Making magical melee weapons

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
akroma222

Re: Making magical melee weapons

Post by akroma222 »

Changed the names (obviously) and added the code to objects.lua.... working perfectly, thanks again guys!!! :D
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

yep just change the name to whatever weapon you make and whatever spell you want connected to that what.

I dont know how to attach charges to this so that the magic wont last forever but at least this is something.

LG
Dungeon Master and DOOM will live forever.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Oh it is fantastic!! I had been trying to get this to work for a while but gave up (at no time was I close to code that you guys have) ... so all good..
I think frostburst (freezing enemies every attack could be over powered) so I guess my weapon will have to be found later in the game...

I have some experience creating wand/weapons but I do not think this will do for what you are looking for:
SpoilerShow

Code: Select all

defineObject{
	name = "storm_bolter",
	class = "Item",
	uiName = "Storm Bolter",
	model = "assets/models/items/crossbow.fbx",
	skill = "missile weapons",
	requiredLevel = 20,
	gfxIndex = 14,
	attackPower = 20,
	coolDownTime = 5,
	attackMethod = "castWandSpell",
	spell = "lightning_bolt",
	description = "This crossbow has been charged with the powers of the Thunder Gods.",
	wandPower = 27,
	charges = 18,
	rangedWeapon = false,
	emptyItem = "storm_bolter_empty",
	weight = 1.7,
}

defineObject{
	name = "storm_bolter_empty",
	class = "Item",
	uiName = "Storm Bolter(Empty)",
	model = "assets/models/items/crossbow.fbx",
	description = "This crossbow has been charged with the powers of the Thunder Gods.",
	gfxIndex = 14,
	skill = "missile weapons",
	requiredLevel = 20,
	attackPower = 20,
	accuracy = 0,
	coolDownTime = 5,
	attackMethod = "rangedAttack",
	attackSound = "swipe_bow",
	impactSound = "impact_blunt",
	rangedWeapon = true,
	ammo = "quarrel",
	weight = 1.7,	
}
It is just a crossbow, changed to a wand... but will revert back to a usable crossbow when the charges have run out.
But I guess you are after a weapon that functions as a weapon to begin with (+with a limited amount of magic uses) hmmm...
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

looking to make melee weapons that do melee and magic at the same time.

The code above that I posted does that but it is unlimited. No charges to stop it.

I am fine with my ice weapons and magma weapon continually doing magic damage but I wanted the other spell enchanted weapons to have a limit.

I plan on putting in a few ingredients and make enchantment potions then the potion could be combined with a weapon and then the weapon is enchanted with that spell.

LG
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Indeed! That is a truly awesome idea ;)
Are you creating new new herbal ingedients for these enchantment potions btw?? I have created a bunch with re-coloured models/icons/scripts... I can send them over if you like
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

thx for the offer I have my ideas on paper already and I will be making a bunch of minerals that will make up the recipes for various spell enchantments. I have 12 recipes for 12 spells ready.

LG
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

whee

What a coding nightmare.

14 swords with each spell on each sword and recipes coded. 16 warhammers with each spell on each warhammer and recipes coded. 14 battleaxes with each spell on each battleaxe and recipes coded. 4 flails with each spell on each flail and recipes coded. 4 halberds with each spell on each halberd and recipes coded.

All done :o :shock:

Dont think I will put spell enchantments on bows or daggers.

LG
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Very keen to see the finished work! (or the name of the dungeon in which I might find them) well done :)
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

The name of my dungeon will be "DUNGEON MASTER THE LORD OF CHAOS". I have to a little more work to do with getting some icons for wizard pants and wizard gloves and then playtesting. I dont know if I will wait for the ability for new classes and skills and for cloned mortar and pestle to work. I would like to make a hammer and anvil for crafting off of a cloned mortar but we will see. I have ideas for end game crafting and I definitely want to put crafting in my sequel game which will be called. "DUNGEON MASTER II HexMargarth Mountain.

Anyway we will see.

LG
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Sounds very cool indeed, I didn't know that people were planning new classes (everyone wants it obviously but was not sure if it was seriously viable)...
Clearly it is possible though, given Toorum's ranger class... exciting!
Is there a thread where this is going on???
I shall look out for your dungeon good sir