Can you grind

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
dbgager

Re: Can you grind

Post by dbgager »

The problem is these games are balanced for proceeding normally through them. By grinding you are just entering easy mode.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

To be honest, the game is pretty grind proof in that each level requires exponentially more XP, when the entire party needs 30,000 more xp EACH to gain a level, killing enemies worth 500xp split four ways is going to take a LONG LONG time...

If you are willing to spend a week to gain 1 extra level (which will make a minimal difference) then go for it! :lol:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Darklord wrote:To be honest, the game is pretty grind proof in that each level requires exponentially more XP, when the entire party needs 30,000 more xp EACH to gain a level, killing enemies worth 500xp split four ways is going to take a LONG LONG time...

If you are willing to spend a week to gain 1 extra level (which will make a minimal difference) then go for it! :lol:

Daniel.
XP is NOT split. If you see 500xp from enemy, every party member who did dmg get this exp.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Ah ok, still my point stands it would take quite a while. ;)

Daniel.
seebs

Post by seebs »

You can probably, with a lot of patience, get about a level ahead. You can certainly be a bit ahead if you, say, actively pursue all the side things and secrets, and don't just drop mobs in pits to avoid them.
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

I was honestly hoping there would be more and harder enemies at the end who give tons of xp so you have a chance to get more levels to try out more skills....
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I guess the idea is you'll still have plenty of options for the levelling if we get to transfer our characters to a sequel. I suppose they could also increase the current skills to say 60 or 75 or something for the sequel.

I haven't completed the game yet myself so there may well be respawning enemies that give substantially more XP then I've seen so far.

Daniel.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Hissssa wrote:I was honestly hoping there would be more and harder enemies at the end who give tons of xp so you have a chance to get more levels to try out more skills....

There is room for plenty of walkthough's, trying different skills and builds.
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

SpoilerShow
I like having the option to grind. Dungeon Master certainly provided it, long before anyone even coined the term! Right by "This is my prisoner let him suffer" there's a small room with a portcullis and 4 screamers in it, if you kill the screamers and then walk round the corner the portcullis closes and the screamers respawn, infinitely. "Screamer Heaven" we used to call it. Nothing like calming screamers to get you up those priest levels :) So the presence of a "snail heaven" in Grimrock actually is faithful to the game's oldschool roots.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

I personally hate to grind. When I hit a position in a game where I have to grind to get onward, I hit the game with a cheat. I stopped playing paper mario because I couldn't advance, just because I had skipped a couple of enemies. Seriously, why give the player the choice to skip enemies if it's practically mandatory? Since there was no way to cheat, well, I stopped playing.

In various games where you have to do random chores to generate money to advance - say, assassins creed games - I cheat. I find the grinding horribly pointless. The games are usually entertaining enough without it.

Although I have to admit that some games become rather short - just cause 2 for instance.. =)

Soo anyway, I'd like to ask - do you want the possibility to grind to make the rest of the game easier, or do you just enjoy playing zynga games? :twisted:
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..