Automap didn't ruin my game!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Colthorn

Re: Automap didn't ruin my game!

Post by Colthorn »

hapro wrote:The only thing I find mapping really useful for is making notes of areas I missed/doors I couldn't figure out so I can go back and try them later if I want to. It's not too tough to keep a mental model of the current level you're on, and unless you're regularly going back 2-3 floor for some reason, that should be enough.

The automap feature allows notes ;)
Magic_Missile

Post by Magic_Missile »

Meh, My memory is fine.. Mental Map FTW! :D
hapro

Post by hapro »

Colthorn wrote:
hapro wrote:The only thing I find mapping really useful for is making notes of areas I missed/doors I couldn't figure out so I can go back and try them later if I want to. It's not too tough to keep a mental model of the current level you're on, and unless you're regularly going back 2-3 floor for some reason, that should be enough.

The automap feature allows notes ;)
Which I use :)
regomar

Post by regomar »

Darklord wrote:I've completed the first 3 levels so far without any mapping at all, is starting to get somewhat confusing but I'm coping! :D

Daniel.
I've been doing this too. The first few levels are fairly straight forward and not easy to get lost in with a little sense of direction. Hopefully this gets harder (more labyrinthine) in the later levels.
Zorglub

Post by Zorglub »

Disasterrific wrote:I don't know if it was a conscious decision but tucking away the automap button also discourages you from hammering on it the whole time.
Tab. Yeah, sorry, now you won't be able to resist :-) Muahahahaha!
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

I adore the map. It's beautifully implemented. A joy to interact with from a usability perspective.
evilskillit

Post by evilskillit »

I've gotten through the first 3 or 4 levels using just my brain, no maps or compass. Found a lot of secrets too. However as I go down and start to get stuck i'll use some graph paper. I'm going to try and not use automap on my first play through. Totally using it on the 2nd tho. :D
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

I am a person who gets very, very lost, even in real life with a GPS. Auto mapping makes these games PLAYABLE to me.

It's not like I'm incapable of pausing the game every few steps and writing down notes on graph paper, but that doesn't give me the same joy it gives you all, so I'm glad they removed the busywork portion of it. I still make a lot of pin notes on the in-game map because there's still lots of puzzles to take note of like that.