[Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Modders

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: [Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Mod

Post by Isaac »

AndakRainor wrote:You can take the last version and add your fixes, no one is working on it.

For the ogre and poison cloud problem; with the spell pack, it has been decided that poison cloud would not go through portcullis doors, so you don't need this fix.
This means that a party can be attacked [through the bars] with impunity by slimes, yet cannot themselves attack the slime.
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

Isaac wrote:
AndakRainor wrote:You can take the last version and add your fixes, no one is working on it.

For the ogre and poison cloud problem; with the spell pack, it has been decided that poison cloud would not go through portcullis doors, so you don't need this fix.
This means that a party can be attacked [through the bars] with impunity by slimes, yet cannot themselves attack the slime.
I don't see this as a problem, as same is the case if you don't know the poison spell.
My Grimrock mod (LoG1): The Onkalo Project
My Android (and windows desktop) game: Balloon Gentleman
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

Ok, if you really don't believe me, I'll go through them one by one. Not sure how I typed 16 instead of 18, incidentally.
I get that bugs exist, I'm not doubting your ability to find them. I'm saying that I don't believe all of these bugs to be major (it's fairly evident which ones are). In any case, are you offering to fix them? Seeing as you've previously pointed them out and they still exist, it doesn't seem so, in which case we have no one who has offered to fix them.
The Lost Archives: Gower's Ring doesn't work and also crashes on save, extreme music volume is not only ethically irresponsible (you can literally damage people's ears by doing this, that's just scummy and not funny) but also virtually guarantees clipping
I'm hoping this is just outdated like the "there's bugs on the tracker that hasn't been updated for months", but I'm pretty certain everything in the room works at this point. I've heard your complaint about the music multiple times, and I already turned it down, unless that somehow dodged being put into the final version.
it's neither a personal affront to the room designers, nor an attempt to drag the project down, to acknowledge them
I get that, but that still doesn't change the fact that for the vast majority of them, the author isn't about to come back and fix those bugs, or realistically that anyone else will.
I know you can complete the final boss as it currently stands, but do you really consider it finished?
Like I've told you, if you have feedback, feel free to share it. Vague complaints don't help anyone. I did think, other than rebalancing, it was working largely as I intended it to. If you don't like how it works, you can say something now, just as you could have a few months ago when I was working on it.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Jgwman wrote:I get that bugs exist, I'm not doubting your ability to find them. I'm saying that I don't believe all of these bugs to be major (it's fairly evident which ones are). In any case, are you offering to fix them? Seeing as you've previously pointed them out and they still exist, it doesn't seem so, in which case we have no one who has offered to fix them.
I think we will have no choice but to fix the major bugs if we want to release the mod one day. So at least bugs that can crash the game, or trap a player in a game state that does not allow to reach the end. I am available to fix part of it, but please, as a team we could share the work. (I am working on my own mod too... As you are!). I would prefer to deal with lua code / grimrock editor fixes though.

So, we can make a short list of volunteers, who is willing to join?
minmay

Post by minmay »

Jgwman wrote:I'm hoping this is just outdated like the "there's bugs on the tracker that hasn't been updated for months", but I'm pretty certain everything in the room works at this point. I've heard your complaint about the music multiple times, and I already turned it down, unless that somehow dodged being put into the final version.
The room in the latest version still has the music at 400% and 700% volume, still has the broken Gower's Ring, and still has the glass bell bug.
Jgwman wrote:In any case, are you offering to fix them? Seeing as you've previously pointed them out and they still exist, it doesn't seem so, in which case we have no one who has offered to fix them.
I'd be fine with fixing most of them. I didn't offer because I was under the impression I was supposed to let the rooms' authors do it.
The ones that I DON'T offer to fix:
- Ascension, because I don't want to do all the modeling work necessary to fix the amount of clips in the room, nor design and implement crow flight at the moment.
- Thelonius's Hermitage, because I can't figure out what the intended behavior of the puzzles actually is.

And obviously I can't just finish other people's 2 unfinished rooms, because that would just be weird.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Jgwman wrote:... in which case we have no one who has offered to fix them.
The way we have done it before, is to get as many rooms up and running as possible, and we would all play the map with an eye for mistakes, and later compare notes; (in ORRR2's case it was using Skype Chat; this allowed instant conference to all involved, and all involved had access to the Dropbox hosted master files). We played through rooms where the designer had long since left the forums, and with no means to contact them. Where designers could be contacted, we could ask the intent of something problematic, and often brainstormed a fix on the spot. We went room by room, until each was it was working as intended; and then we focused on frame-rate, and polish.

Framerate won't be an issue this time, but for LoG1, that meant optimizing (and/or creating new) dungeon models to replace even some of the standard ones, and scripted a layout manager that would actually delete most of the room assets outside of the one the party was currently in; then spawn it all back (in discrete chunks) when needed.

Now we have the Pivotal tracker page, and the way this can work, is to post tested code fixes to the issue in question, and at milestone releases, someone specific includes the corrections to the new release.
minmay wrote:And obviously I can't just finish other people's 2 unfinished rooms, because that would just be weird.
We did force some people's rooms to work; without permission... It's a double edge, but it gets it done.

My own ORRR2 room had several changes done without my knowing about them; but most I did know; or at least knew fixes would happen. There was a month or so, in the end, that I simply could not work on it; so Diarmuid hammered it out himself, to make the deadline. This was good, and welcomed by me... Though in three instance, a misunderstanding did minor damage to two puzzles and a room feature. :| But better the fixes than not. The only reason I didn't make later corrections, was that the map was unanimously locked, and hosted on Steam and Nexus. [Not worth risking new bugs for changing it.]

The entire condemned area in ORRR2, was [afaik] unplanned. Diarmuid did it to fill in the empty space between rooms, and through reserved space whose designers never delivered their rooms. Some later additions to the condemned area included secret doors into orphaned areas inside other modder's rooms; where they had been walled off to the player after completion.
Last edited by Isaac on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOM

Post by THOM »

I still have to take over the file to add my secound room. And in that time I wanted to fix the issues with my present room.

When Aaneton has done his work, I can take the file...
THOM formaly known as tschrage
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

THOM wrote:I still have to take over the file to add my secound room. And in that time I wanted to fix the issues with my present room.

When Aaneton has done his work, I can take the file...
I will return the file to dropbox with my fix today evening (it's morning here right now). I'll let you know in this thread when its returned.
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

I agree with Minmay when he says: "The ones that I DON'T offer to fix:
- Thelonius's Hermitage, because I can't figure out what the intended behavior of the puzzles actually is.
".
I am now working on it and I plan to add some clues and prevent some bad loops...
But one thing couldn't be changed: the non_sensic part of the story...
Sorry for that
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

R46 uploaded, ratlab cosmetics fix, left hall of queens untouched now that spell has been fixed. Now both my rooms should 100% done all reported bugs fixed until someone finds something new ;)