Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Akatana

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by Akatana »

I think Anvil of Dawn is one of the best Dungeon Crawlers out there :)
Mrs. Rosa

Post by Mrs. Rosa »

He are my Favourites

1. DM + Chaos Strikes Back
2. Fate Gates of Dawn /Amiga Playable with WIN UAE and its for free now. You can download it here http://www.mightandmagicworld.de/phpbb/forum10.html
The best and hardest RGP i have ever ever played. 7 Partymembers, Tons of Spells and Professions. IF you think you are good the go into the next dungeon and die fast :D
EtrianO

Post by EtrianO »

eharper256 wrote: Wow, another Millenium player, that's rare.
What? Somebody called me? ;)

I see we`re going off topic here, but what the hell - Amiga spirit is strong here I see. How about Supremacy, eh?
I`m going through NES games at the moment and was surprised to find a version there too - it`s actually quite cool.
saintus

Post by saintus »

My favourite are the superb game Legend of Faerghail released for the Amiga in 1990. It had it all. Great music/sound and graphics not to speak of a huge game world. As realtime dungeon crawlers my favourite must be Black Crypt.

/saintus from http://crpgrevisited.blogspot.com
marcuz99

Post by marcuz99 »

For me Eye of the Beholder 1 on Amiga, played countless of times, I've even contributed the italian translation for it some years ago for an AGA chipset version.

But also Black Crypt, Temple of Elemental Evil, Dark Knights of Krynn and even Thunderscape i guess!
Saetia

Post by Saetia »

The Amiga was WAYYY before my time, but when I was four or so I played EOB on the SNES. Of course at that age I was doing things like using keys as weapons, but when I was seven I finally took the time to beat it. I was finally able to say I was the first one, out of my family of adults, to beat the game. It did not only spark my interest in dungeon crawlers, but also my love for D&D. Thanks EOB :P

Also, the one on snes had better music than the sega(?) one!
Pierzasty

Post by Pierzasty »

For me the great games were:
Dungeon Master - one of the first games I had on my PC. Was tough as hell back then (I didn't have the manual), not much easier later on. I still have the ugly photocopied bootleg walkthrough I bought specifically for this game :)
Eye of the Beholder series - Started not much later, found it much easier and user-friendly in general (I hated the DM magic system, especially since it doubled as a copy protection). Eventually finished the first two games in the series.
Dungeon Master II: Legend of Skullkeep - this game holds a special place in my heart as it was the first game I ran after I bought a sound card. Suddenly the silence, beeps and boops gave way to excellent music, wind blowing in a forest and creepy monster sounds. I think I had to find my jaw on the floor.
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (and Labyrinth of Worlds) Yes, I know they aren't grid-based. Deal with it. The best dungeon crawlers ever and waaay ahead of their time technically - these guys were doing full RPG with dialogue, trading, inventory management with nested containers, flying, bridges, free look before Doom was released!

Also some good ones that I fondly remember:
Perihelion - one of the best games ever when it comes to the mood. I love the music, the setting, the steel-amber palette, etc. Didn't manage to get very far though, again, stupid rune magic system >_<
Black Crypt - played this one with a friend, who was much more of a fan than me. Definitely an interesting game.

And thanks for recommending me some good titles! Having finished Grimrock I have a craving for more dungeon crawlers. For some reason I've never played the first Lands of Lore games (the last one looks like crap, not gonna touch it), I may try again Anvil of Dawn too. The rest goes into a text file I'll try when I get bored.
isamu

Post by isamu »

Are we allowed to vote for Grimrock? :D

If not then Dungeon Master all the way baby! 8-)
Kukulcan

Post by Kukulcan »

My favorite game of all time is Dungeon Master

Loved Dark Crypt, the EoBs where nice but not great.

Right now I am replaying Lands of Lore, which I loved too. It is a great game, but how can people say it inspired LoG much?
- huge overworld
- rather story driven
- very low on puzzles
- nearly no character progession you can influence
- "dynamic" party sharing one inventory
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

Kukulcan wrote:Right now I am replaying Lands of Lore, which I loved too. It is a great game, but how can people say it inspired LoG much?
Because there are no barriers to publication on the internet anymore and most comments you see on most subjects are written by people unqualified to make any commentary on anything at all. My best guess to their reasoning is that they are two games with some similarities and one came before the other.

Best flickscreen/grid based game ever is Dungeon Master, followed closely by Eye of the Beholder 2. Both are huge influences on Grimrock, DM is more evident in the style, combat and atmosphere and EoB in many of the puzzles, objects and aspects of the character system. But coincidental details aren't evidence of inspiration - for that you have to have a provenant source e.g.

"Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder series are obvious examples but we also kept some of the different takes on the genre in our minds like the Ultima Underworld series and Arx Fatalis. Also modern RPGs like Mass Effect, Skyrim and some of the Final Fantasy games have popped up frequently in our design discussions and a few board games have been good reference as well like Descent: Journeys in the Dark for example." - Antti Tiihonen