Dungeon Editor Public Beta

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
petri

Re: Dungeon Editor Public Beta

Post by petri »

Lmaoboat wrote:Is there or will there be any way to select all the assets on the map out of the list instead of clicking on each on in the map?
Rectangle select with the mouse?
antti

Post by antti »

petri wrote:
Lmaoboat wrote:Is there or will there be any way to select all the assets on the map out of the list instead of clicking on each on in the map?
I think he's looking for something like a hierarchy view. The assets can currently only be selected from the map.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Woops, I meant like a big list of all of them.
antti wrote:
petri wrote:
I think he's looking for something like a hierarchy view. The assets can currently only be selected from the map.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I have a bunch of invisible pressure plates triggering the put under them to close, and it takes a while to click each one. Probably would have also been easier if I had copy and pasted them together in a way that the pit and trigger would always have the same number.
Last edited by Lmaoboat on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowzei

Post by lowzei »

Well, sadly i'm out of time already.

The triggers i tried were working as intended, same for the three LUA riddles i built, so, so far so great. You might want to alter the initial states (to lower cases) as they are case sensitive and you might get confused in LUA otherwise.

What i'm still not fond of is the concept of having to change cursor states (for drawing a map, adding elements and connecting them), generally and the way it is implemented. Deleting an item or moving around in the map could be easier imo (btw. can you move items at all?).

Anyway, great editor and best DM like editor out there. And maybe someday there will be more support for spells and so on. Again, great work and thanks for providing an capable editor. Now if i only could do all this on my Mac instead. :)
Akatana

Post by Akatana »

Will there be a standallone version of the Dungeon Editor? So that you dont have to always start Grimrock just to build on your Dungeon
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Is there a file for the standard items or monsters anywhere so we can get an idea of how they work? Also, could one make a throwing item that returns to the user? Either by not consuming ammo or spawning a new one when used?
Last edited by Lmaoboat on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antti

Post by antti »

Lmaoboat wrote:Is there a file for the standard items or monsters anywhere so we can get an idea of how they work?
The object definitions etc. will be included in the asset pack which we are working on releasing (bugs and such take priority though!). 8-)
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
WaterKnight

Post by WaterKnight »

Spawner causes a crash when trying to spawn an invalid entity. There are graphic glitches now and then, which draw black shapes, blotchiness on the running preview screen. How about a coordinates display of the current cursor position?

And because of crashes etc. some automatic backup would not be bad.
Huchickut

Post by Huchickut »

petri wrote:
Huchickut wrote:Good thing is, I know exactly what caused it. Normally when you place the player spawn it just moves it. But when you place one while you have the original one selected (so it shows the details in the Inspector) it crashes.
Thanks for the bug report! I assume you mean the starting_location entity, right?
Yes, that's what I mean.
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

I tried setting the attack speed of a lightning rod to 1 second in cloneObject using coolDownTime, and it crashed the editor. Is this a bug, or did I use the wrong thing?
Here's the item data:

Code: Select all

cloneObject{
	name = "Wand",
	baseObject = "lightning_rod",
	uiName = "wand",
	charges = "1",
	coolDownTime = "3",
	emptyItem = "Wand",
}
And the error:

Code: Select all

[string "AttackPanel.lua"]:0: attempt to compare number with string
stack traceback:
	[string "AttackPanel.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "AttackPanel.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Gui.lua"]: in function 'draw'
	[string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in function 'preview'
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in function 'handleError'
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in function 'preview'
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk

Never mind, found out I wasn't supposed to use quotes around the value of the cooldowntime
Last edited by Lmaoboat on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.