Are rogues useful?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Patchumz

Re: Are rogues useful?

Post by Patchumz »

HeavyMetalMonk wrote:
Patchumz wrote:
HeavyMetalMonk wrote:Except no, because if you had built your rogue properly with daggers and assassination (if you're going for damage output on a rogue) you'd see 80's flying all over the place with ridiculous speed and evasion so high it wouldn't even matter that they can attack from the back row (except now you have two front row fighters plus this badass rogue)
First, 80's are low; second, they can miss; third, their damage can be heavily mitigated by armor (trolls); fourth, they lack the utility a mage can bring
SpoilerShow
invisibility, elemental shields, etc
The only benefit a rogue has over a mage, is unlimited attacks without resting, and maybe the dodge tree. But with enough good armor you can turn your mage into an evasion tank too.
80's aren't low when you're at the point in the game where your frontrow fighters hit for 100 when their specials kick in, plus the rogue gets much faster cooldown.
Front row fighters are also weaker than mages, lol. Once you get the 50% cast speed thing in Spellcraft, magic recharges faster than my Fighter's sword.
killington

Post by killington »

Patchumz wrote: Front row fighters are also weaker than mages, lol. Once you get the 50% cast speed thing in Spellcraft, magic recharges faster than my Fighter's sword.
You rest after every battle or something? I basically use 1 spell per battle just to keep the mage from losing xp. Unless its an ogre, then I go crazy.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

killington wrote:
Patchumz wrote: Front row fighters are also weaker than mages, lol. Once you get the 50% cast speed thing in Spellcraft, magic recharges faster than my Fighter's sword.
You rest after every battle or something? I basically use 1 spell per battle just to keep the mage from losing xp. Unless its an ogre, then I go crazy.
I have two mages, Air and Ice in my back row. And no, I don't rest after every battle. The only time I've had to do that is when the enemy is immune to Ice.
killington

Post by killington »

Patchumz wrote:
killington wrote:
I have two mages, Air and Ice in my back row. And no, I don't rest after every battle. The only time I've had to do that is when the enemy is immune to Ice.
My point was, if you have enough energy to be casting everytime its off cooldown, you must be doing alot of resting in between battles.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

killington wrote:
Patchumz wrote:
killington wrote:You rest after every battle or something? I basically use 1 spell per battle just to keep the mage from losing xp. Unless its an ogre, then I go crazy.
My point was, if you have enough energy to be casting everytime its off cooldown, you must be doing alot of resting in between battles.
Due to the amount of damage they do after you get the Greater spell boosts from deep in the tree, the mobs don't take that many casts. So I don't rest all that often.
Devil

Post by Devil »

Not sure when the thread got derailed into a "Do mages run out of mana?" thread but I'll add my thoughts anyway 8-)

If you pumped willpower at the start, mages soon start getting huge mana pools, and as Patchumz said, after you get the greater spell boosts (probably excluding earth and ice greater boosts as they are lower damage) you wont need that many casts during each combat
Tuco Benedicto

Post by Tuco Benedicto »

My "missile weapon" rogue is probably the greatest damage dealer in the party and has range as a clear advantage with some enemies.
So yeah, they can be useful.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Is it better to go with a ranged rogue (basically maxing out only missile weapons, the rest is useless to that king of gameplay) or with an assassination/dagger rogue considering they both stay in the back row?
Minax

Post by Minax »

Tuco Benedicto wrote:My "missile weapon" rogue is probably the greatest damage dealer in the party and has range as a clear advantage with some enemies.
So yeah, they can be useful.
Yup! My archer rogue really picked up once he got the "shoot two arrows at once"-thingy, the increased critical chance and a decent supply of arrows. Just finished my first playthrough and I'd rather go without a mage than without a rogue on my second one (but that's probably just personal preference).

btw Patchumz, are you the same Patchumz from the Dungeon Defender forums? If so, then hi! ;)
"Oh what secrets we could tell if you'd listen and be still
Rid the stink and the noise from our skirts
But you haven't got the clue and perhaps you never will
Mute we stand on the cold plains of Wiltshire "
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Same, I've got my Rogue to 50 with throwing weapons now and she is awesome, most damage by far. :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...