Overall gameplay speed (elderly gamer)

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Dandy

Re: Overall gameplay speed (elderly gamer)

Post by Dandy »

I have a better one.

Log needs a extra systems requirement.

Must have the reactions of a Australian turbo flash-back water snake on speed, sporting go-fast-stripes. :D
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
Pipsissiwa

Post by Pipsissiwa »

Horrorscope wrote:Yes you sound like a 14 year old, you are asking them to make a change on something "YOU can do now". Stubborn to the point you will wait on something you don't even know will be coming. Wow. Your opinion or not, that is my opinion of your opinion. I just find it odd you refuse to do it, call it a cheat doing so, but if they made it an option it's not a cheat. It's a single player game, who cares, make it how you want or need it.
You already gave your opinion in your previous post - I wonder why you felt the need to say exactly the same, and insult me, yet again without adding anything new. And yes, 'wow' - someone feels very differently to you about games and is comfortable with that - shocking isn't it. I interrupted playing 2 other games to play Grimrock - I personally have no problem leaving it for a little while and playing them before coming back to see if anything has changed. What on earth is wrong with that and why would you care what I do? /baffled

Please go pester someone else - there must be other older gamers with difficulties out there posting that you can pick on. I won't reply again, you're not worth it. It doesn't mean you've won some stupid flame war (althougfh I have no doubt you'll post something to that effect and how stupid and whiny I am) - I'm not going to lower myself to your level any further. I do not need to defend myself, especially since my issue may be a bug which isn't something I should have to fix myself. There are plenty of other people here who feel exactly as I do, or who actually at least respect my point of view and discuss civilly.

Thankyou.
/waves goodbye
Last edited by Pipsissiwa on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd let you live but I can't, I'm a willing servant of Evil"

Pipsissiwa
Geek Girl/Gamer Girl
RMariano

Post by RMariano »

krayzkrok wrote:This is actually a far more serious issue than some of the flippant responses here imply. Face it, we're all getting older, and there will be an increasing number of older people who have been gamers for their entire lives in the very near future. Like it or not, your reactions will slow down, your coordination will deteriorate, and your eyesight will get worse. Should you suck it up and face the fact that games are for younger folks? No, I don't think so. All it takes is for devs to put a little bit of effort into accommodating elderly gamers. The option to slow things down a little. The option to increase the font size of text. Simple things, but things that can make a difference, especially for games like this which are cherished by those of us who remember the classics from the 80s.

This is a personal issue for me as well, because my father is disabled. He's been playing computer games for as long as I have, he has about 8 level 80 characters in WoW, he's played just about every RPG you can think of, and he's nearly 67 years old. But he's diabetic. His eyesight is going, his fingers aren't as precise as they once were, and he can't react as quickly as he'd like, but he absolutely loves playing games. He wishes more devs could spend a little time on making his gaming life a bit easier.

Of course I'm not blaming Almost Human for making a tough game that requires manual dexterity, I'm saying it's an issue that I hope more devs consider as the gaming population gets older. As for Grimrock, I'd love to see a little "Old Fart" checkbox that slowed the game timing down a bit more, made the text a bit bigger, and maybe made the darkness a little less dark. After all, old farts may be old but they're often a lot richer than you young whippersnappers! Support them, and they'll support you back.

Agree 100% No truer words were ever spoken.
Regards,

RMariano
Horrorscope

Post by Horrorscope »

Pipsissiwa wrote:You already gave your opinion in your previous post - I wonder why you felt the need to say exactly the same, and insult me, yet again without adding anything new.
Because you do not see you insult me when you are given the answer that fixes your needs, but you don't want to do it yourself and want others to. Yes that does annoy me. I can do this all day...

Beyond you... If anyone out there feels the game moves to fast for you, let us know, we can direct you on how to slow the game down so you can enjoy it now.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

RMariano wrote:
krayzkrok wrote:This is actually a far more serious issue than some of the flippant responses here imply. Face it, we're all getting older, and there will be an increasing number of older people who have been gamers for their entire lives in the very near future. Like it or not, your reactions will slow down, your coordination will deteriorate, and your eyesight will get worse. Should you suck it up and face the fact that games are for younger folks? No, I don't think so. All it takes is for devs to put a little bit of effort into accommodating elderly gamers. The option to slow things down a little. The option to increase the font size of text. Simple things, but things that can make a difference, especially for games like this which are cherished by those of us who remember the classics from the 80s.

This is a personal issue for me as well, because my father is disabled. He's been playing computer games for as long as I have, he has about 8 level 80 characters in WoW, he's played just about every RPG you can think of, and he's nearly 67 years old. But he's diabetic. His eyesight is going, his fingers aren't as precise as they once were, and he can't react as quickly as he'd like, but he absolutely loves playing games. He wishes more devs could spend a little time on making his gaming life a bit easier.

Of course I'm not blaming Almost Human for making a tough game that requires manual dexterity, I'm saying it's an issue that I hope more devs consider as the gaming population gets older. As for Grimrock, I'd love to see a little "Old Fart" checkbox that slowed the game timing down a bit more, made the text a bit bigger, and maybe made the darkness a little less dark. After all, old farts may be old but they're often a lot richer than you young whippersnappers! Support them, and they'll support you back.

Agree 100% No truer words were ever spoken.
+1 o7
CrawlerJe

Post by CrawlerJe »

Dandy wrote:Log needs a extra systems requirement.

Must have lightening fast reactions. :D

hahaha... yea.. definatly add that to the box!!

It really would be nice though to get a speed command setting in game options. Not everyone is comfortable with modding and systems.
Pipsissiwa

Post by Pipsissiwa »

CrawlerJe wrote:
It really would be nice though to get a speed command setting in game options. Not everyone is comfortable with modding and systems.
+1

There is an assumption that all PC gamers are confident with their machines beyond installing a game. Many are not. My mum likes playing video games but she is terrified of computers lol. And again, I doubt the devs intended/expected that a lot of people would to have to to mod their game just to play it.

Pipsissiwa
Geek Girl/Gamer Girl
Imarion

Post by Imarion »

I was thinking about a "Custom" difficulty setting beside "Easy", "Normal" and "Hard" we currently have.

This custome settings would allow by the mean of side bars to modify different aspects of the gameplay by a certain percentage (0 to 200% for example).

Examples:
For combat: the percentage to improve or impair the monsters like x% of health, damages, resistances.
For mages: 2 sidebars, one for mana consumption, one for spell power.
For fighters: more damage output.
For all characters: faster cooldown, less damage taken.
For torches: speed of consumption. Same foor food.
For timed puzzles: this would modify the timer. 50% = twice slower, and for the younger with lightning fast reflexes try it out at 150%.
Maybe the community and the dev can come up with other ideas but that would be great to be able to tune the game without resorting to commands or external mods. And this way you can fine tune each aspect of the game as you see fit.
Want easy fight, and faster puzzle ? Got it.
Want harder fights, but do not want to bother with food to be able to rest any time ? Got it.
etc ...

Imarion
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

You know, there are times when I am totally absorbed in LOG. I have gone back in time, to my days of great gaming, and find my self thinking what a fantastic game it is.
And then along comes a stupid bloody twitch test, and the whole thing shatters into a million fragments. :|
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
Pipsissiwa

Post by Pipsissiwa »

Dandy wrote:You know, there are times when I am totally absorbed in LOG. I have gone back in time, to my days of great gaming, and find my self thinking what a fantastic game it is.
And then along comes a stupid bloody twitch test, and the whole thing shatters into a million fragments. :|
This, and again this. +1

Pipsissiwa
Geek Girl/Gamer Girl