[Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Modders

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
AndakRainor

Re: [Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Mod

Post by AndakRainor »

It seems Jgwman does not visit the forum anymore since August. We should discuss the next steps of the project!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Do we have a cohesive main premise/ [plot/story/format] for the mod?

Lands of Lore had King Richard, and later Dawn, both in need of help, and opposing a mad villain; [Scotia]. The locations were not just a contiguous slice of land, but were errand and quest locations.

What do we have? (I admit to knowing almost nothing about the currently planned adventure, as it stands today... I only recall the gists of some of the original brainstorming discussion by the core ORRR2 team; before John had to marshal his time to the point of eventually leaving the project... And even then, we never had a fully fleshed out concept; only isolated vignettes).

ORRR2 was a (very loosely followed) kind of Wizard's office space (for rent?), where the central hall lead to various internal spaces within the main complex, but was managed by the warden. It was odd, but it worked. Every room (but the first) was optional, but there was a mandatory minimum (of explored rooms) needed to progress to the next stage. I'd like to keep that general mechanic if possible.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Good question, I don't know the story either!

But is there anyone else waiting to add a room to what is already done, or are you the last?
If we have enough rooms, we could list what needs to be done and share it among us before starting the testing phase.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I hope I'm not the last; there is an awful lot of empty space; and in places where there shouldn't be. The players will look at the maps and see this.

The ORRR2 had 22 designers, one was nine years old. I have the impression that many modders might assume they'd need to be scripting-mavens to participate, or be accepted; but it has always been open to all, and a deliberate mixed bag of ideas. We should be able to work anyone's map into the mod; space permitting.

In my case, October and February are the busiest months of the year for me, [RL work]... So I'm not going to get hardly anything done on my room until next month. :(

But I did work on it recently, and I like what I've made so far. It is tempting to want to extend the map into the empty space, but the others stuck to their bounds as expected, back when adjacent space was assumed to belong to someone else; and so a double size map is a bit unfair. [But two separate maps wouldn't be; not if there were none interested in filling the space.]
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Perhaps THOM can post an updated list if we make one; he's second post after the OP. The first list is very outdated.

I do not know who has worked on it, or was planning too. I think there was an informal list many weeks (or months?) back, but I was never scheduled on it.
THOM

Post by THOM »

Why me???

The latest list I've found is this one:
Room 5. THOM, Date TBD - Catacombs (9x9x3) - All Underground.
Room 9. aaneton, 6/6 - Asylum Dungeon (Labs) (9x9x3) - All underground.
Room 11. John Wordsworth (?)- Asylum Dungeon (9x9x3) - All underground.
Room 18. AndakRainor, Date TBD - Dark Tower (9x9x3) - All Inside.
Room 20. minmay, 5/30 - Dark Tower (9x9x3) - All Inside.
Room 22. Isaac, Date TBD - Forbidden Bog (12x12x2) - Top Overground.
AFAIK everyone did his contribution except of John (obviously), Isaac and me with my secound room.

I can try to take the file, but I have not a finished plan for the room. Could take a time to complete it.

What else has to be done after me? Isaac is on his way - and then?
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Actually I just meant that if we make a new list, yours is the second post in the thread; since we cannot get John to update the OP, perhaps you would post the new one, when it's determined.

I might be the last slated for the mod. If so, I don't want to hold it up, or add a delay for a room that might or might not turn out to be worth the wait... We were all supposed to spend a week on the rooms. :oops:

We can if need be, progress as though my room is dropped, and move on to testing. I will still finish it, and integrate it if there is time.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Given how many rooms are still unfinished (less than half of the rooms are fully functional at the moment), I don't think yours is holding things up.
At this point I doubt anyone would mind if you used extra space for your room, as long as you don't encroach on any other rooms. Outdoor rooms already have differing sizes and that space isn't going to be used for anything else.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

I'm still here, I just don't bother to relogin sometimes when I don't need to post.

I posted that outline of a story idea a few pages back, and we went with it at least as far as my final boss design (already implemented) is concerned. Can find it later if you guys can't, on mobile atm.

As for additional new rooms, the only one not mentioned is a newer modder who contacted me in June but has not since. If more rooms are needed, some of the more active guys will have to make them.

Regarding the "half finished" rooms: my opinion is, if the designer can't be contacted to fix the issues (at this point that's pretty likely) then we can fix issues deemed critical, and drop it after that.

I'd be happy to help move things along how ever I'm needed, but unless there's a critical issue in my parts of the mod, I'd rather not jump back in development. In my opinion, as I've said since March or so of this year, there comes a point where you just need to bandage the issues and wrap things up. If you guys want to make it perfect, that's great. But the game has been out two years, and isn't exactly TES tiers of popularity.