Any Help For Arachnophobes?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Crashbanito

Re: Any Help For Arachnophobes?

Post by Crashbanito »

When someone finds out how to change the models and whatnot, I think this black blob would be a fitting replacement (and most likely take less time to animate).

Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Kalamino

Post by Kalamino »

Lol.

I would be okay with stick figure quality texture replacement ;)
skynes

Post by skynes »

Curunir wrote:You misunderstand my motives. I don't do this to rile people up, I do it because I'm a little fed up with the ump-teenth topic about it and with the fact that when/if full mod tools come out, spiders will be gone. But I don't think this should in any way be a priority for the devs over patches, map editor, etc etc.

So sorry if it seemed I was trolling, I was just voicing my annoyance.
We're not asking for intense man hours of dev time. Swap out model and noise, problem gone, a soundless animationless blue box would be perfect. This is something we're used to, many of us played Skyrim with odd looking giant bears with no animation and were fine with it, cause we don't care how much it breaks the immersion experience so long as we don't have to look at them.

Why do I buy RPGs? I say RPGs and not just "Games I know have them", cause every single fantasy RPG without exception has the giant spider enemy, it's a staple of the genre. The alternative is not playing any RPG at all and that would suck cause I love RPGs, I just hate those 8 legged black things.
Why would you buy a game that you know full well has spiders in it, then complain about it and request them modded out on release day?
I love the concept of the game. I love the first person dungeon crawler. I want to support the developers and encourage this kind of game, it's voting with my wallet, so more games like this will come out in the future.

Why do I ask for some kind of fix? Because I want to enjoy the game to its fullest, which I can't do right now.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Crashbanito wrote:When someone finds out how to change the models and whatnot, I think this black blob would be a fitting replacement (and most likely take less time to animate).
SpoilerShow
Well there are already green slimes in the game, so a black slime would be a simple colour change.
Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Darklord wrote:
Crashbanito wrote:When someone finds out how to change the models and whatnot, I think this black blob would be a fitting replacement (and most likely take less time to animate).
SpoilerShow
Well there are already green slimes in the game, so a black slime would be a simple colour change.
Daniel.

I feel the eyes and teeth should exist if at all possible. They still need to be scary, just not spider scary.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I'm not arachnophobic, but yeah those sure are scary spiders! For me the way monsters lunge into the screen at you, is awesome! This game really does a good job of scaring you! :D

It would take more effort but I feel a poisonous beetle would be a good swap in.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
DawnOfNights

Post by DawnOfNights »

I am arachnaphobic, yet i didn't even flinch when i saw the first ingame spider in the game, the thing that made me jump the most sofar was at the beginning of the game where you had to put the 2 gems into they eyes... I nearly got a heart attack!
bear in minds, it was 3 in the morning, I was still half asleep!
ChrisColon

Post by ChrisColon »

Curunir wrote:You misunderstand my motives. I don't do this to rile people up, I do it because I'm a little fed up with the ump-teenth topic about it and with the fact that when/if full mod tools come out, spiders will be gone. But I don't think this should in any way be a priority for the devs over patches, map editor, etc etc.

So sorry if it seemed I was trolling, I was just voicing my annoyance.
There are only two threads about arachnophobia that I am aware of, that's certainly not a lot. All the other threads I have seen about spiders were from people who believe they are too strong and too common in the game.

And I agree that it shouldn't be a priority for the devs. I and someone else said we can't continue playing the game but for me that was just a statement of fact. I for one am perfectly fine with just playing the first two levels until someone hacks or mods the game to remove spiders. It would be nice if the devs did this of course since they wouldn't need to hack the game to do it, which takes considerably longer, but they have enough on their hands as it is, I would never "demand" it.
Eric Little

Post by Eric Little »

I closes my eyes during the fight against spider, I hate spiders and my grown up children laugh at me :(

Eric
hapro

Post by hapro »

Darklord wrote:I'm not arachnophobic, but yeah those sure are scary spiders! For me the way monsters lunge into the screen at you, is awesome! This game really does a good job of scaring you! :D

It would take more effort but I feel a poisonous beetle would be a good swap in.

Daniel.
I think the tricky part is that it can be very difficult to hear them until they're in the square immediately behind you (depending on circumstances, of course), so if a hidden door opens up behind you, surprise!