EDITOR Feature Requests (not bugs!)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: EDITOR Feature Requests (not bugs!)

Post by Isaac »

SpiderFighter wrote:I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but I would love to see a mouse scroll-wheel zoom feature implemented. I'm getting older, and sometimes those pressure plates with 40 itty-bitty arrows radiating from them can be hard to see. :)
I was pondering this yesterday; wishing the map could zoom. I have a loose hunch that this would be a problem to make ~I don't know this, but it's my guess. What might be cool if not a zoom (IMO preferably not via the mouse wheel), is some sort of magnifier window via a tool button. Not the best substitute, but perhaps better than nothing.
SpoilerShow
Komag

Post by Komag »

man I love your preview concepts! I think it might work better to have it work via a held key, such as A or Q, when you hold the Q key there is a zoom window right around the mouse and when you let go it disappears
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Batty

Post by Batty »

I have two left mouse thumb buttons, if I click the upper one I get a nice big zoom window (windows feature magnify). Works in editor game also. Go to control panel -> mouse.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Komag wrote:man I love your preview concepts! I think it might work better to have it work via a held key, such as A or Q, when you hold the Q key there is a zoom window right around the mouse and when you let go it disappears

A or Q to magnify an area around the cursor could work. My assumption was that [whatever magnifier they make], that it probably wouldn't (couldn't?) be interactive ~meaning clickable to select or add objects. I was thinking the movable/place-able frame would allow the (non-clickable) preview to stay put while the user moves the the mouse around on the [small] regular map.
Batty wrote:I have two left mouse thumb buttons, if I click the upper one I get a nice big zoom window (windows feature magnify). Works in editor game also. Go to control panel -> mouse.
Wonders never cease. 8-)

I have three mice; one has several buttons, but I usually just use the three button mouse.

That works, but man... using that while moving the mouse will take some getting used to; the cursor stays put and the background moves. :lol:

Does this work on Macs?

** If anyone wants a good prank to try... Go into an APPLE store, and find a saleperson, and ask them to show you how to increase the default font size to make the desktop easier for your parents to read. (It's trivial on Windows, but AFAIK it can't be done on OSX; but they usually don't seem to know this. :twisted: ) Macs just have the magnifier window; if your using Pro-Tools, your out of luck.
Batty

Post by Batty »

Isaac wrote:
That works, but man... using that while moving the mouse will take some getting used to; the cursor stays put and the background moves. :lol:
Press windows key and +, you will get a different magnifier window. You can adjust size of window, zoom, and drag it around. Plus a nifty magnifying glass icon. Mouse over the magnifying glass to make adjustments.
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

I have two requests and I think without these creating a wide variety of custom assets is impossible.

1. An option to place looping sounds like other objects. Right now the only way to use a looping sound is playSoundAt, which is buggy and doesn't work properly (sounds play on any level, not just the one you placed them on, sounds get removed on reload, or sounds don't play at all if they're not on the same level as the player when triggered). Having a simple object with an entity ID you could place would help a lot, as right now looping sounds are impossible to use. Only script functions needed would be activate/deactivate and destroy I think.

2. The ability to add animations to objects. Right now we're stuck with using buttons or levers (or monsters...) for custom animated objects, which is a pain and extremely restrictive. If you want to animate anything that is not a boring standard wall button or lever you're either screwed or you have to use weird workarounds. If we could simply add animations to objects, set whether they're looping or not and call them by script it would be ideal. Even a special asset type would be perfectly fine if it's too much work to add animation support to all classes (like class = "Animated Object",), you could script anything else by using fake assets (blockages, doors etc).

Basically what I would like to see is a way to create a new asset that looks and sounds like the healing crystal for example (minus the shader, even though that would be a bonus for sure). Right now this is impossible, even though both the animation and the sound effect are very simple.
Komag

Post by Komag »

hear hear! Those two things would indeed go a long way to allowing a much wider variety of custom content to be created and included in our mods!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

The ability to add animations to objects. Right now we're stuck with using buttons or levers (or monsters...) for custom animated objects, which is a pain and extremely restrictive. If you want to animate anything that is not a boring standard wall button or lever you're either screwed or you have to use weird workarounds. If we could simply add animations to objects, set whether they're looping or not and call them by script it would be ideal. Even a special asset type would be perfectly fine if it's too much work to add animation support to all classes (like class = "Animated Object",), you could script anything else by using fake assets (blockages, doors etc).
I totally +1 this. The work on my treasure chests was 10% creating them using a pit door to have animations, 90% stacking kludges over kludges to mask the side effects having a pit introduces.
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Thanks, guys, for the info on the Windoze magnification functions! Will definitely give that a peek.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Definitely a big support to what Phitt said.
One other thing I would like added is the blocking functionality of a door (blocks one face of a square) to be definable to decorations as well.
something like blocksFacing = true, or something
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!