Can you grind

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
steff74

Re: Can you grind

Post by steff74 »

I think this is an important and interesting question since this is one of the big differences between (hopefully) this game and open world games.
Open world games adjust to the user and his level - if you level your user, the enemies will also get stronger to keep balance which is in my opinion the main issue why I do not play open world games anymore.
In Dungeon Master for example (I believe) the devs implemented the balance and if someone is unexperienced in role playing games and finds some way to level up for easier moving on in the dungeon - why not?
steff74

Post by steff74 »

Mameluk wrote:More people than you'd think, actually.

My theory is that as people of the old hogged much food in case of a 'bad day', the people of today like to hog stuff like money, physical collectibles and experience points, for example. Everyone can agree that it makes you feel safer to know that you have enough food and money to survive, same as if you would be in a virtual dungeon, you'd feel safer to know that you're stronger than your enemies, which is why you'd want to grind and get more levels. I'd say it's not as much of a psychological factor as it is genetic, but I won't get into that much detail.
Agree
czarship

Post by czarship »

Behing overpowered might ruin the survival atmosphere. I get chills down my spine when the 2 Uggardians move in sync towards the camera during the trailer. Danger inspired fear.
Lawbringer

Post by Lawbringer »

Actually grinding sucks, but if im on hard and geting destroyed by the "main quest" enemies then i want to be able to go and grind a bit and come back, that is a staple of any RPG and you know it
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

Will 'stair dancing' be possible?
(That's how I defeated the Red Dragon of Dungeon Master in the end...) :oops:

Last edited by Mychaelh on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I can't say I like to grind, that being said I will kill all respawned enemies any time I'm in the area, (unless I really cannot be bothered) more xp means more skill points after all! :D

I think it is important to have the option at least. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
steff74

Post by steff74 »

SpoilerShow
I didn't check all the treads now but it seems you can get unlimeted experience in level 6 near the haunted halls where good tasting snails respawn
choasrepeated

Post by choasrepeated »

Yes there is.
SpoilerShow
So level 6 is pretty good for grinding, you have a room that spawns snails on a slow timer, essential for grinding as otherwise you'll go hungry.
Additionally next to it you have a room spawning the undead soldiers great for grinding small exp but easy kills, then you have the fire room that that if you click the switches (and maybe fall down the trap door, not sure if that is required or not will spawn the fire knight guys.
Personally I didn't bother grinding for exp, however I do have a note on my map called "snail buffet" as running low on food can be a pain.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

There's other options to,
SpoilerShow
Later on you get Fire guys & Crabs respawning, and then dinosaurs to.
Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Melvoid

Post by Melvoid »

Yup i have found this to be true but.....
SpoilerShow
I have found the snails dont give xp after a while although the Crabs and especially the Uggardians in the fire halls do ( 500 xp per kill for me at least) and dont forget to shut the doors after yourself or they like to go walkies and seem to turn up where your least expecting them, which could be a shock when you decide to rest or be afk in what you thought was an empty area.