Options for Frustration Reduction and Age/Ability Fairness

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Brodie301

Re: Options for Frustration Reduction and Age/Ability Fairne

Post by Brodie301 »

In a way Darklord I guess so. And it is a good topic that I can see from all angles.

And yes I am definitely having trouble on a majority of them. But I'm having tons of fun having that trouble. I see it as the difficulty should be in the fighting not the puzzles. I was a huge Myst series player and take it back to there as I don't believe there was difficulty/timing drop in those puzzles.
The FORCE is with me!!!
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

My avatar greets you, Mr. Brodie301, my good sir :D
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

It's just that if I REALLY struggled in my 30's I can see older players or those with slower reactions not being able to complete them, it would just be nice to give those with slower reactions a chance. Anyway I'm sure the AH guys will consider their options at least. :)

Right back to the depths! :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

Also,I was having major difficulty at first due to slow computer until I dropped settings down.
Then a puzzle i tried 30 times before I got on 1st or 2nd try.
Just a thought.
The FORCE is with me!!!
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

And to you also
The FORCE is with me!!!
Myeka

Post by Myeka »

Darklord wrote: This is the problem I think, timing puzzles do not get any easier on the different modes, I would suggest how they are now is fine for Hard, slightly longer for Normal, and a decent bit longer for Easy please.

What dungeon crawler would you recommend for people with slightly slower reactions? This sub-genre isn't that popular any more you know! (May change after LoG of course)

Daniel.
You can't imagine how hard it is to tune a level difficulty. Because there will be always someone to say "It's too Hard for the normal mode!" or "It's too easy for the Hard mode!". In fact, the hard timed-puzzles are mostly optional (like the one you had troubles with) so they should be hard, even on normal difficulty. And i'm sure you were exhilerating when you beat the riddle at the end of level 7, and way more than if you had solved it in a single try. You may have been frustrated for a little bit, but you've ended feeling like your really earned your reward. And that's the true feeling you should always expect from any games!
cryocore

Post by cryocore »

Dear Almost Human

Please ignore the entire original post. Pandering to people unable/unwilling to deal with something designed to be part of the experience should play something more in tune with their skill level, or intelligence. In a time where games are being made easier and easier its time some actual challenge was put back in to games.

Change nothing. In fact a new dungeon with killer puzzles would be great. I personally loved the game, but found a lot of it very easy.

There are dozens and dozens of easy rpg games out there (basically anything produced in the last 6-7 years) its time a resurgence in challenge and accomplishment. Its why I loved Demon/Dark Souls and Legend of Grimrock. I needed skill AND intelligence. Anyone suggesting that these need to be reduced imo should stick to Farmville and stay away from games like this.
Myeka

Post by Myeka »

cryocore wrote: but found a lot of it very easy.
Thank you for making my point ;)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Myeka wrote: You can't imagine how hard it is to tune a level difficulty.
Very challenging I'm sure!
Myeka wrote: And i'm sure you were exhilerating when you beat the riddle at the end of level 7, and way more than if you had solved it in a single try. You may have been frustrated for a little bit, but you've ended feeling like your really earned your reward. And that's the true feeling you should always expect from any games!
My first reaction was relief that I could finally stop doing it, I hate leaving unsolved puzzles! :lol: My second reaction was SAVE QUICKLY, I didn't want to have to do it again! :D

Daniel.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

cryocore wrote:Dear Almost Human
Change nothing. In fact a new dungeon with killer puzzles would be great. I personally loved the game, but found a lot of it very easy.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the game so much, so am I. I would also like many others to enjoy the game who may struggle with certain sections how it is. :)

I can see why you want a new dungeon it is definately a worthy goal, one I would like to. I guess sometimes it's nice to think of others before yourself though, especially if it's something just a few tweaks could change.

Anyway like I said before AH knows some people struggle if they decided to make a few optional tweaks or not is up to them. :)

Daniel.