Magic is too cumbersome...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Isaac

Re: Magic is too cumbersome...

Post by Isaac »

Playing it awhile, I do notice that once the spell is cast, it defaults to unselected runes ~but if all they have is Fireburst, it does put the mage at a disadvantage to the other classes, because it adds 1 to 3 additional clicks required for their attack ~even just to cast the spell again. It seems to me (unless it was deliberate, reasoned balance issue), that the spell block could retain it's state after a spell is cast; such that if they have the energy, they could cast it again.
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

I really feel like the complaints are missing the point. You're dismissing it as bad UI when it's just part of the style. YES, it requires physical dexterity on the player's part, that's part of the entire decision to make this style of game instead of turn based. If it was "easier" to cast, they'd just have to nerf casting power. Twitch reflexes are simply part of the design decision here, just like they are in action games or FPS games. That's what separates these games from turn based combat RPGs.

I'm a turn based fan myself. I think the "Wizardry system" is my favorite over the years (give all commands up front, then watch one round play out). But that's not what this game is about. This is a DM/EoB style game and this is how they're played. Your ability to physically keep up with the pace of real time combat is part of the game, just like with other action based games.

It's OK if you don't prefer this style and would rather it be different, but it's not broken. It's working as intended. It may not be your cup of tea, but it's working exactly like it's supposed to.
daggah

Post by daggah »

For those of you trying to pull the "old school" card defending this system, I think you aren't really remembering the old school games very well:

Just sayin'.
Halk

Post by Halk »

I remember the EoTB system well enough. You what happens after you click on that fireball? You can click on the next one once the cooldown is finished. Easier than LoG.
daggah

Post by daggah »

Halk wrote:I remember the EoTB system well enough. You what happens after you click on that fireball? You can click on the next one once the cooldown is finished. Easier than LoG.
Exactly my point. :) Old school games didn't needlessly complicate things for the sake of being "complicated."
Halk

Post by Halk »

daggah wrote:
Halk wrote:I remember the EoTB system well enough. You what happens after you click on that fireball? You can click on the next one once the cooldown is finished. Easier than LoG.
Exactly my point. :) Old school games didn't needlessly complicate things for the sake of being "complicated."
Oh, so you're agreeing with me and saying that even the old school games had a UI that was easy to use?
Rednecksith

Post by Rednecksith »

I like the system, but I do agree with the poster who suggested that left-click should select the runes, and right click anywhere on the entry field should cast the spell. That way you could even get rid of the 'cast' button on the right, and make the entry field a little bit bigger overall. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally tried to click that stupid cast button in combat and added a rune, miscasting the spell and sucking up precious mana.

Other than that, I think it's perfectly fine.
Sometimes I wish the world was flat so I could push people off.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

I actually played EoB before I played Dungeon Master and found DM to be the better game, exactly because the way Magic was handled in EoB.
But EoB had the better graphic of course.
daggah

Post by daggah »

Halk wrote:
daggah wrote:
Oh, so you're agreeing with me and saying that even the old school games had a UI that was easy to use?
Yeah. I strongly dislike having to click a bunch of runes every single time I cast a spell. It's repetitive and a bad design choice imo.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

But you had only these two fireballs and then had to rest to get new ones. Imagine how easy EoB would have been without the need for rest.