Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
cryocore

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by cryocore »

Kthanid wrote:EOB is hands down one of my favorite games of all time. I also really enjoyed the random dungeons in Dungeon Hack. There were plenty of other similar games I never got around to (most notably LoL) Thanks for the mention of ScummVM, I hadn't heard of it and am kind of stoked to dig up some old games and play them now.

Keep mentioning other titles to try in this thread, I'm definitely bookmarking it for future reference.

For my own reference in case I lose track of the other threads, other titles mentioned I want to get my hands on and try include: Frayed Knights and Captive.
The ones I loved (with 1st person grid/tile based movement)

Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2
Lands of Lore 1
Stonekeep
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Hack
Pool of Radiance Gold Box Series
Champions of Krynn Gold Box Series
Wizardry 6 and 7
Might and Magic II and V
Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva
Betrayal at Krondor
Last edited by cryocore on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cryocore

Post by cryocore »

DJK wrote:Yep, Eye :) No deus ex in your colelction ? pretty big landmark in action-rpg :)
Deus Ex is there. Second picture. open it in a new tab. The forums here cut the end off unless you zoom out.
mochuck

Post by mochuck »

don't know if you can label it a dungeon crawler or not.. but by far.. Might and Magic 4 and 5.. put them

together and you have worlds of xeen.
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

mochuck wrote:don't know if you can label it a dungeon crawler or not.. but by far.. Might and Magic 4 and 5.. put them

together and you have worlds of xeen.
Just finished a play through of Clouds of Xeen a couple weeks ago. Haven't dived into Dark Side yet.
Point08

Post by Point08 »

jfunk wrote: Haven't dived into Dark Side yet.
Are you sure you mean you haven't "Diven" into it yet. :lol:
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Point08 wrote:
jfunk wrote: Haven't dived into Dark Side yet.
Are you sure you mean you haven't "Diven" into it yet. :lol:
lol. fail.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

I think Wizardry 1 is my all-time favorite dungeon crawler for 1) the sake of nostalgia, 2) how integral the manual was in figuring out secrets in the game, 3) the ability to change and unlock advanced/prestige classes, and 4) it is the grandfather and inspiration of all dungeon crawls. Similar to LoG, the atmosphere of the game was enhanced by the manual and together they seduced you into imagining the undescribed aspects of the world. A close second is Might & Magic 4 and 5 combined into World of Xeen.
tdunaj

Post by tdunaj »

Surprised no one mentioned Black Crypt, Amiga game IMO superior to EOB.
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant.
Mortimer

Post by Mortimer »

I have played many of these types, EoB, dungeon master, wizardry, xeen, realms of arkania i even saw mentioned in the thread but I would not call it quite a grid based dungeon crawl.

All were nice but my favorite by far was captive. even at a young age I must have been 10 or 11 when I got it on my old atari st it seemed to have in depth gameplay with shops and all the skills, and different robotic parts and weapon styles. But the thing that truly set it apart was the story, I loved the idea that some guy stumbled on a computer in a box (this was quite a bit before I heard of something like a laptop) and was controlling the bots in about the same manner as I was...it made me feel more involved like the robots were going to show up at my house at any second. :)