A day or so in, what is your general impression of the game?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
spfiota

Re: A day or so in, what is your general impression of the g

Post by spfiota »

I'm really enjoying it. I'm on level 6 or so and I still haven't encountered a single enemy I can sweep aside. Even enemies from the first couple levels can be deadly if I'm not on my toes. I love that.

The puzzles are excellent, and some of them really make you think outside the box. I don't know if I've ever had to think laterally in a video game before, and I really appreciate that.

I find it insulting how easy and simple mainstream games are. No thought or effort needed on my part. Everything is a cakewalk. I'd like to believe even the lowest common denominator is smarter than that, but according to EA, Activision, et al, gamers are brainless idiots who can't handle a puzzle or a challenge.

I do wish there were more classes and races. That's the biggest detractor. I see no reason to replay the game. that said, great overall.
xenogias

Post by xenogias »

I havent had this much fun in a long time. As odd as it feels for me to say because I enjoy lots of games. The only real complaint I have so far is the combat. I know most people are going to disagree with me but it feels like the way the combat currently works it would have worked better as a turn based system. That said the combat isnt BAD by any means. Diffrent but not bad.

P.S. I think I might be one of the few experiencing this but for the love of my sanity please either reduce the % chance to get poisoned or reduce how long it lasts from spiders. I have gone through the first area you find them 4 diffrent times now and only once have I not gotten poisoned on the first hit. I dont know if its a bug or not since my friends playing say they havent been poisoned more than once or twice.
Krotch ScroteGuzzle

Post by Krotch ScroteGuzzle »

Loving it and I'm hoping it resurrects the genre. :P

Only gripe: no key binding attacks. That is easily fixed however in the AutoHotKey thread. Game is great in every other way, but I'm guessing no hot-keying attacks will probably shave about 10 points off the game's metascore and lose at least a few thousand copies in sales.
brick

Post by brick »

Game of the Year.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Darklord wrote:
eharper256 wrote:The Light Spell helps
I quite like the light spell, it isn't as bright as a torch,
SpoilerShow
Which means sometimes you can notice light coming through a secret door
Daniel.
Oh, I've got no problem with the light level, I like it. Just the micromanagement I was concerned about.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I was really loving it until I got to level 3 and encountered the spiders, got bored with curing poison damage, threw the game in the bin.
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
Betongborr

Post by Betongborr »

perkele, l love it. 4 finnish guys made a game im enjoying more than some so called triple AAA games with staffs numbering in the hundreds. And it only cost 12 bucks thats a bargain for ~15 hours of challenging and fun gameplay with some replayvalue. Its not perfect and frustratring sometimes., but a good start and i hope for sequals or DLC that add more classes, races, skills and new type of puzzles and mobs. I want more.

My fav monents?

+The scary parts like meeting your 1st spider or the gratemonster. The dim lightning effects were you dont see the monster diretly(siluttes etc) and hear them crawling around adds much to the scare factor. I actually think the torches should be dimmed down a bit. Its more fun and scary with the light spell. I havent been this scared since playing Silent Hill 2. Scare factor 10/10.

+The wide variety of puzzles. I "hate" the ones where you have to do timed sequence movements over trapdoors. Probably because im a bit clumsy. and i have to do them over and over again :lol:. Are there clues for all puzzles? I would like a better variety of switches and maybe having a rogue will give you better chance at spotting them and I would like traps added to the game.

+Designing my own party and do some micromanagement with inventery and skills. Some games today are too dumbed down and few of us actually like the planning aspect as much as playing.

+Any mob can kill you if they gang up on you. I like the fact that you have to really plan your fights instead of going in all guns blazing. Choosing where to fight is really important.
Quickmix

Post by Quickmix »

Best RPG since 1987 when Dungeon Master was released + Chaos strikes Back!
Also Black Crypt from Raven Software was Hard as Hell.

But Legend of Grimrock sets the new Standard of today in RPG's (with Dungeons, Puzzles and Atmo).
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

Best summed up in one word: awesomesauce
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

spfiota wrote:I'm really enjoying it. I'm on level 6 or so and I still haven't encountered a single enemy I can sweep aside. Even enemies from the first couple levels can be deadly if I'm not on my toes. I love that.

The puzzles are excellent, and some of them really make you think outside the box. I don't know if I've ever had to think laterally in a video game before, and I really appreciate that.

I find it insulting how easy and simple mainstream games are. No thought or effort needed on my part. Everything is a cakewalk. I'd like to believe even the lowest common denominator is smarter than that, but according to EA, Activision, et al, gamers are brainless idiots who can't handle a puzzle or a challenge.

I do wish there were more classes and races. That's the biggest detractor. I see no reason to replay the game. that said, great overall.
Totally agree about the puzzles, it's been getting worse and worse particularly in RPGs, I actually think it was the Lands of Lore games, EotB III and Daggerfall that killed dungeons for everyone, as they seemed to completely do away with puzzle solving and just hit you with badly constructed confusing warren like mazes which were annoying and no fun. That gave dungeons a bad name and everyone forgot how well they could be designed. Even when there are dungeons in modern RPGs, they've become shallow, linear things that are little more than a backdrop against which to fight monsters while following floating arrows to your quest objective. Meanwhile MMOs have done their best to reduce RPG combat to a realtime exercise in balancing spreadsheets.