Modding original game

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
CrEaToXx

Re: Modding original game

Post by CrEaToXx »

AndakRainor wrote:I think you and minmay are not talking about the same thing. What you can do with Legend of Grimrock 2 is using the default campaign, Isle of Nex, as the base for your mod. It is exactly what I did with the mod "Magic of Grimrock".
You mean that?. Nice... :)

But how would I go about integrating something for the base game? This surely would be more then enough for me.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

You would have to mod it as you would do with any other mod. The only difference is that you don't start with empty maps.
CrEaToXx

Post by CrEaToXx »

AndakRainor wrote:You would have to mod it as you would do with any other mod. The only difference is that you don't start with empty maps.
Like that?

Code: Select all

import "assets/scripts/standard_assets.lua"
import "assets/scripts/nex_assets.lua"
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Yes those 2 are needed. To start, see the beginning of this thread, it tells how to set the dungeon path to get the maps in the editor.
CrEaToXx

Post by CrEaToXx »

AndakRainor wrote:Yes those 2 are needed. To start, see the beginning of this thread, it tells how to set the dungeon path to get the maps in the editor.
I've already done that. But I can't save the dungeon then. I feel like I'm missing something relevant.

Can't you just "hook" into the base game somehow? (I guess that's what you've done?)

On a side note. I really do wonder why no one else before tried to add new races for the base game, and uploaded to the Nexus... :?:
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

What do you mean you can't save the dungeon? Once you save it, you just have to switch back your dungeon path to the newly created dungeon.lua file. No one did new races for Isle of Nex because they were busy doing other things I guess... If you are going to mod Isle of Nex, I would suggest adding some spells to it and some systems for high level imported characters :D
CrEaToXx

Post by CrEaToXx »

AndakRainor wrote:What do you mean you can't save the dungeon? Once you save it, you just have to switch back your dungeon path to the newly created dungeon.lua file. No one did new races for Isle of Nex because they were busy doing other things I guess... If you are going to mod Isle of Nex, I would suggest adding some spells to it and some systems for high level imported characters :D
I'm planing a lot friend. Really a lot. But I want to learn the quirks of it for the base game first, so I can release some minor additions. A new race pack was the first idea, cause I already missed higher racial diversity in LoG1... :)

Thanks for your magnificent input. I think I get it done from here. If not, I'm going to call back. *Thumbs Up*
CrEaToXx

Post by CrEaToXx »

So, ok. I'm sorry again for the double post. But I think this needs better clarification if anyone moves over here again to figure how to modifie the base game. Here's exactly what I've done:

1. Build your custom dungeon in editor, then close the editor
2. With any Notepad tool (I recommend Notepad++), open the <your_mod_name>.dungeon_editor in your...MyDungeon/mod_assets/scripts...folder
3. Edit the line...

dungeonFolder "mod_assets/scripts"
...to...

dungeonFolder "assets/dungeons/grimrock2"
4. Now try to save your dungeon, which it doesn't due to failure. But notice the file path it misses
5. Now move to your dungeons source folder (usually somewhere in Documents/AlmostHuman) and recreate the exact file path you previously noticed inside your...mod_assets...folder
6. Then rename your...mod_assets...folder to...assets...trying to save again which should work now
7. Then, in the file path you recreated, you will find the base game's...dungeon.lua...use it to replace the dungeon.lua of your mod in your mods script folder
8. We're not done here. Now after saving works, you'll need to redo all the renaming you've done before(including all folders and files), and also add those two lines to your mods init.lua...

-- import standard assets
import "assets/scripts/standard_assets.lua"

-- import Isle of Nex assets
import "assets/scripts/nex_assets.lua"
9. Voila! The complete original base game is now open to be modified by you... :D

Thanks again to AndakRainor and minmay. I won't forget your deeds.
Last edited by CrEaToXx on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billb52

Post by billb52 »

CrEaToXx I cannot find a line in the dungeon.lua file dungeonFolder "mod_assets/scripts" , I have looked in many dungeon.lua files and non found?
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

This line must be edited in <your_mod_name>.dungeon_editor at the root of your project:

dungeonName "Legend of Grimrock 2"
author "Almost Human"
description ""
dungeonFolder "assets/dungeons/grimrock2"