[WIP] TOMBS OF WINTERFELL (Castle Winterfell)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Silent_Shadow_117

Re: [WIP] TOMBS OF WINTERFELL (How to: House)

Post by Silent_Shadow_117 »

Thanks for the info on how to make those, I doubt I would be able to do them... I just wanted to know so I could make an out door entrance to a castle, but the method I am using which is the source of Yuleand, it just looks weird at certain points... So I just try my best to make the castle look, somewhat... Realistic... My problem is the skybox he/she provided only covers a 5x5 area, so it looks weird, and without the skybox it's even weirder... I'd prefer it to be daytime but I might try night time... Oh well.. Do you by any chance know how I (someone who has no experience with modding/modeling/coding and wanted to do this just because I enjoy making random shtuff) could make a skybox with different images and make it larger than a 5x5 (or 4x4 maybe) area?
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Silent_Shadow_117 wrote: My problem is the skybox he/she provided only covers a 5x5 area, so it looks weird, and without the skybox it's even weirder... I'd prefer it to be daytime but I might try night time... Oh well.. Do you by any chance know how I (someone who has no experience with modding/modeling/coding and wanted to do this just because I enjoy making random shtuff) could make a skybox with different images and make it larger than a 5x5 (or 4x4 maybe) area?
Hi Silent, don't want to steal Leki's thread (great work btw Leki) but I will give you a quick answer here regarding Yulelands skybox.
First I'm a he :D , second there is a hardcoded rendering limit in LoG, so making the skybox larger will not be a solution to anything. The real solution to skyboxes would be to have it follow the party around (see pferguson's work) but that also has its problems, third the "fadeout" effect in LoG is hardcoded to black, so the tiles will allways start to fadeout to black and that makes daytime zones allways look a bit wierd so its always more easy to have everything take place during the night.

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Leki

Post by Leki »

Skuggasveinn wrote:
Silent_Shadow_117 wrote: My problem is the skybox he/she provided only covers a 5x5 area, so it looks weird, and without the skybox it's even weirder... I'd prefer it to be daytime but I might try night time... Oh well.. Do you by any chance know how I (someone who has no experience with modding/modeling/coding and wanted to do this just because I enjoy making random shtuff) could make a skybox with different images and make it larger than a 5x5 (or 4x4 maybe) area?
Hi Silent, don't want to steal Leki's thread (great work btw Leki) but I will give you a quick answer here regarding Yulelands skybox.
First I'm a he :D , second there is a hardcoded rendering limit in LoG, so making the skybox larger will not be a solution to anything. The real solution to skyboxes would be to have it follow the party around (see pferguson's work) but that also has its problems, third the "fadeout" effect in LoG is hardcoded to black, so the tiles will allways start to fadeout to black and that makes daytime zones allways look a bit wierd so its always more easy to have everything take place during the night.

Skuggasveinn.
Putting light in the propper places will prevent fading, Skugg... But this is threat about Tombs of Winterfell.
Count general skybox theme here as closed. For skybox issue, please don't past answers or sorries etc here and just follow this LINK. :arrow:

Thank you.
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
Silent_Shadow_117

Post by Silent_Shadow_117 »

Sorry Leki, I didn't mean to turn this thread into a different discussion...
Leki

Post by Leki »

Finally back at work.
I was on holidays and it was great, but it also means that I did only a little progress on ToW. But still there is something new. In past few days I solved problem, how to create castle Winterfell in visual that is acceptable for me. Here is one picture from this process. I will release more in next hours and after that I would ask you for a little help. It works good on my computer, but I would like to test my solution on another PCs. If you are interested to test this scene, I can release this "level" and you can do it. It will be very helpfull for me. Let me know here, if you are interested, please. Test scene will be ready tomorow evening or sunday in the morning I guess.

Castle Winterfell (WIP):
SpoilerShow
Castle Winterfell (WIP) - Adapting model to the 3x3x3 grid:
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Leki on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dawn of Lore
python79

Post by python79 »

How resourceful can you be ?
Well, i could test that part of your project see if it's laggy or anything. Count me in !
Neikun

Re: [WIP] TOMBS OF WINTERFELL (Castle Winterfell)

Post by Neikun »

Wow that looks really good.
So is the level essentially just set on one huge model?
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Leki

Post by Leki »

Castle of Winterfell (WIP) - How is model adapted to the reference grid 3x3 and actual setup of the model (enterance part):
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Dawn of Lore
Leki

Post by Leki »

Castle of Winterfell (WIP) - Main gate (1st test ingame, WIP textures, only basic light etc). Feedback is welcome.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Dawn of Lore
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

What a thrilling way to go about it.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!