[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
cougardod

Re: [WIP] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by cougardod »

I've done that (except had to re-export my .dds files, was using wrong export format, but that didn't fix it). Would you happen to have some time to look at my code/files to get me on the right track?
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I think so. pm me?

Problem fixed.
Just a note to everyone else out there:
Do not name your materials with capital letters or spaces.

For example, use: name = "example_material",
instead of: name = "Example Material",
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Neikun wrote:I think so. pm me?

Problem fixed.
Just a note to everyone else out there:
Do not name your materials with capital letters or spaces.

For example, use: name = "example_material",
instead of: name = "Example Material",
What [exactly] is the reason for no caps?

*The reason I ask, is that I have mods with material names that use caps ~and they work. Image
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Just to clarify, DTX5 with RGBA8 should only be used if there is need for transparency in the texture. DTX1 RGB is what 90% of Grimrock textures are exported with.
The file size difference is huge, and if you are making alot of custom assets using DTX5 for everything will make your final dat file about 8 times larger then it needs to be. (1024x1024 texture in DTX5 with alpha is about 5400kb, but DTX1 with no alpha is about 680kb)

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Thanks for the extra info, guys. I've actually being leaving most of my textures uncompressed cause I'm lazy lol.

@Issac, can you confirm that they still work after exporting your dungeon as well?
  • Message me to join in!
cougardod

Post by cougardod »

Mine worked with caps in the model viewer but once in game the textures wouldn't load.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

cougardod wrote:Mine worked with caps in the model viewer but once in game the textures wouldn't load.
Interesting.
Neikun wrote:@Issac, can you confirm that they still work after exporting your dungeon as well?
No. As I haven't exported anything to Dat yet; but I will do so later tonight.

It never occurred to me to try that until I was ready to publish; (I hadn't begun any cinematics yet).
Are there other serious differences between the editor and the actual game engine?
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Isaac wrote:
cougardod wrote:Mine worked with caps in the model viewer but once in game the textures wouldn't load.
Interesting.
Neikun wrote:@Issac, can you confirm that they still work after exporting your dungeon as well?
No. As I haven't exported anything to Dat yet; but I will do so later tonight.

It never occurred to me to try that until I was ready to publish; (I hadn't begun any cinematics yet).
Are there other serious differences between the editor and the actual game engine?
The reason I ask is that in the One Room round robin, we discovered that the game would not recognize the folder "Levers" after exporting. It had to be "levers".
Inside the editor, everything worked normally. It was only after trying to play the exported .DAT that we would encounter a problem.
  • Message me to join in!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Neikun wrote:The reason I ask is that in the One Room round robin, we discovered that the game would not recognize the folder "Levers" after exporting. It had to be "levers".
Inside the editor, everything worked normally. It was only after trying to play the exported .DAT that we would encounter a problem.
IIRC.. Petri said [a good while ago] that the editor collects all of the files [or perhaps just the referenced files?] that are in the mod_asset folder, and puts them in a DAT. I wonder if it does not preserve letter case in the file names, and breaks the references?
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I expect the problem comes from the fact that Windows is case in-sensitive with the naming of it's files. If a piece of software asks the OS for myfile.txt or MyFile.txt on a FAT32/NTFS partition then it will always return the file with that name, even if it's MYFILE.TXT. However, once the files are wrapped up in a DAT file, there is no 'directory listing' and the files are stored in a case-sensitive fashion. Ie. Asking for myfile.txt will not return MyFile.txt as there is a hashing process which takes the input file name and tries to find the file. Perhaps when Grimrock makes a .DAT file it automatically converts all of the file names to lower case?

In other news - been beavering away this evening on some more features to release in an hour or two :).
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.