[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

Re: [WIP] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by Komag »

Oh man, I love that ogre guarding his phatt loooot :lol:
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Neikun: Haha, thanks for the support. Whole modding community is amazing here - very encouraging.

@Skuggasveinn: Ahh, yeah - the OBJ export is a little hokey in parts. I now know a lot more than I did a month ago about 3D file formats so should be able to improve that in an upcoming build. When I've smashed the FBX code and the (boring) documentation - I'll get right on it. :)

That Ogre looks very protective of that chest! Love it. When full FBX support is available I can't wait to see what gets added to the game!

@Moutrave: Sounds like the export problem could be caused by the same thing. Everything has been bashed together pretty quickly with the GMT so a few bits are still rough around the edges.

Today's Update: Internet broke for most of the day (boo), which severely hampered FbxSDK progress as I didn't have the docs downloaded. Still managed to get mesh export working though - there are just a few handedness issues with the bone rotations left and we'll have fully rigged mesh export done. Then the import is just the reverse so should be easy. :)
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Woop, woop! Just thought I would sneak another 30 minutes in before I went to bed as I had equations on my mind. Goromorg exported with bone structure:
SpoilerShow
Just need to get the Bone Weights exporting now and the big hurdles are behind us.

Edit: 50% through bone weights and fixed UV problem. Home straight now but must sleep!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Awesome, I'm excited for this big leap in development!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

How can animation files be made for new monsters. I have made animations in blender and it saves the animations as a series of png or jpeg pics. How do I turn those pics into a single animation file like walk, attack and so on?

I cant wait to add a bunch of new mobs for my Kor the Doomed game and DM II and DM III and DM IV.

LG
Dungeon Master and DOOM will live forever.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

LordGarth wrote:How can animation files be made for new monsters. I have made animations in blender and it saves the animations as a series of png or jpeg pics. How do I turn those pics into a single animation file like walk, attack and so on?

I cant wait to add a bunch of new mobs for my Kor the Doomed game and DM II and DM III and DM IV.

LG
The data has to be exported into a file format that supports animation; and read into the GMT via the Assimp library. From there we should be able to save modified animations, and use them in the game.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@LordGarth: As Isaac said, you need to export the animation data into a compatible animation file format. At the moment, it is possible through .DAE or .x, but it seems that in some circumstances it works, but int (many) others it doesn't. While I definitely aim to improve compatibility with Assimp imported models, FBX will also provide an alternative which should be a bit more 'standardised'.

Just a teaser for anyone hoping to see progress. This is the skeleton warrior exported to FBX, loaded in MilkShape 3D, and animated Gangnam Style (badly).

Image.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Great progress! 8-)

(*And if you need testers for the exporter, there are a few of us here. ;) )
Moutrave

Post by Moutrave »

haha ! Need that in game. With custom sounds gangnam / dungeon style...dungnam... :shock:

And yeah if you need testing I'm also more than wiling to help (my QA past never leaves me) :)
!
Batty

Post by Batty »

When I import .obj into Blender they come in blocky & pixelated like the statue here:

So I select the statue & click on shading:smooth and I get this:

It smooths the statue but not the helmet & no matter what I do I can't get the helmet smooth. It looks horrible in-game.
This happens with all >simple objects that have multiple materials and/or detached geometry.
For instance, the alcove, I can smooth everything except the part that gets the dungeon stairs material.

I imported a statue into 3ds (1 month use only :cry: ) & it has the same problem although the body is already smoothed but the helmet remains blocky & won't respond to smoothing.

Any help is appreciated because this is keeping me from working on all but the most simple things. (no gangnam gladiator! :lol: :cry: )