Which did you prefer, Grimrock 1 or 2?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Azel

Re: Which did you prefer, Grimrock 1 or 2?

Post by Azel »

While Taem is a bit harsh with the criticism, I have run in to a similar issue in terms of recommending Grimrock.

There have been plenty of buddies who have watched me work on my Mod (Im the kinda guy that brings his laptop everywhere lol) - and while they are fascinated by the ability to customize a gaming experience, as soon as they start to consider purchasing Grimrock for the sake of trying my Mod they end up avoiding it since it doesn't meet their standard of gaming. Friends will end up asking me why I am not building a Mod in a more sophisticated type of environment, and will recommend other games instead.

I do love the Grimrock world and defend it, but due to the character class implementation (and the problems Taem mentioned), I have had a hard time convincing any of my die-hard gamer friends to invest in Grimrock. When they ask to play the Mod I am working on, I just end up handing them my laptop instead :o

I do not believe that the dev's have abandoned anything at all; in fact they have done everything to support the community. Yet it would be nice to see a more solid implementation of character classes so that Party creation and Skill customization can create truly unique experiences. I would call that a "nice to have" ... not a deal breaker :D
any6

Post by any6 »

I played LoG2 first and it felt really awesome. It's a treasure isle for me and me alone. A place to discover.

I played LoG1 afterwards and the linearity felt constraining. The second game has a superior level system too.
So atmospheres are very different, not really comparable.

But some of the criticisms in this thread I share, LoG1 was far more difficult, gold keys in the first game are more valuable. But the second game I like a lot for the open atmosphere and the joy of discovery. First game had a far better story and development.

Now we're all waiting for LoG3 I guess :)
tantalan

Post by tantalan »

Grimrock 2 is better and I had more fun than in excelent Grimrock 1. So I should call Grimrock 2 brilliant? :-)

LOG 1 was great come back of dungeon type of a game. I loved that feeling to dive in the dungeon. I had a lot of fun with this game. For me, it was perfect but it had some unbalances. I must not use all the spells. The skill tree was unbalanced and too "complex" - i prefered to invest my points in weapons and armor and health and havent found any use in other skills (mage of course invested in intelligence, spells etx.). But nevertheless it was a great game.

LOG 2 was perfect follow-up of the game. It was larger. It had new "areas" (desert, swamp, water) and a lot of "dungeons". It had new weapons. Creators came with new monsters with new movement - for example the frog was great surprise for me :-) I loved, that each monster had different behavior. Simply said, the LOG 2 was larger, with more riddles, new monsters and improved skill tree. It kept cool concept from LOG 1 and added something more to it. In this way I expect the second part of the game should be. Keep what is good, change what is not good, and add more new stuff to it.