[WIP] Mine Tileset

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Phitt

Re: [WIP] Mine Tileset

Post by Phitt »

Made a huge pit for testing.
SpoilerShow
The good news is you can replace the automatically placed ceiling shafts on the floor below with an appropriate model (a large shaft, like in the upper level). The bad news is that ceiling tiles rotate randomly and there is no way to change that (the direction you can choose in the editor has no effect on ceiling tiles). That means I'm very limited in what I can do, only 1 tile pits and 3x3 and 5x5 etc are possible and certainly no pit tileset. But whatever, I guess I'll simply make one large 3x3 and possibly 1 tile natural pits for special occasions and leave it be.
Batty

Post by Batty »

oooh I like that, an instadeath chasm!
Komag

Post by Komag »

hmm, strange problem. Maybe you could put NO ceiling in those spots, and then put custom "walls" around the edges of the pit that only have models way up high where the ceiling shaft actually is
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Komag wrote:hmm, strange problem. Maybe you could put NO ceiling in those spots, and then put custom "walls" around the edges of the pit that only have models way up high where the ceiling shaft actually is
That could actually work, good idea. I only hope using the tileset won't become too confusing for other people...:)

And I should probably post in the editor feature requests thread...no idea why ceiling tiles can't be rotated manually.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Once animations get unlocked, we should get to work on retractable bridges as well as draw bridges.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Done with the basic tileset. You can make any weird pit construction you like now.
SpoilerShow
It looks very 'tiley' right now, but that's the way it is in a tile based game I guess. I'll try to make some deco object so not all pit walls look the same.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Yup, definitely feeling the need for retractable bridges. GET THAT MORG AWAY FROM ME!
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

I don't think there'd be much problems with it being rounded off unless it's far out enough that it looks weird to falling players. Also, a rope bridge would look awesome.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Wow - every few days I check back on this thread and the mines just keep getting better and better! Awesome work. Agreed that some sort of bridge would look amazing.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

This is just awesome... :shock:
The pits are.. well i can't say i'm speechless...

You definitely rock Phitt! :D

I'd like to hear how did you manage to make the pits ?
Did you build every combination of wall numbers for the pits ? a single wall, dual, three, etc... ?
Did you build the same for the ceilling pits so the lower level looks exactly the same has the upper one ?
Or am I wrong ?

More generally speaking, I would love to read advises from you about constructing a basic tileset...
I mean basic advise, errors to avoid and the like...