General Dungeon Editor glitches and problems

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
SharinaDarkstar

Re: General Dungeon Editor glitches and problems

Post by SharinaDarkstar »

Also, I found out the source of my constant crashes which cause the editor to crash and trash my dungeon so it won't load any more (I then have to manually edit the dungeon.lua file and make changes before it will load again, which obviously those without programming backgrounds would not find very easy):

In every case, it turns out that I had a pit which makes the party fall 3 levels. Nowhere does it say I can't do this, and certainly not that it will trash my dungeon if I try it! What should happen, of course, is that a nice message should come up saying "I've detected that there is a pit that drops three levels - I can't run this game. Please correct." instead of a mysterious "can't index a nil value" error, crash of the editor and a dungeon that will no longer load!
Komag

Post by Komag »

I thought people had pits that went further, but I'm not sure about that
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

I have a 4 floor drop that works fine, perhaps it a combination of plates/trapdoors/timers as they fall, Or teleporters, they are notorious for pit issues.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
SharinaDarkstar

As far as I can tell, as soon as I add a series of 3 pits under each other, the editor crashes when I press play and then won't reload the dungeon until I remove the bottom pit. The only other feature involved is that the middle pits have secret doors (which look like walls) on all four sides with pillars on the corner so that you can't actually see them from the middle levels or jump into them. Yes, there are timers and switches that turn the pits on and off in some cases, but they aren't being activated/deactivated at the time the player jumps into the pit.
Komag

Post by Komag »

When creating a new connection, currently you cannot start typing in a Target, but rather you have to click on something in the dungeon. THEN you can go back and type in something different. I think you should be able to type in at the start (especially useful if the Target is something on a different level)

(I end up just selecting some wrong thing, then typing in the actual Target I want)
SharinaDarkstar

This one irritates me quite a bit :) :

The cut/copy/paste options on the editor menu don't work with script code. If I highlight code in a script entity and choose "copy" from the edit menu, nothing happens. I have to press ctrl-C to copy instead.
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

About the clipboard for scripting code:

one that always gets me is that "old-style" shortcuts for clipboard (Ctrl+Ins => Copy, Shift+Canc => Cut, Shift+Ins => Paste) do not work.

I have to admit that I'm probably one of ten people in the world still using them (and I mix-and-match the old shortcuts and the new quite randomly) so probably the priority of this is -2^31.

Just reported for completeness/nitpicking :mrgreen: :?
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
Adrageron

Post by Adrageron »

I'ts me again, with the report about a dungeon anomalies (spontaneous camera shaking and party poisoning in some places).
I was able to localize the source by deleting all entities, level by level, and checking if the bug occurs after that. And then I finally found it :)
1. When spawner with an ice shards is activated, the camera shaking effect occurs in it's coordinates at all levels. So, while party is under or above ice shard spammer, it will be a permanent earthquake.
2. Poisonous effect is generated by the gerater poison bolt spawner (in all squares under and above the one, in wich bolt hits the wall).
Komag

Post by Komag »

Bug discovered:

damageTile() causes crash if the monster is in "guard" state and hasn't been interacted with in any way

(if I first trigger a setHealth to reduce the "guard" monster's health, then the damageTile() will work on it)

the crash error is "attempt to index a nil value"
Edsploration

Post by Edsploration »

Some bugs I've found:
  • The party's onTurn hook is bypassable by dragging right click to look to an adjacent tile. This breaks any logic relying on the onTurn hook.
  • The innermost pixel of the dividers on either side of the Map View change the mouse cursor to a drag icon, but it is not sensitive to dragging. This a minor bug but I seem to click in that false-sensitive area 50% of the time and it's driving me nuts.
Open Project -> Community FrankenDungeon: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4276