What a sequel to this game would need

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
JinX

Re: What a sequel to this game would need

Post by JinX »

Encephalon wrote:If there was large outdoor locations it wouldn't really be a dungeon crawler. The same goes for the suggestion for camera angles and weather. And with money, shops and taverns it would end up depending on buying weapons and armour, instead of make do with whatever you find.

A few new classes could be nice, but then I hope Almost Human come up with something a bit more original than the standard classes. LoG was refreshing by straying from the norm when it came to races, so I hope they keep it that way in other aspects, too. If they introduce rangers, druids, clerics, bards etc I sincerely hope they mold the class into something else that the stereotypical class, and something more fitting the Northern Realms.

I don't quite see why there should be a medallion, or any other item, that should aid in finding secrets. However, there could have been a log where the differend characters could come up with remarks (perhaps even vocal, though I have no idea what an insectoid would sound like) to provide clues to puzzles or secret door locations. If the party has passed a location of a secret door a given number of times without discovering it, one of the characters may come with a remark like: "It feels like there's a draft here. Strange." or "Something about this wall seems... odd." Especially it the secret is essential to be able to continue.

Some belt slots would have been welcome, to hold potions for easy access in the heat of battle. A few more types of potions would also be welcome.
I also like the idea of starting off with just one or two characters, and being able to find others to join your group. Either alive, or their remains which you could resurrect at a lifestone.

I love the magic system with runes, and they open for many possibilities for new spells, including spells to heal.
1)Well it's medieval environment made me suggest classes that are somewhat believable in such a contest, but if it would have been settled in a post atomic cyberpunk location, I would have suggested different ones(as for such an environment I would suggest to play Perihelion (go to Edward Torth homepage and you can download it freely, when I was stuck, he also helped via mail to solve a riddle)which is an awesome RPG with very unique classes( LOL has Insectoid too :) ), great feeling, music and setting).

Also a Cyberpunk Dungeon Crawling game would be an amazing Idea for a new crawler not a sequel of LoG(that reminds me of game like Perihelion as I already mentioned or Hired Guns, mentioning some great oldies for Amiga).
For inspiration I suggest these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W04pCezt7C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRWGo-KRn88

2) Your idea of the characters spotting something after passing X times in the same area is a good idea, much better than mine :D

3)The later ideas are nice too, I like the runes system too, what I didn't like is having to re-trace the same runes for same spells again and again.
Encephalon

Post by Encephalon »

JinX wrote:2) Your idea of the characters spotting something after passing X times in the same area is a good idea, much better than mine :D
That one is something I remembered from EotB2. There was a small log at the bottom of the screen where there sometimes came comments or descriptions. Some were pure roleplaying which just described something, others were subtle hints to a nearby secret or puzzle. Which where great, as it also brought some life to the characters.
JinX wrote:3)The later ideas are nice too, I like the runes system too, what I didn't like is having to re-trace the same runes for same spells again and again.
I have to partly agree to that one. I tend to get a little panicked when I'm trying to select the runes of a spell in the middle of combat. :lol: Especially if I can't quite remember the combination. For this a spellbook would have been nice, where you can look up the rune combinations for all the spells your character has discovered.
You know you're screwed when the light at the end of the hallway is an onrushing ogre wielding a torch.
BlueSpace

Post by BlueSpace »

JinX wrote:I've to say that the game is amazing for having being created by only 4 guys(like in the old times), and the old school style of dungeon crawling(constrained movement with enhanced looking freedom and beatiful graphics) is the most important thing, that must remain the same.

Still here are some ideas, to improve the game in a possible Sequel:

1)Outside locations with beautiful environments like in The Witcher 2. :idea:
- a) This means also a bit larger environments and with changing weather conditions(like raining, cloudy sky, sun, maybe even snowing in some locations).
- b) Currently max dungeon width is around 10 squares, considering outside environments should have higher visibility conditions(at least in bright sunny day), you could go to 12-14 squares maintaining FOV.
- c) Maybe slightly different FOV or camera angle for the bigger outside environments.
- d) Cities with Taverns for Hiring already prebuilt characters (like in the Ishar Trilogy) possibility to buy stuff or trade stuff, maybe selling the treasures found in this chapter to make a bit of money to start in the sequel.
- e)Possiblity to dismiss, assassinate a party member like in Ishar.
2)Random events/enemies (not always but maybe in the outskirts) and loot, with magical items(that must be identified by a Magician Spell), random passing caravans near cities(or in the outskirt) for trading.
- a)Trading system, with gems, gold, silver coins.
- b)Quests scripted and partially random(Get me these ingredients Example XY wolves/other animal or beast fur/eyes/teeth and I'll give you ring/amulet/weapon/tool/potion/scroll).

3)Quickslots for potions (which currently are very tough to use, and for spells at least not needing to reselect all the runes to cast same spell) - These are a must :!:
- a) The numbers in the keyboard should be used for quick slots not for Characters Inventories (For those F1-F4 should be better) at least give us 2 quickslots for Energy and Health like in Diablo)
- b) More hotkeys

4)More Classes, like druids(beast self-transformation...Bear, and low level enemy transformation), clerics(turn undead...)... :idea:

5)A medallion to find secrets more easily, like the Wolf medallion (from The Witcher 2) but with a limited number of charges and high price to recharge for not abusing to solve the riddles(wich are very cool right now). :?:

6)Magical Traps (possibility to 1-Create them, 2-Detect Them 3-Disable them for the Mage class). 8-)

7)Mages, Druids should cast spells by saying something out loud. :!:

8)New dungeon types, like Caverns (with Dome shaped environments, currently only Cube shape is available), descending in Wells, Crypts, Ruins, outskirt (Woods, Forests, Jungles,Ghost Cities).

These are the most important things for an improved sequel, and IMHO they wouldn't be too much difficult to implement, for the rest the game is already very cool, for the actual price.

JinX.
1) Bigger can be nicer although outdoor locations in grid based games tend to feel a bit strange. Inside a dungeon the grid movement feels somehow ok but outside I always found it a bit strange. I would be completely fine with an outdoor map, where you just travel from town to town and have the option to enter dungeons/shops without actually walking around.

2)
a) Trading would be nice but by no means required I think.
b) No collect x quests please... I played WoW and every time a game asks me now to collect x of y... My immediate reaction is to ask why don't you take x and shove it up your z.

3)
a) No No No... even Diablo 3 has done away with the drink one million potion system. It is really boring and adds nothing for me to the gameplay.
b) Clicking is fun...

4) There are already several "classes". People just need to stop thinking of fighter=fighter and rogue=rogue. I can build ninjas/monks, archers, fire mages, ice mages, berserkers and so on... I find the skill tree extremely clever and it is made to customize your character to whatever you want it to be. Maybe introduce some healing spells and expand the skill trees a little. But more class buttons are not really needed for me.

5) No

6) Why not, nice spell idea

7) You either add complete soundwork (expensive) or you keep it minimalistic as they did. So yes if they can afford it, would be nice. But I prefer them to spend resources to make a bigger game, then worry about adding more sounds.

8) Similar to 1)... Yes more LoG!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

This would make a game I'd enjoy, it wouldn't really be LoG any more of course. Sounds much closer to Ishar, and yeah I'd love an Ishar clone made by the AH guys! :P

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Callipygous

Post by Callipygous »

oodyboo wrote:A "2" at the end of the name.
^this
Greco

Post by Greco »

I would like a team of 6 members, possibly the last 2 being NPC characters that will join the party during the game. This was a feature I loved in EOB. Also I would like more classes and (priests, monks, etc), races (dwarfs)
Thels

Post by Thels »

Greco wrote:I would like a team of 6 members, possibly the last 2 being NPC characters that will join the party during the game. This was a feature I loved in EOB.
While I loved this feature a lot as well, I wonder if 4 PCs + 2 NPCs would be the way to go for LoG. I think starting out with 1-2 PCs, and then use NPCs to fill it up to 4 characters would work better. Of course, that requires the NPCs to appear a little earlier in the game than they did in EoB1.
Greco wrote:Also I would like more classes and (priests, monks, etc)
I agree that the Priest would be nice.

Monk? There's already the Unarmed skill that both Fighters and Rogues could learn. What skills do you think the Monk would have, that would set it apart from Fighters and Rogues?
Greco wrote:races (dwarfs)
I'm pretty sure the devs set the Northern Realms does not have the common races like Elves and Dwarves, but we might see creatures such as Ratmen eventually.

As for your Dwarf, a Minotaur with lots of Strength and Vitality seems to fit the bill? You can always give him a Dwarf portrait in your own runs.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Thels wrote: As for your Dwarf, a Minotaur with lots of Strength and Vitality seems to fit the bill? You can always give him a Dwarf portrait in your own runs.
I used a human myself gave him the Poison Resistant & Tough traits, and made him into a sturdy fighter. Add IWD artwork of an awesome dwarf and were sorted. :P

Short humans definitely exist in the Northern Realms! :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Sagagemini

Post by Sagagemini »

1) Outdoor areas

2) Ability to recruit 2 new members to your party (total 6).

3) Find up to 5 NPCs during your adventure willing to join your party with a bit of story behind them.

4) Ghosts

5) User-Friendly Spell Tome (the one in LoG sucked)
Encephalon

Post by Encephalon »

I've seen a few post about spellcasting and runes. Personally I love the rune system, even though it can cause some panic during a battle and the health bars show little of the red.
I have already suggested a spellbook where one could look up all known rune combinations. Now I came up with the possibility of a few quickspell slots. 1, 2 or 3 slots (perhaps dependent on character level or Spellcraft skill) where one can allocate a spell one uses often. So instead of clicking all the runes each time you'll want to cast yor favourite spell you could use it with one click.
You know you're screwed when the light at the end of the hallway is an onrushing ogre wielding a torch.