Very hot

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
badhabit

Re: Very hot

Post by badhabit »

carlo222 wrote:ok thanks..
can i.. fps invisble when i playing ,now is visible? shortcut?
when all ok, i like fps invisible? not to see when playing
I'm not aware of a short-cut version to switch debugInfo on and off, sorry. But you could do this with external software like FRAPS or the driver supported OSD infos.
carlo222

Post by carlo222 »

I wanted to know how I disable the fps do not see them in the game on the left bottom. (I think all ok now!)
disable-enable ?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

carlo222 wrote:I wanted to know how I disable the fps do not see them in the game on the left bottom. (I think all ok now!)
disable-enable ?
Quit the game.
Open "grimrock.cfg" with notepad
Change the line "debugInfo = true" back to original "debugInfo = false"
Save and quit notepad.

How are FPS in Twigroot Forest, Forgotten River or Sleet Island maps now?
carlo222

Post by carlo222 »

now in Twigroot Forest
fps is ....29-34 fps..in dungeon was 60 fps
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

carlo222 wrote:now in Twigroot Forest
fps is ....29-34 fps..in dungeon was 60 fps
Monitor the temperature carefully, now your system is again fully loaded as it not achieves the aimed 60fps and might overheat again. If that happens consider: 1.) reducing GFX quality options 2.) reducing resolution 3.) reducing frame-rate e.g. 30fps
carlo222

Post by carlo222 »

fogotten river between 29-35 fps..monitor temperature is ok.
only resultion..1600x900--1280x720 i have 45fps ,picture not so good

1.) reducing GFX quality options ??
3.) reducing frame-rate e.g. 30fps??
who i can this?
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

carlo222 wrote:fogotten river between 29-35 fps..monitor temperature is ok.
only resultion..1600x900--1280x720 i have 45fps ,picture not so good

1.) reducing GFX quality options ??
3.) reducing frame-rate e.g. 30fps??
who i can this?
1.) I guess you set already everything in the options menu to "low" (or in grimrock.cfg, e.g. renderingQuality = 2 etc)
2.) you can set arbitrary resolutions via the grimrock.cfg for the windowed mode (displayMode = 2) e.g. resolution = "800 x 600"
3.) framerate limiter in the grimrock.cfg e.g. maxFrameRate = 30
ITwiener

Post by ITwiener »

What is it with this particular genre of games and the performance issues that come with it?

I with mean MMX:L, people had the exact same issues. Even though MMX:L was made with Unity (an arguably bad optimized engine), which has performance problems on many systems.

But with Grimrock, people have the same issue again... The graphics = performance ratio, is way off. There must be a plausable explanation. Is it because it's a 32bit application? Has the Proprietary Engine the same issues as Unity?

I mean, I play a heavily modded(80+) Skyrim, or FC3 on ultra, without the fans going even half as fast as with Grimrock or MMX:L.

And in the forums you have the usual debates between people giving the run of the mill "it's you pc" answer, and those slowly suspecting that there must be something going on, if a game with a substandard visual output and requirements like this, keeps stressing the gpu more than games that have way higher requirements, or use way more ressources while rendering way more objects.

There must be a bottomline somewhere, that ties the mechanics of this genre, or the engines together and manages to give a reasonable explanation for this. I refuse to believe that it's simple bad optimization.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

ITwiener wrote:What is it with this particular genre of games and the performance issues that come with it?

I with mean MMX:L, people had the exact same issues. Even though MMX:L was made with Unity (an arguably bad optimized engine), which has performance problems on many systems.

But with Grimrock, people have the same issue again... The graphics = performance ratio, is way off. There must be a plausable explanation. Is it because it's a 32bit application? Has the Proprietary Engine the same issues as Unity?

I mean, I play a heavily modded(80+) Skyrim, or FC3 on ultra, without the fans going even half as fast as with Grimrock or MMX:L.

And in the forums you have the usual debates between people giving the run of the mill "it's you pc" answer, and those slowly suspecting that there must be something going on, if a game with a substandard visual output and requirements like this, keeps stressing the gpu more than games that have way higher requirements, or use way more ressources while rendering way more objects.

There must be a bottomline somewhere, that ties the mechanics of this genre, or the engines together and manages to give a reasonable explanation for this. I refuse to believe that it's simple bad optimization.
I would love to hear a reasonable answer to this too. But since LoG1 AH has not really responded to the reoccurring performance and overheating issues.... On the other hand, they wrote their own pretty beautiful looking engine, a four men team.... so, I guess the answer will be optimization. On the positive side ... maybe some optimization will happen with the mac port.
Last edited by badhabit on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Overheating issues are a very common problem with laptop owners yet they are quite easy to solve. Fans and air ducts in those machines are already tiny. While designed to keep the system cool even under highest system load they do - like all others small things - love to collect dust over time and so their cooling effectivness is slowly and silently eaten away. Then once in a while you put a demanding program or game on it and - BAMM! - you run into a overheat crash due to dust. It's as simple as that in 90+% of all cases.

Basically all a laptop owner has to do is to take care of his system once in a while because it is used in your regular living environment and not in some dark clean locked and cooled server room. Some of the higher priced laptops even get cleaning routines added by the manufacturer for their cooling system; all you have to do is check how to activate them on a regular basic.

carlo222 did what i told him as 1st thing to do and now his system is running fine again.