Run using WINE?

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
J-Rodder

Re: Run using WINE?

Post by J-Rodder »

I kept trying close to what you had done to no avail. I only had success downloading the DX9 redistributable from microsoft, and installing it with wine directly, the full thing. I also had to grab a wine package with pulseaudio patched in, I was haing a lot of issues with ALSA - Pulseaudio - wine.
afettouhi wrote:Has anybody gotten it to work under Arch Linux? I've installed the gog.com version several times and installed d3dx9, xact_jun2010 + d3dx9_43.dll and I keep getting this error...

Code: Select all

af@andre ~]$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/af/.local/share/wineprefixes/log" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/af/.local/share/wineprefixes/log/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/Legend\ of\ Grimrock.lnk
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
[af@andre ~]$ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eb18,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
fixme:d3dcompiler:D3DCompile data 0x4e5c90, data_size 169, filename "memory", defines (nil), include 0x33ebd0, entrypoint "main",
target "vs_3_0", sflags 0x8, eflags 0, shader 0x33ede8, error_messages 0x33edec stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eb18,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3dcompiler:D3DCompile data 0x4e5c90, data_size 169, filename "memory", defines (nil), include 0x33ebd0, entrypoint "main",
target "vs_3_0", sflags 0x8, eflags 0, shader 0x33ede8, error_messages 0x33edec stub!
Gobblearse

Post by Gobblearse »

Ubuntu 11.10 Wine 1.4 Nvidia 295.40
3.0.0-17-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP x86_64
Gnomeshell
gog.com's installer

After following the garbled instructions in this thread & --force installing some dlls with winetricks I finally got it working :D
Here are the steps:
read http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wine_Prefixes regarding Wine Prefixes if you're unfamiliar with the concept.
1. open a terminal
2. Enter these commands:

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/wine-grock
winecfg
wine setup_legend_of_grimrock_1.0.0.6.exe
Don't install Foxit Reader
Once installation is finished, exit the installer, do not launch the game.
Now, I think some dlls are overwritten by mistake. This kept me guessing for about 2hours or so. To fix it, enter these commands at the same terminal prompt:

winetricks directx9
winetricks d3dx9_43
winetricks d3dcompiler_43
winetricks --force xact
winetricks --force xact_jun2010
This command ( all on 1 line!) should now launch Grimrock for you :

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/wine-grock && cd ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/wine-grock/drive_c/Program\ Files/GOG.com/Legend\ of\ Grimrock && wine grimrock.exe
I hope this has helped you :P
J-Rodder

Post by J-Rodder »

Part of that garbling was my fault too.

I used your last post on another machine, and it worked fine without any complications. However, for anyone else not familiar with wine, you have to create your export directory first before running that first command. Also, at the end I had to run winecfg once more, and go to the "Libraries" tab, change d3dx9_43.dll to "builtin" in order to get it to run. YMMV.
Kubouch

Post by Kubouch »

The unpatched version worked for me without any problems. When I installed the 1.1.4 patch version it just didn't start. All I needed to do was to delete D3DX9_43.dll file in game install directory. It works so far.
Using GOG version, Ubuntu Studio 11.10, Wine 1.4.
Gobblearse

Post by Gobblearse »

J-Rodder wrote:Part of that garbling was my fault too.

I used your last post on another machine, and it worked fine without any complications. However, for anyone else not familiar with wine, you have to create your export directory first before running that first command. Also, at the end I had to run winecfg once more, and go to the "Libraries" tab, change d3dx9_43.dll to "builtin" in order to get it to run. YMMV.
Apologies if I sounded rude. Your info got me underway.

Thanks!
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

The game worked perfect for me bar the boss level where I saw a fps hit. Never crashed once.

Running an ATI HD3870 on a i920, with 18gb of ram, on Kubuntu 12.04 Beta. Plan to upgrade gfx card once HD7870 are cheaper.
BlackSanguine

Post by BlackSanguine »

Hello, I've followed the instructions for the GOG.com installation. I'm running Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu 11.10, I'm acquiring this error in Wine when I attempt to run Grimrock (there is also the terminal info as well):
ERROR: The following error occured while starting up the game:
D3DError - CreateTexture failed: D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

Please check that your computer mets the minimum system requirements. DirectX 9 is properly installed and that your graphics card and sound card drivers are up to date.

err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-chm.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-gif.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-hlp.desktop"
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-htm.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-ini.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-jfif.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-jpe.desktop"
fixme:alsa:AudioSessionControl_RegisterAudioSessionNotification (0x142398)->(0xeea3d4) - stub
fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Audio",0x12ee988): stub
fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadPriority (0x12345678)->(1) stub
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-msp.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-png.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-rtf.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-txt.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-url.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-wri.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/akj/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-xml.desktop"
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ea5c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory
fixme:d3d_texture:texture_init Failed to create surface 0x7987040, hr 0x8876017c
fixme:avrt:AvRevertMmThreadCharacteristics (0x12345678): stub
fixme:alsa:AudioSessionControl_UnregisterAudioSessionNotification (0x142398)->(0xeea3d4) - stub
fixme:alsa:AudioSessionControl_RegisterAudioSessionNotification (0x142210)->(0xeea3d4) - stub
fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Audio",0x13ee988): stub
fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadPriority (0x12345678)->(1) stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ea5c,0x00000000), stub!
err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory
fixme:d3d_texture:texture_init Failed to create surface 0x7d12428, hr 0x8876017c
fixme:avrt:AvRevertMmThreadCharacteristics (0x12345678): stub
fixme:alsa:AudioSessionControl_UnregisterAudioSessionNotification (0x142210)->(0xeea3d4) - stub
I'm running an HP Pavilion dv8 laptop and I have attempted a reinstall of the game as well. Thank you for your time and patience.
No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each others' worth.
Kubouch

Post by Kubouch »

BlackSanguine:
Try to find something about LoG on winehq.org. It should be neccessary to install some dlls through winetricks. Also try to delete D3DX9_43.dll from main install directory - this worked for me. Your error seems to be that you don't have DirectX9 or something. This should be solved by installing some dlls through winetricks as I mentioned before. I hope this will help.
BlackSanguine

Post by BlackSanguine »

It hasn't worked yet. If all else fails, I just wait for payday and buy it directly from the devs with a Steam key. I've spent $30 on worse products.
No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each others' worth.
BlackSanguine

Post by BlackSanguine »

Kubouch wrote:BlackSanguine:
Try to find something about LoG on winehq.org. It should be neccessary to install some dlls through winetricks. Also try to delete D3DX9_43.dll from main install directory - this worked for me. Your error seems to be that you don't have DirectX9 or something. This should be solved by installing some dlls through winetricks as I mentioned before. I hope this will help.
I did say that I followed the instructions to install the game. The winetricks section included. I have yet to resolve the situation. I have, however, made a post regarding the issue on WineHQ [ http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=25737 ]

EDIT: This link is also in relation to the issues that I'm having, and I'm assuming as to why the winetricks direct3d/etc are needed. Just posting for reference: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=513