Concealed buttons in walls

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
DJK

Re: Concealed buttons in walls

Post by DJK »

Isaac, do you know if anyone found out the meaning of the hidden areas in level 1,2 and 3 ? Just there to fill the map ? :)

Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvOm3vWZ8Jo
DJK

Post by DJK »

One more thing on top of my last message :D .. I noticed the following wall section in Lvl10..

vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX1C6JaqQ2U

As you can see (hear), when clicked upon it makes a sort of buttonish sound.. I ran around the level clicking on similar wall textures (like I did in the vid with the one closeby) but none of them make any sound at all... just the one there does ... Isaac, what are your thoughts :p (and on the previous post/vid) :)
agrjones

Post by agrjones »

I think there was a bit left unfinsihed in EoB.

For example the Stone Gem.
I can't tell you how many hours I spent messing around with the Level 11 Door-Star-button "puzzle" to see if some combination gave you the Stone Gem.

All thanks to one of the three scrolls you get in Level 7 Special Quest
"The light of the stars sparkles in the gem. Follow one to see the other."
:evil:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that the area on level one is not intended to be found (and is not fully functional... the button has no sound, and you can't even get to it without a hex edited game executable). It's almost certainly an unfinished section, never meant to be seen (once it was abandoned).
DJK wrote:One more thing on top of my last message :D .. I noticed the following wall section in Lvl10..

As you can see (hear), when clicked upon it makes a sort of buttonish sound.. I ran around the level clicking on similar wall textures (like I did in the vid with the one closeby) but none of them make any sound at all... just the one there does ... Isaac, what are your thoughts :p (and on the previous post/vid) :)
I'd found it before; I have no idea. There is no visible button. At one time, I had wondered if it was an engine limitation and they had made a mistake putting two switches in the same block ~there is a lever on the other side. I had thought it might be 'click-through', but that lever does not move when you click the spot on the wall.

** I wish that fellow would come back and post here some more... he (or she?) worked on Eye of the Beholder.
Nothing like quizzing a person about a game they worked on 22 years ago. :lol:
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I can't remember much except I liked the first half and eventually it got a bit grindy on the last level which had a boring map, but, someone at work said you can turn off some collision detection or something like that with a trainer and walk through all the walls to the rooms never used.
CommanderKeen

Post by CommanderKeen »

Since you guys are talking about EOB, I have a question about EOB II. I've been trying to replay it recently and have gotten to the part with the basilisks just after you free the old man to level up. In the level, you're supposed to get some gems to open a door, but one of the gems is missing. In every walkthrough and video I've seen, there's been a gem that you pick up, but it's not there for me! Does anybody have any suggestions?
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

CommanderKeen wrote:Since you guys are talking about EOB, I have a question about EOB II. I've been trying to replay it recently and have gotten to the part with the basilisks just after you free the old man to level up. In the level, you're supposed to get some gems to open a door, but one of the gems is missing. In every walkthrough and video I've seen, there's been a gem that you pick up, but it's not there for me! Does anybody have any suggestions?
Cheat.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

jfunk wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:Does anybody have any suggestions?
Cheat.
Was that an accusation or a suggestion? =)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Sol_HSA wrote:
jfunk wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:Does anybody have any suggestions?
Cheat.
Was that an accusation or a suggestion? =)

lol. Suggestion. :)

If it's not where it's supposed to be, probably means he already picked it up and accidentally dropped it somewhere. Why pull your hair our and spend hours looking for it?
CommanderKeen

Post by CommanderKeen »

jfunk wrote: If it's not where it's supposed to be, probably means he already picked it up and accidentally dropped it somewhere. Why pull your hair our and spend hours looking for it?
I'm sure I didn't accidentally pick it up. I saved when I first got to the level and have gone back to that save and haven't found it. I think at one point, I did use something on my copy to get rid of the DRM of EOBII since I had lost my manual long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if I messed it up when I did that. I did do a search and found you could use a hex editor to edit in items, so I might see if I can get in the gem I did using that. Anybody have any experience with hex editors and EOBII?