Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
PSY

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by PSY »

I think he's referring to Petri's quote:
The full game is running in the preview window so you can, for example, test puzzles right away.
PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Isaac: it's in the Friday update blog. Goto http://www.grimrock.net/blog/.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Wholley wrote:Isaac: it's in the Friday update blog. Goto http://www.grimrock.net/blog/.
Thanks for the link.
That looks really good. 8-)
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Looks really promising.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

DragonDai wrote:The preview image has me all kinds of excited. I don't care how "complicated" it is for a complete programing/lau newb like me to use. I WILL LEARN (just so I can use this and make awesome stuffs)!!!!
The scripting should be pretty simple for some of us, so you'll have plenty of examples to draw from. And if something gives you trouble there'll be plenty of people who can help out. I wouldn't worry at all about being a "newb." You won't be for long.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Besides all the compliments (yes indeed, the editor looks very promising and I love to have a live preview integrated), I offer some criticism also:
  • I wonder why the editor uses its own GUI theme; maybe even own GUI components (the "feel" in "look & feel"). While this looks very nice and fits into the look of LoG itself, it also means some overhead in development and often that the GUI is not that sophisticated and comes with some restrictions as compared to a OS-native GUI (of course I could be wrong because the GUI components may not be self-made but just have another look (not another feel) / It may also be the case that they ensure the editor runs on several different OS).
  • I don't know how large a dungeon script can become, but I think for some advanced / more complex dungeons the scripting window may lack some features like function-overview, syntax highlight etc. - again, I may be wrong, there is only one screenshot yet :)
Please don't get me wrong, I love the game and I really looking forward to try out the dungeon editor :)

I wonder how Almost Human will handle the dungeon difficulty and character levels - when I build a new dungeon, do I always have to start from the premise that the characters are at level 1, or may the player import their characters? I could imagine that this is a difficult "problem" so solve to make dungeons that are playable right away with new characters but contain some advanced "endgame" stuff also (without building so many levels like the base game offers ;-) ).
Thels

Post by Thels »

To save some people the effort:

I wonder what the red blobs mean. Monsters? The arrow is the preview location, and the yellow square is the current selection.
Beren

Post by Beren »

Hi!

Very nice Game And very nice Editor! :-)

One thing i am interested in: Which API library do you use for the Editor?
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I'm guessing the red blobs are monsters, and the pointy end their default facing.
Leto

Post by Leto »

I wonder how far we can go with the editor, will it be possible to edit/insert new resources like textures, sounds or even create new monsters (I mean just the resource management, of course we can't create entirely new monster with the editor)?