Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Goffmog

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by Goffmog »

Pierzasty wrote: Dungeon Master II: Legend of Skullkeep - this game holds a special place in my heart as it was the first game I ran after I bought a sound card. Suddenly the silence, beeps and boops gave way to excellent music, wind blowing in a forest and creepy monster sounds.
That game was a huge disappointment to me. I thought the shops turned so much of the experience into a grind. The drones were poor excuses for monster design, the levelling was too fast, the atmosphere was ruined by automaps and cartoon graphics and the game was too short.

However, I loved the music :)

I find I really can't get into Ultima Underword - It's probably because I missed it the first time around and having played a lot of free movement 1st person games since then, find the control system too awkward. The first free movement 1st person RPG I ever played was Daggerfall, which remains a hilight of RPGs for me... (Actually, there were a couple of games on the spectrum and the brilliant Mercenary trilogy on the Arati ST but I may have just imagined them)
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

EoB 2
Kukulcan

Post by Kukulcan »

Goffmog wrote:
Pierzasty wrote:That game was a huge disappointment to me. I thought the shops turned so much of the experience into a grind. The drones were poor excuses for monster design, the levelling was too fast, the atmosphere was ruined by automaps and cartoon graphics and the game was too short.
Yeah, same here, didn't finish as I was stuck, all I remember from the game is the stupid table.
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

So far is legend of grimrock, cause I never had the patience or interest in other dungeon crawlers. And belive me, I tried a lot.
Rya.Reisender

Post by Rya.Reisender »

My favorite of all times is Shining in the Darkness. Then comes Legend of Grimrock.
raggeragnar

Post by raggeragnar »

HA HA HA !!! Now THAT is a cruel question. Hmmm . I can't seem to make up my mind ..... But if I absolutely had to choose , I would properbly say . . . . . . . Black Crypt.
My classmate photocopied the game instruction pages from the book and gave them to me when I bought the game in 1992 , and then he kept the book with the cheatpages away from me so I wouldn't cheat. He didn't do that for himself a couple of weeks earlier , so he didn't want me to get tempted. To this day I am still grateful for that. I got the full game experience and the satisfaction of completing it by myself. When I showed him that I finished , I got it back and could start over and complete the things that I missed. I still got the Amiga , the game+box+book AND his photocopied pages , HA HA HA. 20 years , oh my GOD , I'm an old geezer.....
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Eye of the Beholder II, tied with Menzoberranzan (CD version).

Eye of the Beholder II needs no words. It is simply brilliant.

Menzoberranzan's visuals were absolutely stunning when it was released, and it was easily finishable without a hint book. A very nice game for beginners. I absolutely LOVE all the portraits.
The disk version of Menzoberranzan lacked a LOT of content though. So if you're going to try to find this game, definitely go for the CD version.
And did I mention one of the possible party members is Drizzt Do'urden? (Although -small spoiler- you won't get to keep him.)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

For me it has to be EOB.

It's funny... I bought Eye of the Beholder before I had a computer that could run it ~think about that. :roll:

I had played it several times on my friend's new Amiga 2000, but the computer that I had [and had had for a long time] was a Tandy CoCo 3 (this would not run any version of EOB).
I happened to find a boxed copy of EOB for the PC in a thrift shop along with 'Curse of the Azure Bonds'. By this time I had a Tandy 1000EX ~but it only had enough RAM to run Curse, not EOB. Later, I obtained the ram upgrade and was finally able to run EOB with 16 color Tandy graphics and 3 voice Tandy sound... Later I [eventually] obtained a VGA [and sound card] equipped 386 with enough RAM to finally play the game at close to the Amiga's quality.
SpoilerShow
Years later by quirk of fate, I was given the self same Amiga 2000 and EOB Amiga floppies that I had first used to play EOB in the beginning.
DJK

Post by DJK »

Isaac wrote:For me it has to be EOB.

It's funny... I bought Eye of the Beholder before I had a computer that could run it ~think about that. :roll:

Later I [eventually] obtained a VGA [and sound card] equipped 386 with enough RAM to finally play the game at close to the Amiga's quality.
The amiga version of Eye1 was a lot better then the IBM compatible... (not only the graphics, but especially the sound... oh and the pc version didn't have an ending while the amiga version has a ending cinematic :)
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

Rya.Reisender wrote:My favorite of all times is Shining in the Darkness. Then comes Legend of Grimrock.
Yes, that's one of mine too. The only example of the Japanese ever getting roleplaying right... Unless you count Zelda as an RPG :) Also easily my favourite game on the Megadrive/Genesis.