Level 9 Pillered Hallway

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
VisualDeadlock

Re: Level 9 Pillered Hallway

Post by VisualDeadlock »

Drax wrote:
VisualDeadlock wrote:This hallway is really a stupid puzzle.

Thaks for the guy who posted the picture, I got through it with that, but it didn't seem to follow the scrolls instructions properly.

Left measn turn and face left or strafe left? Becasue lets say you move into the room leftx2, then strafe right one, (facign the wall northwards), you strafe left, go so far that follows the picture, but then 3 right? Picutre shows going 1 squares south, then forward one then up one and then 3 sqaures further into the room? WTF???
I believe it's left and right side of the corridor as you're facing down it.
Then how do you actually move down the corridor? Left and right in a corridor with width of 2....
Drax

Post by Drax »

Umm, walk? I don't understand the question. If it says "move 2 left, 1 right", that's (if you're facing forward) W,W,D,W. I admittedly only went down it once so I may be forgetting something.
VisualDeadlock

Post by VisualDeadlock »

Arech wrote:
SpoilerShow
w w d w a w d w w w a w w w w d w a w d w w w a w w

that's the key combination to get through it.
see thats why this puzzle doesnt make sense to me.

ww = 2 left, ok i get that
d= strafe right? ok i get that
w = 1 left/1 moving forward

next part of scroll says 3 right, but you're going a, w, d and then 3.......
Drax

Post by Drax »

VisualDeadlock wrote:
Arech wrote:
SpoilerShow
w w d w a w d w w w a w w w w d w a w d w w w a w w

that's the key combination to get through it.

next part of scroll says 3 right, but you're going a, w, d and then 3.......
The scroll says:
"Two times left she slithers, once right, once left, three times right and twice more left. This she repeats twice"
That's:
Left, Left, Right, Left, Right, Right, Right, Left, Left (repeated again).
Or the key combination Arech posted.
VisualDeadlock

Post by VisualDeadlock »

Drax wrote:Umm, walk? I don't understand the question. If it says "move 2 left, 1 right", that's (if you're facing forward) W,W,D,W. I admittedly only went down it once so I may be forgetting something.

so this is kind of my problem, if you're facing down the corridor, then left is really move forward down the corridor

so 2 left = move forward 2
one right = strafe right (so moving one square northwards)
one left = ok move forward one square again (still facing down the corridor)
then the scroll says move 3 right, well, you can't because on your immediate right is a wall...unless for some reason I am now facing southwards, then i can strafe right 3 squares (if I was facing down the corridor, i'd move forward 3), but the picture that was shown and the commands someone posted don't even match that, the go back to the southwall of the corridor before moving 3 steps....
Drax

Post by Drax »

The key combinations and the scroll match, you're just not interpreting them right.

Imagine you're looking down the corridor. Left would also be the southern corridor. Right would be the north corridor. Don't turn your character. Just keep facing straight down (West).
VisualDeadlock

Post by VisualDeadlock »

Drax wrote:The key combinations and the scroll match, you're just not interpreting them right.

Imagine you're looking down the corridor. Left would also be the southern corridor. Right would be the north corridor. Don't turn your character. Just keep facing straight down.
Ok facing down the corridor (on the map, thats facing west)

2 left = w, w (i.e. forward direction, down the corridor)
one right = d (strafed to the right, didn't move down the corridor, but moved to the north wall, still facing down the corridor)
one left = w again (moved forward one, still facing down the corridor)
three right is on scroll next, but on my right is the wall....
Drax

Post by Drax »

VisualDeadlock wrote:
Drax wrote:The key combinations and the scroll match, you're just not interpreting them right.

Imagine you're looking down the corridor. Left would also be the southern corridor. Right would be the north corridor. Don't turn your character. Just keep facing straight down.

one right = d (strafed to the right, didn't move down the corridor, but moved to the north wall, still facing down the corridor)
2 left, w and w
one right, hit D THEN W.
one left, hit A THEN W.

You're either not reading what I'm saying or not getting it. "Left" and "Right" don't just mean "A" and "D", they mean the sides of the corridor.
VisualDeadlock

Post by VisualDeadlock »

Drax wrote:
VisualDeadlock wrote:

2 left, w and w
one right, hit D THEN W.
one left, hit A THEN W.

You're either not reading what I'm saying or not getting it. "Left" and "Right" don't just mean "A" and "D", they mean the sides of the corridor.
I am just not getting it I guess. I had remapped my keys, do D/A mean turn your party to face that direction or strafe to that direction?
Drax

Post by Drax »

A is strafe left, D is strafe right by default. The turn keys are, again by default, Q and E.

Here's a map:
The red lines are where you'll be W-ing. The blue lines mean strafe. Do not turn your character at all. Just keep looking down the corridor.