Lovecraft?

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Sawtan

Re: Lovecraft?

Post by Sawtan »

I'm a pretty huge Lovecraft fan, I tend to read at least one collected work a year, some years I read most of his more known stories (there's really a great number of ghost writings and collabs that haven't gotten that much attention, so I'm a bit behind on that part). My favorite stories must be "A Whisperer In Darkness", "Shadows Over Innsmouth", "Out of Space And Time" and "At the Mountains of Madness", but there's a load more stories that I tend to categorize amongst my favorites, but I don't want to fan boy it to hell hehe!

I have Cthulhu Saves the World on my Steam, but I haven't had time to play it through yet, always a treat to get into Lovecraft inspired stuff :)
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Nice.
I just realized how huge this thread has gotten lol.
And on the blog!!! woot!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
-H.P Lovecraft

^Admit it's greatness or get out!:P
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

Lovecraft, yes... He's been one of my definitive favourites ever since I read the three omnibuses 17-18 years ago. Never lots his lustre to me and just last year my wife somehow got hold of his "Collected Poems" from the 60ies, limited to a couple thousand copies. Also my study/office is adorned by Cthulhu and his God-mates in many shapes and forms; plush, plastic, resin, clay... Yeah, I'm an addict. :)

I also played CoC pen and paper RPG a number of times and all the computer games I could find with a Lovecraftian theme. Music? Yup, that as well. I listen to, most of the time, doom, black and death metal and everything in between. "The Outsider" by Bethzaida is a favourite with its gnawing riffs and eerie flute. Another FANTASTICALLY cool song is "Kutulu!" by The Vision Bleak - I daresay it will please many of you out there so give it a try and I'm sure you'll drool and headbang to "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu ftaghn!".

The Vision Bleak also has a plethora of other songs with the Mythos at their core: Horror of Antartica, The Outsider, Mother Nothingness (The Triumph Of Ubbo Sathla) and more.

Hm, music and/or Lovecraft and I get carried away - sorry!
Farinhir

Post by Farinhir »

Have not taken the time to read all the posts, but I just have to say that I have been playing a game called "Cthulhu Saves the World". Lots of funny Lovecraft parody in it (obviously I am sure) but it is a nice and cheap old school style RPG with plenty of humor. Worth the $3 I paid for it and "Breath of Death VII"
mike30542

Post by mike30542 »

Big fan of HPL for many years now. First read him in early 1960's. Pride of place on my bookshelf is "Necronomicon - The best weird tales of H.P.Lovecraft" published in 2008.
Fans might also like to try August Derleth for more in the same genre.
Caspica

Post by Caspica »

mike30542 wrote:Big fan of HPL for many years now. First read him in early 1960's. Pride of place on my bookshelf is "Necronomicon - The best weird tales of H.P.Lovecraft" published in 2008.
Fans might also like to try August Derleth for more in the same genre.
That edition kicks ass! It looks like a book named Necronomicon actually should look like.
ozmiz

Post by ozmiz »

Haven't posted in here because I have to confess my ignorance on the topic... however after keeping up with the posts, I am making it a point to start reading the material.

Does anyone know what book I need to start reading being new, or does it matter?
LoG Survivor!!
Surviving Party: Mino - Fighter, Liz - Rogue, Insect - Mage, Human - Rogue
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Hmmm....
The best to start with, imho would be The Statement of Randolph Carter, or, if your not afraid of a longer read, then definitely At the Mountains of Madness
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
-H.P Lovecraft

^Admit it's greatness or get out!:P
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

Shadow wrote:Hmmm....
The best to start with, imho would be The Statement of Randolph Carter, or, if your not afraid of a longer read, then definitely At the Mountains of Madness
This!

But 'The Call of Cthulhu' is also a fine options and sometimes easier to find. Others include The Dunwch Horror, The Colour of of Space, The Thing on the Doorstep, The Shadow over Innsmouth and the Haunter of the Dark. I might have forgotten a few but these are the most accessible stories in addition to the ones Shadow mentioned. Start with those and if you like them you can move onto the weirder stuff. If you find the HP Lovecraft Omnibuses (1-3) you have all you need for a while ;)
Reldn

Post by Reldn »

Huge fan of Lovecraft's work. Hard to pick a favourite really, but... My current top five would be: "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath", "The Rats in the Walls", "The Colour out of Space", "At the Mountains of Madness", and "Pickman's Model".

*grumbles* I just wish that Dark Corners of the Earth would quit crashing on me, so I could actually play through it.