[Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Modders

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
THOM

Re: [Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Mod

Post by THOM »

Why already a solution if we havn't sorted out if we wanna do that?
THOM formaly known as tschrage

Post by minmay »

Because AndakRainor literally asked me for it?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

I personally agree with THOM on this, but I'm not particularly worried about it.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Thank you for the code example. And don't worry, I won't implement it in orrr3 if it's not wanted. Maybe I will use it in my own project though. I just remembered Minmay talked about it here but forgot others were against it. No problem it is a very minor feature.

Still, generally in mods, I feel a little frustrated when I miss experience by accident. I wonder if a "tag" system would fit better; if you damage a monster, it will award experience on death even if you don't deal the killing blow. Just a bit more complicated to implement, but whatever, for orrr3 it is not very important...
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

I definitely like the concept of a tag system better myself. Doesn't seem too bad to implement, although the way I'm thinking might have too much overhead - seems like you could just use a "take damage" hook for all monsters that applies an onDie hook to give the party members that dealt damage experience. I'm definitely much less familiar with it than you guys are, though.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Also, what do you think about the monsters scaling I proposed? It would go with the class changes and smoothed experience curve I previously proposed. So it would mean:

- Main attribute(s) of a class scale with level.
- Level up requires current level * 1000 experience points at any level.
- Monsters get +5% damage, health and experience awarded per level.

The 5% value can be changed to whatever feels better. This specific value implies that the higher level you are, the closer you are to require 20 times the kills needed at level one to reach the next level.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I don't really favor passive XP gains from combat rewards. All XP gains are personal experience gains. Getting XP for [unintentional] indirect kills seems a bit like a hunter wounding its prey, and having it run off; and later it gets killed by a logging truck. I tend to view un-accessed XP as being unavailable XP, same as with having two monsters behind two doors with but one key, and a so giving only a choice of one encounter or the other.

It would be nice to have a script awarding for deliberate use of traps that kill, but might be tricky to do outside of a few special set-piece traps.

How about having your tag system use a short TTL?

*Edit: "Time To Live". One could use the tiles_moved statistic [or some other means] to decrement a named TTL counter, and at zero, delete the counter; removing the tag.

**(What's to prevent single-shotting every monster in sight, to apply the tag?)
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

AndakRainor wrote:Also, what do you think about the monsters scaling I proposed? It would go with the class changes and smoothed experience curve I previously proposed. So it would mean:

- Main attribute(s) of a class scale with level.
- Level up requires current level * 1000 experience points at any level.
- Monsters get +5% damage, health and experience awarded per level.

The 5% value can be changed to whatever feels better. This specific value implies that the higher level you are, the closer you are to require 20 times the kills needed at level one to reach the next level.
Sounds fine to me, and we can of course determine whether it feels good during playtesting.
Isaac wrote:I don't really favor passive XP gains from combat rewards. All XP gains are personal experience gains. Getting XP for [unintentional] indirect kills seems a bit like a hunter wounding its prey, and having it run off; and later it gets killed by a logging truck. I tend to view un-accessed XP as being unavailable XP, same as with having two monsters behind two doors with but one key, and a so giving only a choice of one encounter or the other.

It would be nice to have a script awarding for deliberate use of traps that kill, but might be tricky to do outside of a few special set-piece traps.

How about having your tag system use a short TTL?

*Edit: "Time To Live". One could use the tiles_moved statistic [or some other means] to decrement a named TTL counter, and at zero, delete the counter; removing the tag.

**(What's to prevent single-shotting every monster in sight, to apply the tag?)
A TTL works for me, although I personally don't have a good concept of how frequently incidental deaths actually do occur, and as such it doesn't come across to me as entirely necessary (but I may be off here).
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Jgwman wrote:
AndakRainor wrote:A TTL works for me, although I personally don't have a good concept of how frequently incidental deaths actually do occur, and as such it doesn't come across to me as entirely necessary (but I may be off here).
You're right, but I can think of two common situations off the top: A room with dynamic [pits/projectile] traps; and telefragging.

*My thought was that a TTL would enforce the need to act while the XPs would still go to the party.... Otherwise XPs might trickle in unexpectedly throughout the game, and them not even know where it came from; and by then, it's not really their fault, nor deserved.