I will buy a copy when the Linux version comes out.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Sol_HSA

Re: I will buy a copy when the Linux version comes out.

Post by Sol_HSA »

jfunk wrote:In other words, a Linux version is likely to create very few new sales. Editor, iOS, expansion, etc on the other hand are likely to create many new sales.
A Linux port would be so well advertised on Linux news sites that it would definitely generate more sales (also more sales of windows version, so statistics would be hard). How much, and would it be worth it.. Hard questions.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
blackjudas

Post by blackjudas »

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't feel entitled to a Linux version. I was trying to drum up a me too sort of thread to show support for the platform. As a new devel it would be suicide to jump into something without understanding what you'd be getting into. Don't worry about us Linuxer's we really are nicer than most people make us out to be.

Just keep us in mind if the porting itch ever hits you.
blackjudas

Post by blackjudas »

Sol_HSA wrote: A Linux port would be so well advertised on Linux news sites that it would definitely generate more sales (also more sales of windows version, so statistics would be hard). How much, and would it be worth it.. Hard questions.
I think a port to Linux would create quite a bit of excitement for the crowd of old school gamers from that generation which have moved on from the defacto "norm". I know that's the way it's been for me. I still play Might and Magic at times. Dosbox lets me. Wine, not so perfect, but the game can be built against Wine libraries to guarantee perfect compatibility if that's a route one could take.
RabidZombie

Post by RabidZombie »

http://blog.wolfire.com/2008/12/why-you ... and-linux/

I have already preordered a copy, so any promise of extra money from me from a Linux port would be a lie.

I would be eternally grateful however. And this might manifest itself in me suggesting the game to friends (including those that run Linux as a primary OS), raving about it on online communities (including Linux communities), and being more likely to support your future en-devours.
afettouhi

Post by afettouhi »

BigRob154 wrote:Okay... installed Wine 1.5.1 from the dev branch and the HWTest runs fine on my MacBook Pro ( Geforce GT 330M 256 MB VRAM ). In windowed mode @ 1024 x 768 i get around 60 fps on medium settings. SSAO is a bit buggy. When i set it to High i get 20 fps, set it to Medium i get 30 fps. At Low i get 60 fps, setting back to Medium it runs still at 60 fps.

Sound works well too.

BTW a framerate limiter would be nice to save some resources :)
I just tried the hardware test under wine 1.5.1 and I can't get it to run. Did you just have xact installed and a xp profile?
Last edited by afettouhi on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I wonder what sort of sales figures for Linux you would get, how many would it need to be for Almost Human to make their money back for all the work they would have to do?

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
BigRob154

Post by BigRob154 »

afettouhi wrote:I just tried the hardware test under wine 1.5.1 and I can't get it to run. Did you just have xact installed and a xp profile?
As far as i know it was just a vanilla wine installation. What GPU is in your PC? LoG requires Shader 3.0.
afettouhi

Post by afettouhi »

BigRob154 wrote:
afettouhi wrote:I just tried the hardware test under wine 1.5.1 and I can't get it to run. Did you just have xact installed and a xp profile?
As far as i know it was just a vanilla wine installation. What GPU is in your PC? LoG requires Shader 3.0.
Nvidia GT520 Slient.
BigRob154

Post by BigRob154 »

The GT520 supports Shader Model 5.0 so this should work. Did you get any error message?
afettouhi

Post by afettouhi »

BigRob154 wrote:The GT520 supports Shader Model 5.0 so this should work. Did you get any error message?
[xx@xxxxx ~]$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/af/.local/share/wineprefixes/log" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\Legend\ of\ Grimrock\ Hardware\ Test\\grimrock_hwtest.exe
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code 80000003 flags 0 addr 0x7bc75a3c