Multiple magic schools spells pack

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
AndakRainor

Re: Multiple magic schools spells pack

Post by AndakRainor »

akroma222 wrote:Could we alter the Gaze hit chance based on which way the party is facing??
I was thinking the same thing, why not? But I still don't see how willpower is involved in the original myth! I could use it in a RNG hit formula, but as my mod is based on allowing imported characters and scaling monsters, the attack would still have to scale. So it would just make casters harder to hit than non-casters, and they already have a spell to become immune so... I think this is a very bad idea!
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

I shared the editors files of Magic of Grimrock in the MISCELLANEOUS section on the Nexus for those that wanted to see the code for the non-spells features of the mod.

I don't recommend taking the code as it is but maybe making something more clean inspired by it.

For example my last addition is a pre-import script that alters the defineObject function (for the detect spells), but I still have a directory with all monsters redefined with most of them having only one added component for the automatic scaling system, it could be done in the defineObject function instead.

As it was not meant to be shared, but preparing proper dungeon example for each system would take time (and I am lazy!) I will gladly answer to any question about it, but in this thread instead of private messages, if you don't mind. This way everyone can benefit from it :)
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

AndakRainor wrote:
akroma222 wrote:Could we alter the Gaze hit chance based on which way the party is facing??
I was thinking the same thing, why not? But I still don't see how willpower is involved in the original myth! I could use it in a RNG hit formula, but as my mod is based on allowing imported characters and scaling monsters, the attack would still have to scale. So it would just make casters harder to hit than non-casters, and they already have a spell to become immune so... I think this is a very bad idea!
A tricky thing really - to beat the Medusa/s you need to rely on reflections, sound and cunning - while dodging their arrows...
Difficult to translate that into almost ANY combat system (I guess AH found a happy compromise ;) )
Also, you are very very generous to give people the Flow of Mind spell :lol: (maybe Im just really mean? :twisted: )
sargris

Post by sargris »

Hi.

Experienced a few crashes with Time Bolt when a monster reapprear on another one. (Frequent in spider fight)

Destroying spider eggs does not seam to stop or even slow down spiders spawning rate witch makes the mines by far the hardest part of the adventure (to humble me).

I think it's the same in the original game, but when you cast a spell and at the same time a monster attacks, since he is kind of "on your team", you take the dmgs, not him. It hurts on slow spells (acane torrent) vs high attack rate monsters (yeah... spiders again :lol: ). Makes you carefull what you shoot at and when.

Falling 2 levels with windrider does dmgs (not 1). May be it's intended.

Toorum mode is great. How does leveling work ? You level faster ok. But is a level 6 single char team faced to the same monster level as a 4 char team witch average level of 6 ?
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Hello!
sargris wrote:Experienced a few crashes with Time Bolt when a monster reapprear on another one. (Frequent in spider fight)
I just tried this in the mine but I can not reproduce any crash. When a monster reappears it just pushes other monsters and the party from the same tile. What is the error message you get?
sargris wrote:Destroying spider eggs does not seam to stop or even slow down spiders spawning rate witch makes the mines by far the hardest part of the adventure (to humble me).
It does! If you want to know the details of how it works, look at those baby spiders swarming on the ground... Each one is a future adult :). Eggs spawn baby spidders when spidders are killed or when they are themselves killed: 7 babies in this case! So it is normal that you don't see the number of spidders go down immediatly.
sargris wrote:I think it's the same in the original game, but when you cast a spell and at the same time a monster attacks, since he is kind of "on your team", you take the dmgs, not him. It hurts on slow spells (acane torrent) vs high attack rate monsters (yeah... spiders again :lol: ). Makes you carefull what you shoot at and when.
Yeah the projectile spells are better at range for this reason. You should use something else in melee, or turn it in your favor with vengeance :twisted:
sargris wrote:Falling 2 levels with windrider does dmgs (not 1). May be it's intended.
Not intended, but the game engine works this way. The spell itself just limits your falling speed.
sargris wrote:Toorum mode is great. How does leveling work ? You level faster ok. But is a level 6 single char team faced to the same monster level as a 4 char team witch average level of 6 ?
Yes with one character you are facing monsters of the same level as you are, and with multiple characters monsters of the same level as your average level.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

AndakRainor wrote:
sargris wrote:Falling 2 levels with windrider does dmgs (not 1). May be it's intended.
Not intended, but the game engine works this way. The spell itself just limits your falling speed.
In the Grimrock 1 engine, I used to disable the party during falls ~when needed (which would work), but in Grimrock 2 why not have the spell add a condition during the fall that affords immunity from fall damage?
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

The spell already uses a condition... So why not! How do you prevent falling damage only? (Just curious, I don't know if it is an easy thing to do or not, I never tried that).
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Isaac wrote:
AndakRainor wrote:
In the Grimrock 1 engine, I used to disable the party during falls ~when needed (which would work), but in Grimrock 2 why not have the spell add a condition during the fall that affords immunity from fall damage?
Isn't fall damage checked as physical?
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Here is a concept Feather Fall spell: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ls98cplwifdl ... n.zip?dl=0

I had originally planned to negate damage in the party's onDamage() hook, but I realized [discovered], that a slow enough fall did that automatically. 8-)
SpoilerShow

Code: Select all

defineCondition{
   name = "feather_fall",
   uiName = "Feather Fall",
   description = "Slows falling speed, and makes one immune to falling damage.",
   icon = 11,
   iconAtlas = "assets/textures/gui/conditions.tga",
   beneficial = true,
   harmful = false,
   tickInterval = .5,
 	onStart = function(self)
 	  self:setDuration(5)
   end,
   onRecomputeStats = function(self, champion)
   	 	if party.gravity:isFalling() then
   	 		if champion:getOrdinal() == 1 then
   	 			GameMode.setGameFlag("DisableMovement", true)
   	 	     else GameMode.setGameFlag("DisableMovement", false)
   	 	    end 	
   	 	end
   	 end,
   onStop = function(self, champion)
 	  GameMode.setGameFlag("DisableMovement", false)
 	  playSound("spell_expires")
   end,
    onTick = function(self)
      party.gravity:setFallingSpeed(-1)
   end,
}

defineSpell{
	name = "feather_fall",
	uiName = "Feather Fall",
	gesture = 3258741,
	manaCost = 35,
	onCast = function(champion, x, y, direction, elevation, skillLevel) 
				 	for x = 1, 4 do
		 	  			party.party:getChampion(x):setCondition("feather_fall", (skillLevel*3)) playSound("map_turn_page") 
		 	  		end 
		 	  end,

skill = "concentration",
	requirements = { "concentration", 3 },
	icon = 58,
	spellIcon = 18,
	description = "Conjures an effect on the party, that temporarily slows their vertical descent.",
}

**It might have been better to have the condition start sapping the caster's Energy either immediately, or once they start falling; rather than the timed expiration I used.
(But the way it is works with a potion or enchanted object as well as a spell.)

I also discovered interesting potential: This spell would allow for lateral movement on the way down, if I hadn't disabled it. Perhaps that effect could go in another spell; or as part of a rappelling effect with a custom rope asset.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

The slow fall effect comes from minmay's asset pack, with this code:

Code: Select all

if party.gravity:getFallingSpeed() > 7 then party.gravity:setFallingSpeed(7) end
It is interesting you used -1 instead, I think this is how you got the lateral movement allowed. But did you check if it prevents damage when you fall two maps lower? This is the problem sargris talked about. In Isle of Nex it can be seen in the crystal mine.