Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Jack Dandy

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Jack Dandy »

Do you think visual "fog" would be adjustable as well? For example, would it be possible to make it so when you're without a torch, it will almost be pitch black?
petri

Post by petri »

Thels wrote:Am I imagining this the correct way: First, in the map editor, I draw a room surrounded with walls and one hallway out. I place a door in the hallway, and a stepping stone in the middle of the room. Then in Lua, I write a code that whenever the party or an object is placed upon the stepping stone, the door opens?
Yep, that's the plan.

As for the rest of your questions, we haven't really planned that far yet. But frankly that level of modding support would require lots of changes to the game engine. Let's first see how the modding community takes off before making any decisions or promises.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

That does make sense. I'll leave you to it then :)

Hoping for the best!
Firing

Post by Firing »

petri wrote: Done:
- Initial planning
- Script editor
- Design for entity serialization in game readable format
- Integrated dungeon editor into game code base

Work in progress:
- Map view

Todo:
- Clean up global variables in code editor
- New revamped IMGUI
- Entity serialization
- Object inspector
- Load/Save dungeon
- Exporting and packaging all files of an user made dungeon into single file
- Add support for user made dungeons to New Game dialog
Good news

Thank you for all: the great game, the support, the progress info, the editor when it's done, ...
Have a great weekend, guys.
stillevande

Post by stillevande »

petri wrote:
Thels wrote:Am I imagining this the correct way: First, in the map editor, I draw a room surrounded with walls and one hallway out. I place a door in the hallway, and a stepping stone in the middle of the room. Then in Lua, I write a code that whenever the party or an object is placed upon the stepping stone, the door opens?
Yep, that's the plan.

As for the rest of your questions, we haven't really planned that far yet. But frankly that level of modding support would require lots of changes to the game engine. Let's first see how the modding community takes off before making any decisions or promises.
Oh, you wont have to worry about that. You've filled a void in the gaming community thats been around for close to 20 years. I know Im not the only one that is chomping at the bit to start modding. :)
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

justanotherjay wrote:Portal Mod for Grimrock ? :>
There's a section on one of the lower levels that does something along those lines.
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I was maybe hoping for a bunch of tags/flags that can be attached / shared by entities.

That is to say, Tag 101 on both a door and a pressure plate, which equals "open door". You just flag both entities with 101 and voila!

I know this example is pretty direct and likely improbable for Grimrock but here's how teleportation works in another famous engine:

What I'm saying is, I was hoping for at least some built-in functionality that doesn't require scripting for basic tasks that could be done through entity anchors.
DJK

Post by DJK »

Curunir wrote:I was maybe hoping for a bunch of tags/flags that can be attached / shared by entities.

That is to say, Tag 101 on both a door and a pressure plate, which equals "open door". You just flag both entities with 101 and voila!

I know this example is pretty direct and likely improbable for Grimrock but here's how teleportation works in another famous engine:

What I'm saying is, I was hoping for at least some built-in functionality that doesn't require scripting for basic tasks that could be done through entity anchors.
I agree, basic stuff as linking buttons to doors or pressure plates to doors, teleports to locations, pressure plates to pits etc... could be done with a "trigger-action" gui.. (with just having a "action id" and have two items designated the same id (for example a pressure plate and a door) and then one acts as a trigger (you can define the trigger, for example, only activate on walk over, only activate with item, has to have item on at all times, only once etc etc) and the other as a action (and again you define the action... door open, door close...)
Thels

Post by Thels »

A Gui would always be more limited than Lua, but at the same time mean more work for the designers. Considering that you probably want different pressure plates to handle differently for different doors, the Gui would feel very limiting.

Really, opening and closing doors by lua code should be pretty easy!
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Thels wrote:Really, opening and closing doors by lua code should be pretty easy!
It appears to be incredibly easy.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog