Walkthrough Cluebook style. [SPOILER]

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Merethif

Re: Walkthrough Cluebook style. [SPOILER]

Post by Merethif »

@speros
Generally these are mostly your personal opinions, not general truths. The author of this Walkthrough Cluebook may have totally different views.
Beside presenting such personal opinions as a true facts makes one sounds like a Scrub or Stop Having Fun Guy.
speros wrote:2. PARTY : A) You can finish the game without Mage. - B) Members with ranged weapons have to always check the area after battle to collect their projectiles. Also keep in mind that some projectiles may go down to pits. - C) The most simple party to manage is probably 2 fighters in front and 2 rogues with Reach Attack at the Assassination skill in bottom row. So everybody hits with melee weapons kills monsters and goes on. No need to search for your arrows. No need to rest to refill energy.
A) Finishing without a Fighter is even easier. With 3 rogues and a mage most enemies are dead long before they come close enough to hit them with melee weapon.
B) Actually 3 rogues and a freezing mage is a way more easier. Especially final boss is a piece of cake with ranged attacks.
speros wrote:4. POTIONS : Don't bother a lot about potions. You can actually finish the game without drinking any. Just rest if you're poisoned or diseased.
Actually you can finish the game without many items. My second party (total game time 10 hours) haven't use a single melee weapon for entire game (unarmed rogue and mage in first row, archer and axe thrower in second row). As well you could say: Don't bother with swords, axes, maces and daggers. You can actually finish the game without any melee weapon. Also I haven't used a single piece of Heavy Armour during my first two playthroughs as well.
speros wrote:5. SPELLS : As we said before you can finish the game without a Mage.
As said before you can finish game without Fighter and without Rogue. What's the point then in saying obvious things?!
speros wrote:10. COMPASS : Not very useful since we have an automap and by just pressing TAB we can see where we are heading.
In old school mode you don't have automap.
Beside, as I said before, such information is pointless because you can say that about most items. So far my both parties finished the game without a single piece of heavy armour, not a single sword, mace or axe, but they always carried a compass. Should I ask for something like: heavy armours are not very usefull, swords are not very useful, axes are not very useful, maces are not very useful... totally pointless.
brthoma

Post by brthoma »

I will add some basic hints at a later time. I will skip the party creation, because that's basically up to each and every player how they like to play. If I did make one, it would be buildt on my personal experience, and that might not suit everyone.
Hints like "jump down pits" is a good one I would say, as it seems like all of the rooms under the pits are secluded, and there is allways a way back up.

Anyways, thanks for all the ideas. My guide is starting to get kinda big now and takes a bit of time to make. Still I find it kinda fun to create something like this.

I have now updated Level 7 and Level 8. Starting on Level 9 now.
speros

Post by speros »

I found the Beholder-1 cluebook (pdf) and from what I saw has sections about :
1) Character / Party
2) Combat ( tactics & ability scores )
3) Weapons / Armor
4) Spells
5) Monsters
6) Solving Puzzles ( actually hints about how to approach them )
7) Hints about completing each level
8) Full Solution ( Like the maps you make ! )
9) Treasure guide at the end.

It seems more logical to keep the full solution at the end of a cluebook.
That's why I tried to suggest some things prior to the "final" solution
in order to spice-up things a little bit. I don't Know if a cluebook about
Beholder-2 exists. I was wondering if it has the same sections ?
( edit : ok I found it. It's worst than the first one ! )