Dungeon Editor Public Beta

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
lowzei

Re: Dungeon Editor Public Beta

Post by lowzei »

@petri
Sorry, i didn't read through what has been reported already. It starts up now and threw me after a weird fullscreen/windowed LoG (desktop with app without system UI) into the windowed editor.
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Nice timing, just the thing to tide me over until Borderlands 2.
lowzei

Post by lowzei »

Works nicely so far, a few things:

It would be nice if selecting an item from the asset browser would also result into showing the 3d model in the inspector. This way the browser woud feel less abstract. If it slows down things too much, option in the prefs.

When you're selecting an item from the asset browser, you can't instantly drag it where you want it to be, instead you need to release the button first. It's a bit confusing.

Regarding the licence terms ( "We reserve the right to revise these rules at any time, with immediate and retroactive effect." ) i trust you on this one but these things always sound after you have zero rights if the developers changes his mind at some point.

Starting and stopping a scene by hitting F5 and Shift+F5. I would change this to F5 and F6 in order not having to use one hand from the mouse (if you aren't this acrobatic on certain keyboards). Hitting 1,2,3 for the editor only works if the scene isn't active, therefore it might be better placing it somewhere else like, dunno, shift+1/2/3, maybe remapping the F-keys as well (yes i saw the preferences).

*update*

I tried to add an item to an alcove, entered the first characters, then the specific selection only is possible by selecting the appropriate item via the keyboard, not by mouse.
Last edited by lowzei on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Repeatable program bug....
1. Activate Preview Mode
2. Press "F" to goto fullscreen mode.
3. Click Character Image
4. Click "BOOK" icon in upper right corner
5. Hit "ESC" (per book instructions)

At this point you are returned to editor at this point and are shown a mess in the preview window. The play button indicates that it is still active but does not respond to keyboard key presses.
Hitting pause Highlights the "Pause" button but does not restore the preview screen. Hitting the "Stop" than "Play" buttons return it to working order.

Note....The actual editing and such of levels appears to be unaffected by this bug
petri

Post by petri »

Wholley wrote:Repeatable program bug....
1. Activate Preview Mode
2. Press "F" to goto fullscreen mode.
3. Click Character Image
4. Click "BOOK" icon in upper right corner
5. Hit "ESC" (per book instructions)
At this point you are returned to editor at this point and are shown a mess in the preview window.
Thanks for the bug report!
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Got kill the first two times doing This Rotten Place, then did it in 14 seconds.
CremionisD

Post by CremionisD »

Here are my findings:

Problems:
- Can easily (and by accident) position multiple (logically non-stackable) items in same location, such as doors.
- Adding items to alcoves in inspector: Can't select the item name from the drop-down list that correctly appears.
- No error message if clicking play without start-location.

Ideas:
- When typing to asset browser, start choosing the first matching item
- Allow Drag & Drop items already placed in the dungeon. (For example, drag a monster to a different location; Yes, I realise that there is the "nudge" feature, but drag would be more convenient and intuitive)
- Group editing of similar items, such as pressure plates: It's very slow to do stuff as it is; Especially once you have filled that 5x5 room with invisible pressure plates and realise that you need to change something...
petri

Post by petri »

CremionisD wrote: - Adding items to alcoves in inspector: Can't select the item name from the drop-down list that correctly appears.
The autocomplete feature is intended to be used with the keyboard. Use arrow up/down to navigate the list while you type.
CremionisD wrote: - No error message if clicking play without start-location.
Thanks for the bug report and other feedback!
petri

Post by petri »

Dang, the moment the beta was launched I got hit by a flu. I hope I won't have to stay sick at home and fix those bugs from the bed :lol:
Komag

Post by Komag »

oh no, flus are no fun to go through! hope you get better soon!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play