Please provide a demo in the future.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
spreadsheets

Re: Please provide a demo in the future.

Post by spreadsheets »

Absurd semantics. Theft is theft ~it's sufficient to simply be taking it. That rational doesn't work if you are in their warehouse leaving with a box, even if you plan to drop the money for it in the mail later.
But you are not leaving their warehouse with a box!
You got your thing from the friend who rightfully purchased his box.
You're leaving his house with your box. You are not taking anything away from anyone.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

regomar wrote:My husband writes erotica professionally. (I know, don't ask) People pirate his work CONSTANTLY. He has had numerous previous pirates tell him how much they loved his work and that they never would have found it without piracy. He has experimented with putting stories up for free and the more it spread the more money he ended up making.

Bands put their albums up on piracy sites all the time even though they still sell albums. Most recently was a band called Colosso that released an album on The Pirate Bay. Their sales and concert attendance went up wildly due to the free publicity piracy provides.
That is any artist's right ~provided it's their work. There have been instances where a designer really wanted to release their game for free, but could not, because they didn't technically own all of it. If your husband was paid a commission for exclusivity ~would he still put the text up for free? How does that swing with the publisher that paid him for exclusive rights to his work?
spreadsheets wrote:
Absurd semantics. Theft is theft ~it's sufficient to simply be taking it. That rational doesn't work if you are in their warehouse leaving with a box, even if you plan to drop the money for it in the mail later.
But you are not leaving their warehouse with a box!
You got your thing from the friend who rightfully purchased his box.
You're leaving his house with your box. You are not taking anything away from anyone.
You don't get to buy it without an agreement; that agreement is your word (and legal binding) to adhere to the terms. Read the terms you agree to when you buy it.
Last edited by Isaac on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
spreadsheets

Post by spreadsheets »

Isaac wrote:
regomar wrote:My husband writes erotica professionally. (I know, don't ask) People pirate his work CONSTANTLY. He has had numerous previous pirates tell him how much they loved his work and that they never would have found it without piracy. He has experimented with putting stories up for free and the more it spread the more money he ended up making.

Bands put their albums up on piracy sites all the time even though they still sell albums. Most recently was a band called Colosso that released an album on The Pirate Bay. Their sales and concert attendance went up wildly due to the free publicity piracy provides.
That is any artist's right ~provided it's their work. There have been instances where a designer really wanted to release their game for free, but could not, because they didn't technically own all of it. If your husband was paid a commission for exclusivity ~would he still put the text up for free? How does that swing with the publisher that paid him for exclusive rights to his work?
You can just put in the respective holder of rights for the example you are using where she put her husband. It's not hard.
I am starting to lose my patience, how do you not understand these concepts?
regomar

Post by regomar »

Isaac wrote:That is any artist's right ~provided it's their work. There have been instances where a designer really wanted to release their game for free, but could not, because they didn't technically own all of it. If your husband was paid a commission for exclusivity ~would he still put the text up for free? How does that swing with the publisher that paid him for exclusive rights to his work?
Irrelevant. I was responding to your absurd statement of:
Isaac wrote:The only people that think that way, or rationalize for self interest that way, are people that are never on the other end creating what is being stolen.
Which is clearly and demonstrably false. Some of the most creative minds in the world right now are putting their work out there or not minding that it's passed around. even big bands like Nine inch Nails have gotten in on the game and organized download festivals to spread awareness of good music.

Creative minds world-wide have been encouraging piracy of their work as a free promotion for years now. Just because you are ignorant of this does not make it not so.
Halk

Post by Halk »

Isaac, I've created a flowchart for you. It should help you with this thread. I'd like you to follow the flowchart exactly before you post again in this thread. This is for everybody's sanity.

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

regomar wrote:
Isaac wrote:That is any artist's right ~provided it's their work. There have been instances where a designer really wanted to release their game for free, but could not, because they didn't technically own all of it. If your husband was paid a commission for exclusivity ~would he still put the text up for free? How does that swing with the publisher that paid him for exclusive rights to his work?
Isaac wrote:The only people that think that way, or rationalize for self interest that way, are people that are never on the other end creating what is being stolen.
You have a husband!?
Halk

Post by Halk »

Isaac :(

The flowchart :(
regomar

Post by regomar »

Isaac wrote: You have a husband!?
~blinks~

~blinks again~

Did it just get stupider in here?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Halk wrote:Isaac, I've created a flowchart for you. It should help you with this thread. I'd like you to follow the flowchart exactly before you post again in this thread. This is for everybody's sanity.
I have to let it drop... there is no breaching the density. Consider it dropped; but my gosh I feel sorry for the guys that made such a wonderful game; and the industry itself ~you guys are the reason DRM exists. :cry:
spreadsheets

Post by spreadsheets »

Isaac wrote:
regomar wrote:
You have a husband!?
Troll harder.