congratulations devs!!!!!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
uutarn

Re: congratulations devs!!!!!

Post by uutarn »

Indeed. I repeat what other people have said in this thread. Been playing for about 3 hours and i dont wanna go to work tomorrow ;).

I have been playing games now for about 20 years so as you can guess i started in the 8 bit era. Everything from shooters and beat-em ups, survival horror and adventure, to action and puzzle.
Now in all these games i have played there are ones that stand out, ones that are memorable, ones that make you smile when you talk about them.
What is it that makes them special?
It certainly isnt from over saturisation of adverts, flashy fmv sequences or how loud your weapon goes boom.
What that special quality comes from varies i think from person to person and can range from environment and temperament, but one thing that is common throughout is love of the game.

Of course i mean from the developers side.
If the developer loves the game he/she is making, then that love will be shown to the players.
If you love what you're doing, then everything will be executed to perfection; that is what strikes me with legend of grimrock.

The execution to me, is similar to (and i may be bold with my following statement but i stand by it) silent hill 2, resident evil 4, half life, baldurs gate etc.
Now of course im not saying these games are in the same ball park, but they all have a style, bounderies (gamewise) and a "flavour" and thats why imho i think LoG is like them.

There are restraints in LoG, purposefully there im sure to capture that old school feel (which it does more than adequately) but it doesnt matter in the slightest. I dont need special moves, big graphical effects or voice overs to enjoy a game. Because if its loved during its creation, it will be perfect in every way it can be.

Now i suppose getting to the point, as i stated earlier i have played many different genres of games for many years, and have seen the decline of games, not in a numerical sense but an artistic sense. It used to be about creativity, now its about the dollar.
It would be naíve of me to assume otherwise or course, but thats why games like this are even more important, to show that you dont need the glitz and glamour to have a successful game (which i earnestly hope LoG will be), you just need tlc.

I appologise for the long post, its just something i had to get off my chest.
So to all the extremely talented folks at almosthuman, thankyou so much for all the hard work. You have created a thing of beauty and it is very much appreciated.
Hixmegistos

Post by Hixmegistos »

I just registered to say a big damn THANK YOU! to the devs.

The game is everything i hoped it would be. Awesome.
marcuz99

Post by marcuz99 »

LoG is great! best dungeon crawler since the nineties. That's not to say that there is no stuff that i would like to add or make differently, but, oh boy, this is so much better than what I thought it would be! You guys made a very fine, captivating, enjoyable game!
And I'm actually working hard to explore it all without starve or being killed, while I could breeze without breaking a sweat through every corner, item, secret and monster of the first two Eye of the Beholder games.
Grimrock has everything you can come to like in those games, Black Crypt and Dungeon Master; come to think to it, it is exactly what the premises and the hype suggested: quite a feat in the game industry.
Cpt. Beercan

Post by Cpt. Beercan »

Awesome game; three cheers for the devs. Takes me back to those Eye of the Beholder days, 20 odd years ago.

Wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, so i could a few more hours..
Runean

Post by Runean »

I'm with the others, had to register just to say thanks - it's soon 3 am and I gotta force myself to stop now ;)
You guys rock.
thaine

Post by thaine »

Forcing myself to take a quick break to say Job well done, and Thank You! to the devs. I am taking my time and have only just started level two, but I am loving every minute of it.
Verts

Post by Verts »

Love the game got to level 4 so far having a blast i hope it continues and i hope you guys continue to make good Quality games / addons / whatever and Top seller on steam last i checked too so congrats
TZO2k12

Post by TZO2k12 »

Might as well add me to the list of revelers! Thanks for your outstanding support and contribution to the genre!
Assumptions are the practical logic of the ignorant.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

After a hour and fourty nine minutes to the second I can not love you any more for this game. All my love has been e-mailed to you this instant and I am just telling you through the forums that this game is great.

Only problem I noticed is that if a pressure plate opens a door leading to a dead end, if you hind on the other side of the pressure plate and stand there, the door will stay closed, however the enemy that followed you there will stand right there and not budge.
quester99

Post by quester99 »

Congratulations Devs! Great game! Graphics, ambient sound, music, atmosphere, puzzles, spells, enemies, story, everything is so spot on and amazing.

Bought a GOG version and a Dev Direct with Steam Key to support you. Best wishes for a profitable venture. Much deserved!

At last I can ' Dungeon Master' again hahaha...wooooot!