request: use scrolls like weapons

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
rustinpeace91

Re: request: use scrolls like weapons

Post by rustinpeace91 »

Cannot disagree with this any more. I LOVE the spell system, it adds to the challenge of the game and makes it actually interactive.

While i hope there will be modding opportunities for those who want a "streamlined" spellcasting experience, please dont remove it, its one of the best aspects of the game IMO.
RPGAlien

Post by RPGAlien »

Tyroie wrote:While there's nothing wrong with asking for spells to be changed, I think the best immediate solution to this problem is to play the game without a mage in your party - or, if you're already deep in the dungeon with one, deck him out in the super-strong light-armor set + shield, rank up Staff Defense, and put him in the front row. I did it on hard, it does work!

The problem with requests like these is that it really is just impossible to satisfy everyone. Different games go for different things, and in this game, the designers wanted spells to feel cumbersome to use, and have much more room for error (on a personal level, not just for the character). They accomplished that. And people who like that sort of thing haven't had the chance to experience it in a game for a very long time, due to "casual appeal."

There is nothing inherently wrong with casual appeal, other than the fact that our games are so utterly, utterly saturated in it. So, for me at least, this has been an awesome change of pace.

Where this REALLY gets tricky, for game designers to answer is... "Should there be an option for this when players start the game, so that everyone can be satisfied?"

It seems at first like the obvious answer would be, "Yes! Make it an option!" But what makes it tricky is that people may be likely to select the less-annoying sounding option, when in reality, there's a chance that the other option may have been more enjoyable for some reason - some bad experiences in games are actually good things to have. That's a tricky one to explain.

But in any case, yeah - turn your mage into a meatshield and focus on your other party members.
One word for this: Bullshit!

No one picks anything above easy either, because it's 'bothersome'? Is that what you're saying? Damn, I guess I'm just the only one too retarded not to do that then... Of course there should be an option if enough people wants it. I personally don't need it, as I cast the spells in a second or less anyway. But I can see why some would want it.

Now if every1 would get down from their high horses and get back on topic, you would all notice that this thread isn't about swapping the current spell-system out with a new one, but instead to add more functionality and variety to the current one! If any of you are going to continue posting here, I would strongly recommend you to go back and READ the first 1-2 pages, and make sure you also UNDERSTAND the actual message! This thread has degenerated to the point where the actual creator of this thread have retracted his statement and more or less fled the discussion.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Why would this be necessary? Does everyone expect their mages to dish out all the damage while the rest are in the back whacking at each other? Simply put, having to punch in the runes allows for human error, thus countering the fact that they never miss, so having a mage that can instantly cast something automatically takes out human error and thus mages become better then warriors. Why not ask for auto-equipping armor and weapons, or auto-eating food or auto-drinking potion? Its a hassle to have to do all that clicking, just make a super easy mode where everything is done for you.

If you don't get it, everything is the way it is, mechanically for a reason.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Pajamas wrote: Simply put, having to punch in the runes allows for human error, thus countering the fact that they never miss, so having a mage that can instantly cast something automatically takes out human error and thus mages become better then warriors.
That's a great argument except for the fact ranged rogues never miss either and suffer no input penalty. They admittedly have to have ammunition but that's plentiful anyway (and you could argue ammunition vs energy).
Sabatasso

Post by Sabatasso »

wickermoon wrote:People that ask for quick cast seem to forget one thing: Spells - can't - miss!

You ever played other RPGs with quick cast? Then you might've noticed that in those games spells can actually miss, or fizzle, on a random note. Here, in LoG, this does not happen, except if you punch in the wrong runes. Do you guys finally understand, why-oh-why a quick-cast option is a very, very unbalanced idea?
The "mana" pool is the limiting factor, quick cast would barely be noticeable as the main usage spells are fairly simple. But if you like to think a second makes all the difference, be my guest. I do enjoy the as-a-matter-of-factly wrong you are though :)

I like the spell system, though, but the "pressing wrong" error factor is not really an argument. I don't think I've ever done it during combat to be honest. So if anybody wants a quick cast, why don't let them, and stop bitching about pointless details?
Tyroie

Post by Tyroie »

RPGAlien wrote:No one picks anything above easy either, because it's 'bothersome'? Is that what you're saying? Damn, I guess I'm just the only one too retarded not to do that then... Of course there should be an option if enough people wants it. I personally don't need it, as I cast the spells in a second or less anyway. But I can see why some would want it.

Now if every1 would get down from their high horses and get back on topic, you would all notice that this thread isn't about swapping the current spell-system out with a new one, but instead to add more functionality and variety to the current one! If any of you are going to continue posting here, I would strongly recommend you to go back and READ the first 1-2 pages, and make sure you also UNDERSTAND the actual message! This thread has degenerated to the point where the actual creator of this thread have retracted his statement and more or less fled the discussion.
I've written my posts in as comfortable and friendly a tone as possible, and very much do respect the opinion of others & read the thread as carefully and thoughtfully as I feel necessary. In turn, if your next reply is as hostile as your previous, I will not read or reply to it.

Some people do pick easy, then rush through games and feel that they were boring. This is a real thing that happens - not to everybody, but some people. This is a wonderful example to why video game design is so very difficult.

The original poster wanted to circumvent the rune system. If this were put in the game (as I understand it) if I used the rune system instead of scrolls, I would feel like I were limiting myself for no good reason, and so I wouldn't do it. I believe most people would do the same. So in essence, yes, his idea would "swap out the current spell-system with a new one," at least as I understand it.