For those that beat the game. Let's get some basic stats

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Saice

Re: For those that beat the game. Let's get some basic stats

Post by Saice »

Darklord wrote:
Saice wrote: Like was 10-15 hours really the avagre they were aiming for. That sort of thing.
Bear in mind this isn't the total play time as it doesn't include time spent dying and reloading. e.g. When you die after 5 minutes then go back to your last save. One player I know had 17 hours on the final clock, but when they checked the steam clock they had actually been playing for 63 hours! :P

Just shows what a difference it makes. :)

Daniel.
Oh I'm not saying the time is bad. I clocked like 13 hours logged and about 20 hours according to steam. It felt just a little short but not from actual time to me. I had this idea there would be a few more levels then there was. Over all I think the game did very well. It was just about right in all areas. The only peeve of mine was mages. I loved the spells system but just did not feel the cost in time and investment to get one to bloom was not really worth it. But that has little to do with the game an more to do with my own play style.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

I racked up 50 hours. I check everything, am cautious, and I didn't play it continuously.
yossarian161

Post by yossarian161 »

1) 11:47 of play time, maybe add another 1 1/2 hours due to reloading and whatnot. Normal difficulty, old school. This is without doing any of the optional level (I couldn't figure out how to get in).
2)
SpoilerShow
I looked for help with "Walkabout" (I was doing the right thing, just not enough times), the Pillared Hallway (also doing the right thing, but I started the scroll's instructions from the wrong place, making me think I wasn't doing it right), and the final iron door (just for a hint)
3) 56 secrets, 4 treasures, 13 notes, 3 skulls, 9/10 doors. I only found 1 of the "endgame" weapons and it was of a type I didn't have a proficiency in :(
4) All at level 13
5) Probably 8.5/10 - I'm already planning my next group. And to try to find the other areas I couldn't find.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

1) 22 Steam hours and 16:51 time in the save.
2) I needed help three or four times, got it mostly on IRC.
3) I found 50 secrets I think, I got the second achievement and soon beat the game.
4) Human Fighter 13, Minotaur Fighter 13, Lizard Rogue 13, Insect Mage 12
5) A 9.5, hadn't had that much fun with an RPG game in ages.
Krotch ScroteGuzzle

Post by Krotch ScroteGuzzle »

- 19 hours in Steam
- 11 hours played in the save game file that I defeated the Cube and escaped

I did get down to about level 4 and start over once because I didn't like my party.
lowzei

Post by lowzei »

Over 27 hours of gameplay on normal, found all the letters and treasure, opened all the riddle doors but only discovered 65 secrets. I think i was fucking great. :O) It's beyond me how others finish the game in less than 20 hours. I think not this experienced gamers easily get 30 hours of gameplay out of it.

I really enjoyed the game and hope for more but i didn't like the end, i also dislike these Steam Punk scenarios. Reload, running around, dying, reload, running around, dying, ... that wasn't fun, that was work, i almost expected some jump&run and timing in between as well. I would have prefered something different than some cube. Oh, and i also liked the music at the end.
Asmodan

Post by Asmodan »

Looks like i found the most items. ;)

I played my first Game till Level 4 or so. Then, when i know how the things worked, i build up a party that fits my style and make this run. :)

I need help 4 or 5 times.

My Chars: Human Fighter 14, Lizzard Fighter 13, Minotaurus Rogue 13, Insect Mage 13

Rating: 9/10 Very Good Game :)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Oh...wow I really suck :lol: You guys did great, well done. Looking at these stats and how much less you relied on help makes me question how I fumbled my way through to the end.

Playthrough 1
SpoilerShow

I went in to the game not having played anything similar before so I relied on what information was in the tutorial and menus to choose my party. I felt the four detailed below at the time offered a good balance to start with. Wasted a lot of skill points first time round not knowing enough about the stat and skill choices.

1)How long did it take you to beat the game? Official game time and approximate real time?

20hrs game time which was closer to 25-30hrs. I unashamedly used the automap, I couldn't play without it. I have a lot of respect for those that can, time, accuracy and presentation prevent me.

2)Did you need help? If so how many times?

I missed a few progress related switches/buttons and things like slashing the curtains or placing of objects (the latter because I wanted an alternative to hauling ass back through two levels for a skull). I didn't look for help with secrets though, I discovered quite a few that I couldn't solve, hopefully next time I'll work them out.

3)How complete was your win? How many secrets did you find?

-See above. Not very, a bit disappointed seeing how others fared yet I'm glad I still have mysteries to unravel in Grimrock. I wouldn't want to find everything, know everything and do everything on my first play. I have lots of replay value from that alone. Obviously I still suck though. :lol:

4)What level were your characters?

1 2
3 4

1. Human Fighter (Swords) Lvl.13
2. Minotaur Fighter (Maces) Lvl.13
3. Lizard Rogue (Daggers) Lvl.13
4. Insectoid Mage (erm..diversified) Lvl.13

5)What do you rate the game out of 10?

Taking into account that the game is the first of its genre that I've played and still evolving with mod support, map editor etc to follow, I rate LoG as 8.5/10 and place it in my top 20 PC games. For a core team of four with a presumably modest budget to produce a game of this quality is quite miraculous. LoG has much more to offer in the future, although I'm more than satisfied with what it has to offer now.
Playthrough 2
SpoilerShow

1 2
3 4

1. Human Fighter (Swords) Lvl. 13
2. Human Fighter (Maces) Lvl. 14
3. Lizard Rogue (Daggers) Lvl. 13
4. Minotaur Rogue (Thrown) Lvl.14

Fared better in terms of finding secrets and notes this time round, I even found some interesting bones. Still suck at finding treasure and interesting potions recipes though.On a whole I'm surprised at how much I did discover this time, I didn't realise until I read my stats at the end. Maybe third time lucky, there is a challenge I still have to pass when entry is a challenge itself. :cry:
lowzei

Post by lowzei »

Looking at how fast some were in here i feel kind of ashamed but hey at least i solved all the riddles on my own and i relished every hour, well, except the end.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I was much slower than most and still found less, so its great that you solved them at your own pace and on your own.