[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
JohnWordsworth

Re: [WIP] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Ahh yes, I see. It sounds like it's just the problem with the normal maps then (I was worried it was something else). I've actually got the algorithm outputting the new tangents now, so I'll just let you have a try with that if you don't mind. If it still doesn't work - then I'll take a deeper look at the algorithm. Sorry, I'm using you as my tester instead of testing with a bunch of normal maps myself (I'm just testing the round-trip here).

Updated Download for GMT-04-1-1.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Ahh yes, I see. It sounds like it's just the problem with the normal maps then (I was worried it was something else). I've actually got the algorithm outputting the new tangents now, so I'll just let you have a try with that if you don't mind. If it still doesn't work - then I'll take a deeper look at the algorithm. Sorry, I'm using you as my tester instead of testing with a bunch of normal maps myself (I'm just testing the round-trip here).

Updated Download for GMT-04-1-1.
It works. EDIT: Yes, it does!

EDIT: Wrong alarm, I think I was a bit confused about how normal maps work in this game. I switched the material from one of the original assets and it looks exactly like it does with the toolkit tangent space option now. Problem solved it seems. Thanks and sorry for the confusion!
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

can monsters be resized yet?

Thx,

LG
Dungeon Master and DOOM will live forever.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Phitt: Music to my ears! While it's probably quite frustrating for you having to test it before it works - I never would've ironed out these kinks without you, @Isaac and indeed everyone in this thread putting it through its paces and feeding back - many thanks!

While there are probably a few nuances and bugs left to find, ai definitely feel like we're making some good progress :).

@LordGarth: Theoretically, yes - but it's very fiddly (you have to scale down the one or two root nodes for the animation and then 'scale position z' inversely (so if you scaled down the monster to 0.33x, you would then have to scale the positions up by 3 for the same root nodes. I believe Xanathar is working on a tool to do just this, so I am focussing on other features instead - these features are mostly here just to help people fix imported models and animations!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Wolfen

Post by Wolfen »

Can we use animations that already exist for levers and buttons and such? And on that topic, does the tool now display those animations? Sorry if this is a repeat question, been a while since I looked here and its like double the pages now since I last visited. =)

Also, I assume I would have to add bones to a model to make ANY of these animations work? Or would one suggest I just make my own new animations? I only want to mess with buttons and simple things. Nothing character related.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Wolfen: As far as I can tell, when a model is animated in Grimrock, the node(s) that are animated aren't just 'altered' by the animation by they completely take on the effect of the animation. So, if a secret button is in the middle of a wall, when it's animating from a given file - it will always be in middle of the wall (regardless of where the original mesh was).

Levers however, always seem to be positioned at 0,0,0 so they are probably positioned by the game engine on given properties in the defineObject definition. This is a complete guess though!

Either way - it is possible now to shift animations using GMT - so you can take an animation and shift all of the elements by +0.5X for instance to move it half a unit in the x-axis. Exactly how this maps to the game, I'm afraid I don't know off the top of my head - but I'm almost certain it is now possible to move button animations to different positions on a wall using just the GMT.

With regards to bones - buttons and levers and such aren't actually using bones at all I think, they just work by mapping an animation to a node in the file. I guess it's effectively like saying that there is a single bone for every node generated automatically, and in this case, the whole mesh is mapped to that bone 1:1, so rotating the node/bone 90 degrees rotates the whole node mesh. I'm still learning all of the individual cases, so this is hopefully correct, but not guaranteed!
Wolfen

Post by Wolfen »

Ok, then I am not sure I guess what a "node" is. Is this the same as just a single bone?

Thanks for the detailed answer. It does help a lot (especially once I know what a node is haha)
Komag

Post by Komag »

Any idea how we might control node visibility in-game? Some method to switch on or off a node being shown? Or maybe even a way to "animate" the node to actually move it somewhere it can't be seen, such as inside the rest of the model?

Any way to control which animation a monster will do, or to set up a model just to show a certain animation and that's it? Like the healing crystal maybe? Maybe torchholders have a clue?
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
hannamarin

Post by hannamarin »

Just briefly had a look at the program.
Can you resize an object/creature to fit window so that all of it is visible at one time ?
or reposition the center plane lower down ? so that the top of the object can be seen.

Also a zoom function for smaller items ?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

hannamarin wrote:Just briefly had a look at the program.
Can you resize an object/creature to fit window so that all of it is visible at one time ?
or reposition the center plane lower down ? so that the top of the object can be seen.

Also a zoom function for smaller items ?
The middle mouse scroll wheel does the zoom.
Holding the left mouse button and moving the mouse will reposition the model.