DLC

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Halk

Re: DLC

Post by Halk »

Munky, I think it's beyond question now that the user made content and modding stuff will be free of charge, that was part of the deal in buying the game.

I think out of the Skyrim and ME3 system nobody wants the ME3 system :)
Minax

Post by Minax »

I like DLC, as long as it is reasonably priced for the amount of content it offers. I really don't undestand people who outright hate DLC no matter if it's good value or not.
While free stuff is always nice, I think everybody understands that developers need to actually earn money or else they won't stay in business for very long (unless they have a dungeon full of gold somewhere).
"Oh what secrets we could tell if you'd listen and be still
Rid the stink and the noise from our skirts
But you haven't got the clue and perhaps you never will
Mute we stand on the cold plains of Wiltshire "
Zola

Post by Zola »

On Topic: If the DLC's or expansion packs are expanding the game and/or Editor with new tile sets, monster and might classes/abilities/Spells. I would be more then happy, since I can imagine that most of the Dungeons will be user generated content and I will gladly build some Dungeons myself with the Editor once it is out.

Off Topic: Big thanks to Professor Paul1290 for explaining their marketing system, for me as outsider it really looked different from what it actually was so my impression got blurred and wrong of it.
germanny

Post by germanny »

I think devs shouldnt release some sort of 'fast built new dungeon' or such crap.
This game is a diamond! -Opposite others from the gamimg 'industry'.

No, go on with the map editor!
Hopefully with function to import meshes and animations for new monsters^^

Beside, you may work on a sequel with some patience - to come up with a new dungeon and engine updates worth it. Take your time, if you earned enough money with LoG ;)
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker
Halk

Post by Halk »

I don't think there's an appetite for a quick sequel. Because they're going to release the modding tools there will not be a dearth of stuff to do. There will be some user made simple dungeons, some interesting mods... essentially tons of stuff to play with which will give the devs plenty of time to do a proper expansion and make a nice stack of money off the back of it. Everybody wins :)
regomar

Post by regomar »

germanny wrote:I think devs shouldnt release some sort of 'fast built new dungeon' or such crap.

Beside, you may work on a sequel with some patience - to come up with a new dungeon and engine updates worth it. Take your time, if you earned enough money with LoG ;)
I agree with having the ability to import meshes and animations for new monsters. That would make this game remembered for all freaking time! Adding modding tools as opposed to just a level editor would make Grimrock the must have RPG of the year. I know many people that would buy it JUST to play around with it. The modding community is a great market to tap and increases the longevity of the game for years.
osashta

Post by osashta »

DLC no...I want a solid expansion pack that I feel good throwing another 15 bucks at. You gave me a world map with my pre-order. lets see it filled out someday yeah? :)
Halk

Post by Halk »

regomar wrote:
germanny wrote:I think devs shouldnt release some sort of 'fast built new dungeon' or such crap.

I agree with having the ability to import meshes and animations for new monsters. That would make this game remembered for all freaking time! Adding modding tools as opposed to just a level editor would make Grimrock the must have RPG of the year. I know many people that would buy it JUST to play around with it. The modding community is a great market to tap and increases the longevity of the game for years.
I think you're right about the longevity. If you look at the price of games as they appear on Steam.. if they stink and there's no modding going on they lose value fast and you can get them for a budget price. On the other hand Oblivion held it's value extremely well because there was a massive amount of modding going on. Skyrim will do the same... and I suspect Legend of Grimrock will still be selling for $15 in a couple of years time, although they'll likely have bundled the first expansion along with it for that price.

Mojang could stop Minecraft development and it'd still be a top seller in 5 years time thanks to the way they've opened it up for modding.
Red Wyrm

Post by Red Wyrm »

I would love to see an honest expansion, one with another dozen or so levels. Heck, several dozen would be awesome, too. I don't think a sequel is warranted just yet, as a combination of patches that add items, textures, and creatures along with a map editor could make for months of fun. According to the developer blog, the development cost has been covered many times over, so where a I would love a sequel with five times the puzzles, creatures, items, spells, and dungeon levels, along with another simple yet engaging story, I say milk this one for a while. I'm not sure how the Almost Human built their development kit for the game, but if they made it as easy as possible for themselves to create the base content, it shouldn't take long to put out more dungeon levels.

In any case, I think DLC is a poor choice of words, but if dungeon content was released at a rate of say, a dollar a dungeon level, I don't think it would deter people from purchasing it. Another adventure like the first (in quantity and quality of content) for about ten bucks? I'd do it. How about everyone else?
Hongisto

Post by Hongisto »

As others have said in this thread, I don't like DLC's which are only made as cashcows, giving only content you could easily live without. But if we're talking about a proper oldschool expansion with a completely new dungeon with new monsters, loot, maybe couple of new races and classes, I'd gladly pay for it.
"Optimist drowns in a half-full tub."