New monster proposals

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
uggardian

Re: New monster proposals

Post by uggardian »

Does anyone remember the rhino kinda monsters from dungeon master 2? What made them interesting is that they attacked you only if you were on their way or attacked them. So they were relatively easy to avoid early in the game when they were too tough to kill, but you could come back later for their meat.

I hope not every creature in Grimrock 2 will charge to fight you immediately after seen.

How about creatures that are for example afraid of fire, so that swinging your torch or casting firespells would make them flee? Or perhaps savages that would usually attack you but they won't, if you're holding a golden statue in party member's hand (the statue would be a well hidden treasure)? Or spirits in the dark forest that try to slowly steal all the lifeforce from your champion and they would wake your party up if you're trying to sleep. Maybe they could also move through walls and doors (they are spirits after all!)?

In my opinion the spider's poison in Grimrock 1 was too weak. I mean, I never needed to use antivenoms to cure the poison. It's good that some poisons are weak but there should also be enemies with deadlier venoms. They would slowly kill you even if you're trying to sleep. That's what antivenoms and poison shields are for.

Also, maybe some enemies could roar/scream as a secondary attack so that champions with low will would "be scared". Being scared would be another condition like poison and rage, but honestly I have no idea what fear could cause (reduce of will,energy,slower cooldown or not being able to sleep???).
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

1. I hope for more humanoids creature (Guardsmen etc...) which will die in some blod animation when killed (not this poor spark animation)
2. Some kind of invisible monsters (like invisible archer, when you will see just arows hiting you and some kind of shadow on the ground eventualy)
3. "classic" monsters from RPG (Beholder, demons, mantis, minotaurs, etc...) but this will be very story dependant I suppose
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Komag

Post by Komag »

oh I hope it doesn't get bloody. Grimrock was very nice to avoid that I think.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
thomson

Post by thomson »

Corpses: Once I kill a monster, it would be cool if its corpse could lie down. Disappearing in a magic smoke is good performance wise, but it is not cool. Speaking of dead monsters, some of them should leave some body parts (e.g. wolf's claw, orge's tooth etc.). This could be used as an ingredient to brew potions.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
petri

Post by petri »

Just wanted to pop in and say that monsters in log2 will be more complicated than their older cousins. The most complex one (currently) has 6 different kinds of attacks/powers.

And yes, there will be new conditions, and some of the old conditions will be much nastier and not so easily cured *evil grin*
Komag

Post by Komag »

Yay, poison will actually matter now :D
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

That sounds awesome, Petri!
@Komag: Perhaps a middle ground would be toggle-able gore.

@Thomson re:Corpses
Unless there was a looting mechanic for corpses (like looting a chest, almost) I wouldn't mind if there were no corpses. At the end of the day, it's a minor aesthetic to me and could easily do without.
As for body part pieces, I like that to an extent. So long as crafting isn't an integral part of the game, and I never have to do a fetch 20 wolf's tails quest, it should be alright.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Gaelen

Post by Gaelen »

Ghosts

Treants

Rock Golems

Water Elementals

Bats

Large Snakes
C0nrad

Post by C0nrad »

Drakkan wrote:1. I hope for more humanoids creature (Guardsmen etc...) which will die in some blod animation when killed (not this poor spark animation)
If you decide to add human creatures (like guards), please make them scary (and unusual in some way). Do you remember the eyeless guard in 'Elvira. Mistress of the dark''?
He was pretty scary (not to mention, the good fighter, too). IMO, single, eyeless fat soldier with deformed face could be the nice mini-boss to fight with :-)
thomson

Post by thomson »

Unkillable monsters - players usually tend to move forward in the dungeon getting rid of all monsters in the process. When a stronger opponent appears, players usually have a place to run that was "wiped out", so they have to deal with one problem at a time. This mechanics would change completely is some rare monsters would get incapacitated (the golem seems stunned for now; you chopped so many tentacles from that shoggoth that he falls down, lies without much movement and breathes heavily, etc.) for some time rather than completely dead. There are many cases where such mini-boss would be an interesting twist. For example I was thinking about haunted swamps that besides the usual swampy suspects have an old, underwater abomination that is sort of immortal and the only viable strategy is to stun him and run (Lovecraft, anyone?). This should not be abused, obviously. Too many monsters that respawn on their own would be annoying.

Possible extra feature: he would lie down in its incapacitated form. There could be a puzzle to stun a monster in specific place ("even 4 champions were not heavy enough to push down this pressure plate, but this huge daemon was.")

Naked goromorg - We all know how cute goromorg's faces are :) I was always wondering how a naked goromorg looks like. It could be a monster with lots of tentacles. Actually, just tentacles with nothing else. He could have a special attack that wraps his tentacle around a weapon or even armor (helmet?) and pulls it away from champions' hands. The weapon wouldn't be gone, just land on the same grid as the monster, so it would be inaccessible until the monster is slain or move.

Ogre's charge - We've all been hit by a charging ogre. Many died that way. The punch is so powerful that can kill someone. It could also rupture backpack and some items could fall out. There could be a tearing sound, so player won't be surprised that his inventory is gone. Just need to get back and pick up your stuff. Not that easy with a charging orges around, though.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources