Please FIX the XP system!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
amnnor

Re: Please FIX the XP system!

Post by amnnor »

delacroix21 wrote:I was LOVING this game at first, but now I find it a chore to play. The whole "each party member must hit the enemy to get full XP" is absolutely annoying, and made more so by monsters in groups of 2 or more. I find myself saving and reloading often as 1 party member does not get full XP. Furthermore, it is distracting from just playing the game and using tactics into forcing the player to micromanage and actually prevent other characters from attacking until the 1 party member who missed his attack gets a hit to connect.

Guys, this is a great game dont get me wrong. But this XP thing is plain stupid and should be changed.
While you are free to play as you like, I don't think your focus on XP is needed. Through four levels the split between my groups XP totals has been up to 400 (as far as I've seen, admittedly I don't check often) and is currently around 200 between the most and least experienced member. This includes a large portion of the second (I think) level where two members were out for a large stretch.

Like I said, play the way you want or enjoy, but if you focus on the game itself and not a meta game of squeezing every drop of XP into every party member you may find it more enjoyable. You may also find you end up with very near the same result level wise.
delacroix21

Post by delacroix21 »

I just personally find the system annoying, as characters are progressing at very different rates. A simple patch fix would "fix" the problem, rather than force me to try and "ignore" the problem.

I shouldnt have to strategize each fight to make sure characters are getting hits in, this should really fixed.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

delacroix21 wrote:I just personally find the system annoying, as characters are progressing at very different rates. A simple patch fix would "fix" the problem, rather than force me to try and "ignore" the problem.
So a proper fix would be to hide all the experience goodies from you, so you could ignore it better. =)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
robc

Post by robc »

The part that doesn't make sense to me with the current system is that attacking in combat isn't the only valuable contribution a character can make. I high dodge character in the front row adds value by staying alive and drawing attacks while others cause damage. A mage's invisibility and light spell can be valuable without getting any XP for it. But, it is silly to call the system broken. The game played fine the way it is, but I agree that a different system would have been more enjoyable for me.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Thats really being anal..it all evens out in the end. I am on level 8. Have not paid one bit of attention to that factor, and all my characters are the same level and within 1500 xp of each other. WHy would you even worry about it. The point is someone is going to get the XP. This is something there is no need to patch. Actually 3 of them are within 200 XP of each other.

ALso..why should they patch the game just for you.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Drax wrote:
Loktofeit wrote:
dark wrote:Well, apparently the devs thought about this too, why else did they put an amulet in the game that gives one party member an extra 25% XP?
Wait... what?!? Do want! Share spoiler?
SpoilerShow
There's an amulet located as a secret on 6 (I think) that gives the member wearing it 25% more xp.
*Spoiler - Level 6 - Item*
SpoilerShow
It's called the Spirit Mirror Pendant and it is maddening to find.
delacroix21

Post by delacroix21 »

There will always be fanbois that will fight any fix to a flawed game mechanic (believing the game to be perfection) but really thats all thats being asked for, a fix for a flaw.

The most compelling arguement made against this fix is "well my characters xp is only a few hundred difference from each other, its not that bad." Thats not much of an arguement for the current XP system being correct as is. If anything it reinforces that it is flawed, but the flaw is minor and not too noticeable. Its still a flaw however, and one easily fixed by the next patch.
Gothmog

Post by Gothmog »

Can't say ive ever cared one guy has more xp than the others tbh if my fireball one volleys the poor wee beastie just means my mage gets even more awsome man i love maxed out fireballs...
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Somebody please correct me if I'm worng, but wasn't this system old-school as well? I seem to remember Ultima: Exodus having this kind of system.

In any case, I like it this way. It forces me to use my entire party, instead of just relying on the tanks.
Draconicus

Post by Draconicus »

SpiderFighter wrote:Somebody please correct me if I'm worng, but wasn't this system old-school as well? I seem to remember Ultima: Exodus having this kind of system.

In any case, I like it this way. It forces me to use my entire party, instead of just relying on the tanks.
Yes.
If my memory don't fail me this was the Exp system used in Eye of the Beholder games! It is working as entended...No fix need it at all. answering to the OP!

I was and i am yet a HuGE fan of the Eye of the Beholder saga, i played so many tmes EotB 1, 2 & 3 ...God, how i miss that days!! I am extremly happy to see this new game coming alive this days. It will feed my brain for sure :mrgreen:
Congratulations for all the ones who contributed to make this game a reality!! ** I Bow to you...*!
Last edited by Draconicus on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.