I will buy a copy when the Linux version comes out.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Morgan

Re: I will buy a copy when the Linux version comes out.

Post by Morgan »

In my case, there is no texture issue in latest wine but I've had problem with Audio2Create() function. So, looks like texture patch was included into main wine branch.

I'll check LoG after release, but not earlier than 15th april, after returning to home.
BigRob154

Post by BigRob154 »

Okay... installed Wine 1.5.1 from the dev branch and the HWTest runs fine on my MacBook Pro ( Geforce GT 330M 256 MB VRAM ). In windowed mode @ 1024 x 768 i get around 60 fps on medium settings. SSAO is a bit buggy. When i set it to High i get 20 fps, set it to Medium i get 30 fps. At Low i get 60 fps, setting back to Medium it runs still at 60 fps.

Sound works well too.

BTW a framerate limiter would be nice to save some resources :)
Gamerkought

Post by Gamerkought »

BigRob154 wrote:Okay... installed Wine 1.5.1 from the dev branch and the HWTest runs fine on my MacBook Pro ( Geforce GT 330M 256 MB VRAM ). In windowed mode @ 1024 x 768 i get around 60 fps on medium settings. SSAO is a bit buggy. When i set it to High i get 20 fps, set it to Medium i get 30 fps. At Low i get 60 fps, setting back to Medium it runs still at 60 fps.

Sound works well too.

BTW a framerate limiter would be nice to save some resources :)
So... Vsync?
petri

Post by petri »

When benchmarking, always turn off vertical sync.

When playing, it's probably best to turn on Triple Buffering (from vertical sync combobox) on systems that can't run the game steadily at 60 fps. This way frame rate won't get halved when it drops.
BigRob154

Post by BigRob154 »

VSync was turned Off. I couldn't activate it. Every time when i set it to On and clicked on Apply the screen reloaded and it automatically switched to Off.

Edit:
There was no Combo-Box for selecting Triple-buffering. HWTest Version was something like 0901 or so.
petri

Post by petri »

Oh, yeah, sorry about that. Triple Buffering was implemented after releasing the compatibility test and vertical sync was forced off in the test anyway.

The fps you were getting (60,30,20) still sounds like something was forcing vsync on - maybe force enabled in driver settings?
BigRob154

Post by BigRob154 »

Good question... On OS X you have no driver settings / control panel like in Windows because the drivers come from Apple. Maybe Wine is forcing VSync.
EtrianO

Post by EtrianO »

LethalBlade wrote:Yes, they should bother to make a Linux version for the 3 people that want it.
I love this "for the X people that want it" logic. It`s cute, but hardly ever makes sense.

Let`s assume there`s ~ 30 million Linux users in the world (2009 data). Out of this number, let`s say 5% would be interested in playing a top notch dungeon crawler with rave reviews.
We`re at 1.5 million now - that`s a crazy number of course, for various reasons, but even divided by 10 it`s still 150 k potential sales. And even feeling charitable and dividing by 3 again = 50k people > 3 people.

Sure, can`t expect a small studio to bother with a conversion. No reason to dismiss the idea though.
robc

Post by robc »

EtrianO wrote:
LethalBlade wrote:Yes, they should bother to make a Linux version for the 3 people that want it.
I love this "for the X people that want it" logic. It`s cute, but hardly ever makes sense.

Let`s assume there`s ~ 30 million Linux users in the world (2009 data). Out of this number, let`s say 5% would be interested in playing a top notch dungeon crawler with rave reviews.
We`re at 1.5 million now - that`s a crazy number of course, for various reasons, but even divided by 10 it`s still 150 k potential sales. And even feeling charitable and dividing by 3 again = 50k people > 3 people.

Sure, can`t expect a small studio to bother with a conversion. No reason to dismiss the idea though.
I agree that the idea shouldn't be dismissed, but your numbers aren't even close to realistic. I couldn't find out how many more Windows users there are in the world than Linux, but I'm guessing that it is a lot. This is probably even more so for the home computer (as opposed to businesses). My guess is that Almost Human would be pretty happy selling your conservative estimate (50K) to Windows users, which probably has a much larger potential customer base.
BigRob154

Post by BigRob154 »

I think most Linux users out there have a Windows box or at least a Windows partition on their HDD. Otherwise most of them know they are on their own - most time. There are some tools to get Windows games running on Linux / OS X which are well known.

But a "legal" port from the developer is the best option, for sure.