Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Darklord

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Darklord »

Thels wrote:
Now, if you'd like the snail boss to, say, have a crown on his head, then it's an entirely different matter.
That would be AWESOME! :P

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
antti

Post by antti »

The current rules were made with reverse engineering -style modding in mind and to limit people from spreading our source code around and such. And those rules are likely to stay in place regarding reverse engineering in the future too but since modding and level editing "the official way" will be technically a little different, we can probably apply different rules there.

We'll take a closer look at the guidelines and terms of use closer to the editor's release and I don't think there's any reason to panic yet: we simply haven't just gotten the chance to think the issue through yet. :)
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Billick

Post by Billick »

I'm totally putting a snail boss in my dungeon.
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
Thels

Post by Thels »

In this regard it's indeed better to start with tight rules, and become more lenient as you go along, rather than start out lenient, and be forced to tighten up the rules.
petri

Post by petri »

WOHOO!! I just successfully loaded a custom dungeon neatly packaged and exported as a mod into the game :D

Never mind that the party starting location was incorrect... ;)
Leto

Post by Leto »

petri wrote:WOHOO!! I just successfully loaded a custom dungeon neatly packaged and exported as a mod into the game :D

Never mind that the party starting location was incorrect... ;)
Me too!! Oh well, no. That was just wishful thinking :lol:

Thels wrote: I think you're missing the point.

A Boss Snail that would have the same graphics as a regular snail, just with stronger stats, wouldn't require the inclusion of all graphics data all over again. You'd have to enter data for a new monster, that uses the Snail model, but with different stats.
Well, maybe this was a bad example. But assumed that the stats-code is source-code and therefor AH's source property, and I have in any technical way to extend it rather than provide whole new stats, then my example is right. But please, no discussion about this detail - then forget the stats example and just take a texture example - making a snail have rally stripes is also not possible if you do not create the texture from scratch ;)

(And even this is not possible if you have to ship a material file which is just modified to reference your new texture, since the rest of the material file is AH's property, hope you see the point...).

But anyway, let's stop here since AH will review their rules as stated above :)
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

to list has fallen to 11 :D
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
pulpum

Post by pulpum »

I haven't seen anything (I think) about sound in grimrock editor. can we use grimrock's original background music? (not the main theme) or is it possible to import some background music?

what can we expect for intro screens (like the beautiful screens in grimrock intro)? can we do some? (or just text maybe...) to present the mod in game?
ad&d / ff / d&d
Leto

Post by Leto »

pulpum wrote:I haven't seen anything (I think) about sound in grimrock editor. can we use grimrock's original background music? (not the main theme) or is it possible to import some background music?

what can we expect for intro screens (like the beautiful screens in grimrock intro)? can we do some? (or just text maybe...) to present the mod in game?
Good questions! Regarding the sounds, is there anytink like a sound-trigger (step over it and a sound will be played)?

And what about the dream sequences?
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

[quote="petri"Never mind that the party starting location was incorrect... ;)[/quote]

Sounds like a feature to me =)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..