Lovecraft?

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
t0tem

Re: Lovecraft?

Post by t0tem »

Fan here! I'd say my fav is probably The Color Out Of Space or The Case Of Charles Dexter Wards (that were incidentally consecutive). I think his work is so good because it truly is paranoid and desperate. If you want a very good book analyzing his greatness (and madness) I recommend you read Michel Houellebecq's "Against The World, Against Life".
link here
http://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecraft-Aga ... 1932416188
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

And lets not forget Anime based Lovecraft. Only the Japanese can turn Nyarlathotep into a cute girl:

This is on during this anime season, in fact. In case you feel like losing Sanity Points. :lol:
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

Major san-loss!!!
Saice

Post by Saice »

*googles cuthulu anime*
*reads review*
Earth is protected from transdimensional assault because of Japanese doujinshi production. It’s such a rare trade commodity among the galaxy that some Elder Ones are sent to protect humanity. Oh gods…
*Face plams so hard they shatter their forehead*
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Saice wrote:*googles cuthulu anime*
*reads review*
Earth is protected from transdimensional assault because of Japanese doujinshi production. It’s such a rare trade commodity among the galaxy that some Elder Ones are sent to protect humanity. Oh gods…
Hahaha, you read my review. I did warn at the start you would lose sanity points; but frankly, anime has done worse.

Heck, Deus Ex Machina Demonbane added Mecha to the Cthulu mythos. And a walking, talking necronomicon (as a girl called Al-Azif, of course).
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Saice

Post by Saice »

eharper256 wrote:
Saice wrote:*googles cuthulu anime*
*reads review*
Hahaha, you read my review. I did warn at the start you would lose sanity points; but frankly, anime has done worse.

Heck, Deus Ex Machina Demonbane added Mecha to the Cthulu mythos. And a walking, talking necronomicon (as a girl called Al-Azif, of course).
It is not much that I has issus with adaption of the mythos but more how hat adapation fits in to the mythos feel and theme.

Cybernetics, robots, and high tech not an issue as long as the theme and feel holds up over all to the mythos.

But outter gods falling in love.... no totaly not something I agre with.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

B t w did you all see that wonderful movie Cast A Deadly Spell?

It's something as rare as a loving Hollywood noir comedy tribute to the works of Lovecraft. It's even quite funny. Not on Netflix though I just checked. Shame on them!
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

Saice wrote:
It is not much that I has issus with adaption of the mythos but more how hat adapation fits in to the mythos feel and theme.

Cybernetics, robots, and high tech not an issue as long as the theme and feel holds up over all to the mythos.

But outter gods falling in love.... no totaly not something I agre with.
I agree 100%. Stuff like Kassogtha, Bride of Cthulhu, Nctosa & Nctolhu, The Twin Spawn of Cthulhu, step sisters to Cthylla is just ruining the Mythos but some insist on writing such idiocies. Argh.