Legend of Grimrock 2 suggestions

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Ixnatifual

Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 suggestions

Post by Ixnatifual »

It's not really about competition or "other players", but about the game punishing you for choosing immersion. I think that's always a bad design choice because a lot of people who would have preferred immersion are going to end up playing a less enjoyable game because they are encouraged to pick the more advantageous option.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Ixnatifual wrote:It's not really about competition or "other players", but about the game punishing you for choosing immersion. I think that's always a bad design choice because a lot of people who would have preferred immersion are going to end up playing a less enjoyable game because they are encouraged to pick the more advantageous option.
I haven't even read anything else in this thread for many pages, but this is quoted for truth. I like minimal HUDs for immersion's sake, and I am glad when game makers wisely make design logic decisions based on that foundation :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Punkboyleech

Post by Punkboyleech »

Hey all, I have only recently become active on this Forum, but hopefully I can remedy that now.

I grew up playing the Dungeon Master series (DM), DM:Chaos Strikes Back, and DM2:Skullkeep. I also got a chance to try the first two Ultima's along with Stonekeep. I say this because I want you to understand what games I am using to measure LoG against (when I do feel like measuring it against those, that is... LoG was a fantastic love-letter to those classic games, and the amount AH has provided to help us mod has gotten me to be very active about suggesting the game to all my friends.)

(A) Outdoor Environment: "Dungeon Master 2: Skullkeep" had this for the first areas you go to in the game, and I believe it is part of the reason Skullkeep stands out among all the other games in this Genre I've played. I would love to see an environmental system come into play in the next game, I believe this would introduce possibility for puzzles that have not yet been done. Skullkeep only had night, but it had normal, raining, and heavy raining/lighting strikes. To freshen the idea, you could have all that, but also do day vs night, fog, etc. I believe now that they have escaped from Grimrock, it would be nice to have them escape into an area that is not so safe per se. Even in Skullkeep, you had different areas of outside... there was normal outside, then their was the graveyard and tree monster part, along with the wolf area.
Sprawler wrote:-Make in more wide open area/ similar to ishar
-when doings large open area's try not make gimrorock like modern rpg's : large cities with lots of npc's , quest and subquest , insted make it more odlschool like Ishar. Less npc's , lots of location do go on begining , some minor tips where to go. Lot of monster lurking in land , some crazy mage swating for you in swamp or huge scary beasts waiting in middle of forest . Some old school stuff like it :) ...
I agree completely with this, a world untamed and unpopulated is much preferred. But I would suggest possibly making a semi-big adventure first with a few environments as listed by Trap in his post, and then create expansions that open other areas, or change current areas (although I haven't really played it since "Frozen Throne", but WoW kept things fresh by changing their world when "Burning Crusade" came out... but this would be different because users could go back to Grimrock 2:non-expansion, and play how the world was, then in expansion 5, you have various changes to the land to reflect what is going on with the story). Getting "Grimrock" out of the dungeons is much needed IMO (course, Grimrock is the mountain they in... so getting out into the open would sort of cause the name to lose it's original meaning... but hey, Final Fantasy was called that because the studio at the time was going under, and they thought that was the last game they were gonna make lol). If it is brought out into the open, I am sure it will not only pull in new players, but also make things fresh enough for current players to justify spending $20+ on a new Grimrock Adventure.

(B) Less Specialized characters: Personally, I loved the Dungeon master ways of allowing your entire party to learn all the other class skills, it just happened that your party had people that started off better in their various areas. I know that sort of eliminates the Unique-ness of each of the characters... but why not give each character a special passive that works for them (Axe Proficiency, potion master, etc). I didn't like the fact that when I played through using the default party only one character could cast magic, but I remedied that by getting ol' Skullkeep out, booting up DOSbox, and gettin' to playin the good ol' game. I love LoG, and in truth, can't say this suggestion would be better for the masses than what they've got, but personally I preferred the ability to go grind with my casters up front using weapons and my warriors standing in the back attempting spells.

(C) NPCs: I guess I should just say I am using Skullkeep as my main point of reference, because it is Skullkeep that had NPCs. I liked this addition to the genre, it meant all those weapons and loot I got from killing monsters, could be picked up and taken back to town to sell. Of course, I quickly got to where I owned all the best equipment I could get from the NPCs, and then didn't know what to do with all the pretty gems and coins I had. I agree with Ixnatifual when he mentioned the idea of NPC shopkeepers not selling the best weapons. The best weapons should be made of such material, that only a few are around in the world... maybe even only one of each kind (sword, staff, axe, bow, crossbow, etc), and sure, they'd sell for a whole lotta money, but would you want to. I would also think having an enchanter might be nice, but he'd be expensive and require certain materials, that way enchants aren't something you just get at a whim.

(D)... no... no D, I have gone on long enough, and I am sure the majority probably didn't even make it to here : P (if you did, good on ya).

I am doubting AH is gonna do another Grimrock right after releasing their first, I would assume they'd wanna delve into another game or two before returning to this game to make a Sequal/second installment. AH, thank you for LoG, it was a fantastic game, and thank you for sharing so many of your assets for us to give a look when trying to create our own.

There were other things people mentioned that I thought were rather silly to suggest implementing, but rather then calling them stupid ideas or such, I'm just gonna leave them be, because sometimes bad ideas are the spark needed for awesome ideas to come into existence.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Heya! Haven't posted for a while now..

Stuff I'd love to see in the sequel:

1. If the combat's gonna remain real-time, make it more in-depth. Dancing around the enemies is neat but loses charm kinda fast. Add stuff like timed blocking, attacking in accordance to enemies' animation, or something like that. Maybe enemies who can attack diagonally as well?

2. More RPG- options. I want to see more ways to customize my party, to make one playthrough truly different from the other. Some NPCs to talk to would be nice as well.

3. Also, balance evading! It's far more useful than heavy armor. And making ranged weapons be depndant on strength seems silly. Minotaur archers everywhere!