Brilliant game... but. A letter to AH and complainers.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
dbgager

Re: Brilliant game... but. A letter to AH and complainers.

Post by dbgager »

Reading through these threads is ridiculous.

I got news for people. You are entitled to nothing. If the developers want to change something thats on them. When you purchased the game . You purchased it as is.

When you buy a cell phone do you think the manufacturer should change it because you don't like where a button is, or think the screen should be larger.

You are entitled to nothing.

The poster was right. A lot of you think you are entitled to changes....Well your not.

And especially if it concerns changes that effect everybody, which lower difficulty, since those changes change the game, and effect everybody.

All you people whining for an eaiser game actually consider yourself gamers.....lol.
Many, many people love the game just the way it is...Majority always rules.
Kurgen

Post by Kurgen »

dbgager wrote:You are entitled to nothing.
Who said we were? Ah... yes, YOU! Here you are again, telling people what they think.
dbgager wrote:All you people whining for an eaiser game actually consider yourself gamers.....lol.
...and there you go again, assuming that any criticism or suggestion is to make the game easier.

You're a disgrace.
hapro

Post by hapro »

dbgager wrote:Reading through these threads is ridiculous.

I got news for people. You are entitled to nothing. If the developers want to change something thats on them. When you purchased the game . You purchased it as is.

When you buy a cell phone do you think the manufacturer should change it because you don't like where a button is, or think the screen should be larger.

The poster was right. A lot of you think you are entitled to changes....Well your not.

And especially if it concerns changes that effect everybody, which lower difficulty, since those changes change the game, and effect everybody.

All you people whining for an eaiser game actually consider yourself gamers.....lol.
Actually, cell phone manufacturers do EXTENSIVE user testing and make loads of modifications based on the feedback they get. The phone market in particular is one of the most user-defined markets because there's such high competition that each new release attempts to do absolutely everything anyone could ever want. You are correct in that only the developers can change something, and people are offering lots of suggestions for things they can change. Ultimately, it's still up to the developers to decide whether or not to add that suggestion in, so forum users attempting to stifle criticism and suggestions are counterproductive, as you're trying to assume the developer's role of whether or not a suggestions is worthy of making it into the game or not.

Also, congrats, you're part of the problem, and this post will mean nothing to you and you'll brush it off without understanding what I'm really trying to tell you.
Pipsissiwa

Post by Pipsissiwa »

dbgager wrote:Reading through these threads is ridiculous.

WHen you buy a cell phone do you think the manufacturer should change it because you don't like where a button is, or think th escreen should be larger.

THe poster was right. A lot of you think you are entitled to changes....Well your not.

Another person missing the point. None of us are demanding anything or think we are entitled to anything other than expressing our opinions. What on earth is the point of these forums if we all just post 'this is great' ,'yes it is isn't it'. How dull and pointless for everyone and especially the devs. We're all still playing the game as it is right now. We're just sharing some thoughts. Feedback of ALL KINDS has an important role in an undertaking like this.

And yes, if enough people struggled with (using your example) phone design and drew that issue to the designers attention, then often redesigns happen - or the next iteration will take it into account. And yes, sometimes some people who liked it how it was will be annoyed instead. And will give feedback. And so on.

And many, many people (while still loving the game) have perfectly reasonable suggestions to make. Majority doesn't always rule. In this case, the Devs do, and there are only four of them. Unless they themselves say otherwise, it seems reasonable to assume that they are intelligent, curious people who will want to hear all views about their product, not just those saying it is perfect. Surrounding yourself with nothing but yes-men (and women) just leads to a distorted 'Emperors New Clothes' type situation.

Edit: No, suggestions/ideas for changes/modifications have nothing inherently to do with making the game EASIER. Many suggestions will simply make it more fun/playable, (eg: more symbols/colours for the map notes instead of just 'N') - I'd love to make up my own series of codes/colours for stuff on the map.

Plus being a gamer doesn't mean you like everything to be hard. I personally play games not just for a challenge (although I enjoy that - hell I finished Demons Souls) but also because they are fun. Please don't define 'gamer' (someone who plays and enjoys games) by your own personal tastes. TY.

Plus you have clearly never heard of game patches, which devs bring out AFTER a game is publsihed bacuse they realise things need changing/fix bugs/add or remove features. Buying a game does not mean it will end up as it was on day one, in fact these days its a near certainty that it won't.
Last edited by Pipsissiwa on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd let you live but I can't, I'm a willing servant of Evil"

Pipsissiwa
Geek Girl/Gamer Girl
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

I agree with OP.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

There's a big difference between:

1) Complaining, ranting, whining or general moaning with no constructive comment
2) Criticism based on a personal feeling of how something "should" be
3) Constructive criticism based on professional experience or commonly accepted engineering or design principles

I'm always going to listen to someone talking at level 3 over and above any of the other two. Just because a forum gives you a place to say what you think, it doesn't mean that anything you say is useful for the developers, especially if you're just basing it on a feeling, heresay or some other non-measurable factor. Some people say all feedback is useful, but that's actually not true, some feedback can be distracting and damaging, hiding the real issues that need to be addressed. It's down to developers to work out what are the most egregious issues that needs resolving, and that takes valuable time. They are just four guys. If 90% of people are saying "It's great, but I would prefer X" (which is just an opinion) when in fact 10% of people are having technical problems but not offering that feedback (which is an engineering, design and customer satisfaction issue), then there is a big problem for the developers as they aren't getting the full picture.

Most feedback to developers is crap, because most gamers are not developers, engineers, UI designers or other professional discipline and don't know how to communicate their thoughts in a clear and professional manner. This is why pro dev houses don't ask random people on the internet for their views, they run proper usability testing inhouse where they can track and measure user behaviour and change their designs based on the input they get from the testing.

I'm an interaction and UI designer for websites and apps, and can identify several problems with the Grimrock interface that I've shared with the developers. But I'm not a game designer, so my views are just that: personal views, albeit based on sound UI prinicples as applied to web apps, and 25 years experience playing computer games. If they implement any of my suggestions, I'd be thrilled, but I'm under no illusion that they are free to ignore everything I've said. I've no problem with that at all. The developers are not stupid, and they aren't going to fix "complaint X" or "gripe Y" if it doesn't solve a real problem.
Last edited by gambit37 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Minax

Post by Minax »

dbgager wrote:When you purchased the game . You purchased it as is.
Yes we bought the game as it is. And if a developers is sensible then they will appreciate it when their fanbase is providing feedback - because if they don't, people will think twice before buying another product from them. Note: Appreciating feedback does not mean that they will do everything the community wants them to do.
dbgager wrote:[...]And especially if it concerns changes that effect everybody, which lower difficulty, since those changes change the game, and effect everybody.
I highly doubt that they would implement any changes to core mechanics without making them optional. And clearly no-one's enjoyment is magically lowered because they - for example - introduced difficulty options for puzzles, or a slower combat option.
dbgager wrote:Many, many people love the game just the way it is...Majority always rules.
Sure! We might as well stop reporting bugs and glitches because, even with them, the game is still good.
People are not saying that the game is bad and the majority seem to like it very much - they are offering suggestions to make it even better. It's up to the Almost Human to decide which suggestions they can and want to implement without ruining the "spirit" of the game.
"Oh what secrets we could tell if you'd listen and be still
Rid the stink and the noise from our skirts
But you haven't got the clue and perhaps you never will
Mute we stand on the cold plains of Wiltshire "
jagintedu

Post by jagintedu »

cryocore wrote:
To the complainers if the game is too hard and you're frustrated by the game or aspects of it and as a result have less enjoyment then this game was never meant for you. Asking it to be changed to suit you is the worst sort of gamer entitlement. To clarify if the game is too hard for you, you have no right to complain as you were never the intended audience.
what if you cant complete the game without support due to big ass creepy spiders? :) aint that hard fighting them. if they were looking like ants or something.
Pipsissiwa

Post by Pipsissiwa »

gambit37 wrote:There's a big difference between:

1) Complaining, ranting, whining or general moaning with no constructive comment
2) Criticism based on a personal feeling of how something "should" be
3) Constructive criticism based on professional experience or commonly accepted engineering or design principles

I'm always going to listen to someone talking at level 3 over and above any of the other two. Just because a forum gives you a place to say what you think, it doesn't mean that anything you say is useful for the developers, especially if you're just basing it on a feeling, heresay or some other non-measurable factor. Some people say all feedback is useful, but that's actually not true, some feedback can be distracting and damaging, hiding the real issues that need to be addressed. It's down to developers to work out what are the most egregious issues that needs resolving, and if 90% of people are saying "It's great, but I would prefer X" (which is just an opinion) when in fact 10% of people are having serious problems but not offering that feedback (which is a serious customer satisfaction issue), then there is a big problem for the developers as they aren't getting the full picture.

Most feedback to developers is crap, because most gamers are not developers, engineers, UI designers or other professional discipline and don't know how to communicate their thoughts in a clear and professional manner. This is why pro dev houses don't ask random people on the internet for their views, they run proper usability testing inhouse where they can track and measure user behaviour and change their designs based on the input they get from the testing.

I'm an interaction and UI designer for websites and apps, and can identify several problems with the Grimrock interface that I've shared with the developers. But I'm not a game designer, so my views are just that: personal views, albeit based on sound UI prinicples as applied to web apps. If they implement any of my suggestions, I'd be thrilled, but I'm under no illusion that they are free to ignore everything I've said. I've no problem with that at all. The developers are not stupid, and they aren't going to fix "complaint X" or "gripe Y" if it doesn't solve a real problem.

My issue is with some people on these forums, who are nothing to do with AH, taking it upon themselves to police the forums and rudely telling people that they cannot say anything against how the game is now. Especially how rude, pathetic and childish this is getting. You'd think we were in the school yard, you really would. I hoped for so much more from the forums for this game.

Its pretty easy to see the difference between someone just moaning and someone with a genuine idea or problem, in fairness.

Of course the devs aren't going to implement anything we say, let alone everything. If anyone thinks that ANYTHING we suggest or say will get implemented then they are being very naive, but constructive suggestions should be welcomed, not flamed, hounded and insulted. It doesn't mean they are going to happen.

Only the devs get to say what is and isn't worthwhile feedback, not some self styled forum vigilante who has nothing to do with AH. I also suspect that many are probably vocal on other game forums doing exactly what we are doing here - giving feedback.
"I'd let you live but I can't, I'm a willing servant of Evil"

Pipsissiwa
Geek Girl/Gamer Girl
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

Loktofeit wrote:Kudos to Almost Human on a truly incredible game, however I have to disagree with the rather arrogant and exaggerated portrayal of the people presenting, often constructively, feedback on the game.

Personally, I like when my game's community gives me feedback. Not only do I like it but I often make a point to ask for it. That doesn't mean I will automatically change things just because a couple posters asked for the change and it doesn't mean the people giving feedback are being 'arrogant' or 'crying' about anything. Your most avid fans are a great source of insight (among many sources) into your game.
Perfect post, ripped the words right out of my mouth. If there is anyone being arrogant or dismissive it's the OP or posters like dbgager.
Last edited by Renevent on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.